Black/Blue Scout.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBAhunter

Reaction score
Has anyone had one converted? Which breech plug did you have installed? Barrel consistent from muzzle to breech?

I'm having one converted for my dad now. I went with the Hankins ignition for the 45/70 break actions. I haven't got to see how consistent the barrel is yet, but hopefully being a Bergera, it should be okay. The only thing I've read is that you can't run near the loads that you can in a bolt build. Im probably gonna combat that by moving to a 225-250gr projectile.

I got a new Scout today. Now I need a breech plug installed. Will probably go with ASG 209 plug. I will eventually get the DI replacement plug.

I got a new Scout today. Now I need a breech plug installed. Will probably go with ASG 209 plug. I will eventually get the DI replacement plug.
I was thinking about it after I made the post.I will get the DI plug.

I simply can not see why one would mess with DI for no more than maybe 50fps. Carrying around a nut driver and don't drop that from your tree stand and forget about a quick second shot. How about transporting after a days hunt?
For 50fps I'd stick with the ASG 209 system.

I have the DI and it IS a big hassle if you want to hunt with it. Just at the range, it's pretty sweet tho. I have made up a few different short starters that incorporate the nut driver and that helped but not enough to really make it a hunting system. A good fitted 209 plug or a good variflame type system are better.

I use DI in a break action and I will agree that there is a potential hazard when extra tools are required, and the DI user will never win any speed loading contests, but I like it. In a bolt action I use the LMRP brass module system from Hankins (HIS) and love it. The HIS type system can also be used in a break action that has an integral extractor (45-70 conversion) and it works extremely well, is as fast and easy to load as any other system I'm aware of, and no additional tools are needed in the field. I would not even consider another 209 plug/system at this stage of development!

Are you gonna be using this to hunt with? If you are I would seriously try to persuade you to move away from the DIS. If it's strictly a bench gun, then maybe, but any time that you add another variable to a hunting scenario i promise it's gonna go wrong.

There's just not enough benefit for me to see the need. Even with a gain of 100-200fps, in a hunting rig that's one more thing to keep up with, one more step to take, and one more thing to drop on the ground never ti be seen again.

I would second what's already been said. DI is cool I guess, but not practical in any way away from the bench. I don't really see any use for it in a break action as you're limited so much in the loads you can shoot. I'm my opinion, if yo use on a budget and want a break action to get into the smokeless game, by all means go for it. They're great guns for hunting. But also accept the limitations and work within the m to make it the best at what it was meant to be used for.

I think there’s guns that were built to be good hunting rifles and guns that were built to be great on the bench. A lot of them can do both reasonably well, but in general the better a gun is on the bench, the worse it is for being in the woods and vice versa. Just my opinion, but DI was made for the bench.

I don't see DI as anymore of a hassle than the others. The plug I plan to use can be switched to the 209 plug, if I change my mind about DI.
My plan is simple. Accurate, low recoil deer killing loads for </=150yards.I'm looking at Barnes 10mm 155gr.,Barnes 195gr.,Fury 225gr. with HLB sabots with some N110. Maybe in the future some sabotless loads. Barnes 45 ACP.185gr., Barnes 200gr XPB., Barnes 225gr XPB again with N110.

I don't see DI as anymore of a hassle than the others. The plug I plan to use can be switched to the 209 plug, if I change my mind about DI.
My plan is simple. Accurate, low recoil deer killing loads for </=150yards.I'm looking at Barnes 10mm 155gr.,Barnes 195gr.,Fury 225gr. with HLB sabots with some N110. Maybe in the future some sabotless loads. Barnes 45 ACP.185gr., Barnes 200gr XPB., Barnes 225gr XPB again with N110.
Well if you switch to the 209 plug then you're losing the lrmp. It sounds like you've made up your mind already anyways. The DI can for sure be used for hunting, it just isn't optimum.

Most, not all, folks who have negative things to say about DI have never used it. DI is slower to reload but not enough to really matter. DI is super efficient and clean. There is no bushing to ever wear out! It is an option for hunting and a good one IMO, but not for everyone and that's OK, there are other options.

So, when you're through with a days hunting and have to travel in a vehicle, we all know that rifle can not stay primed. So you back out the DI and how much powder falls out?

It may appeal to some, which is certainly ok. I don't have it and don't want it especially with a bolt and I spend a lot more time on the bench than most and have yet to wear out a bushing. I know shooters with it. When you have to use a tool to remove the DI, that takes effectively more time, then you repeat the process to charge the rifle. If ;) a second shot is needed, it'll be a much longer process.
Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

I have one DI module that i painted red and it has a fired LRMP in it. I have used it to transport a loaded ML a couple times. Point the muzzle down and pull the primed module and replace it with the red module. Works pretty well. I honestly think that its faster to reload than a flintlock. But then i have no flintlocks.
Ive had a couple situations where ive gotten 2nd and once even a 3rd shot. Not with DI tho. The DI would present a slower reload, not too bad IF you practice and get proficient. Its just that i dont want to have to think about the extra steps when im hunting. We all know that the ML hunting reload is not common, but possible. I try to prepare for the possible when i get out hunting. So i use the 209 plug when i go.

I swapped out the stock for a thumbhole. I took the barrel off the action. Now, I got to send it off to have the breech plug installed.

Back