Black bear with a 54 cal round ball.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ihookem

Reaction score
I have a bear tag for Wisconsin this fall and wondering if anyone has shot bear with their roundballs. My only concern is them running off before I get a second shot, and that is very unlikely.

I have a bear tag for Wisconsin this fall and wondering if anyone has shot bear with their roundballs. My only concern is them running off before I get a second shot, and that is very unlikely.

Are you going to hunt over bait or use dogs? Over bait my longest shot on bear has been about 22 yards and in every instance the bear was stationary. Any of my bear could have been poked with a very well-placed round ball. Personally though, I'd never humor a round ball on a bear unless it's from at least a .54, maybe a .58 cal. .... you'll want some major-league umph.

I'm hoping for my MN bear this year. If I get the ticket I'll use the Optima pistol with some Barnes fodder. Good luck on your hunt!

Bear are soft bodied just like deer not hard to kill as long as you hit them good, a .54 rb is going to put a big hole thru the vitals. Dont know from persoal experience but a kid I grew up withs Dad killed a couple with a .54 Renegade and rb.

Are you going to hunt over bait or use dogs? Over bait my longest shot on bear has been about 22 yards and in every instance the bear was stationary. Any of my bear could have been poked with a very well-placed round ball. Personally though, I'd never humor a round ball on a bear unless it's from at least a .54, maybe a .58 cal. .... you'll want some major-league umph.

I'm hoping for my MN bear this year. If I get the ticket I'll use the Optima pistol with some Barnes fodder. Good luck on your hunt!

I will be hunting over bait and the shot will likely be 25 yards. The only reason I even ask is cause I had a bad experience ,,,, but turned out to be one of my best hunts of my life. Those beard can run, and they dont always bleed out ,, and they can be very hard to find.

You put a 54 cal ball in the boiler room and he won't go far. Remember though their lungs set further back than a deer's. Search the internet for their anatomy images.

You'll be throwing 230 grains of lead with a round ball, not many things are going to stand up to that.

A RB should do the job but for me a .54 430gr maxi ball is in order.

I just might try my 360 gr. conical that I make with my Lee mold for my 50 cal. If it shoots good with my 1/48" twist I might go that way and dont think it will make much difference.

That 58 with a 500 gr. bullet would kick like my super light barreled 45-70 gov. and that is a lot of kick.

Back