Black horn

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwm

Reaction score
has anyone shot black horn then reloaded and left the gun loaded any amount of time without any pitting, just curious. I like to hunt on a clean barrel, but my first shot is always a little high and then settles in after a few rounds. I just don’t like the idea of leaving my guns dirty any length of time , kinda like leaving my engine oil in past the service interval. with 777 I always clean between shots so my point of impact is always the same.

I hunt a nine day season here in Minnesota. I shot a doe the opening day, reloaded and did not pull the load until the end of that season. I had zero rust or pitting or anything out of the ordinary in the fouled barrel. The cased gun stayed in the vehicle in an unheated garage when not in the woods. The primary gun was a V2 Accura. I also had loaded an Optima pistol with blackhorn but it was never fired. An older, blued CVA Kodiak was fired the fifth day of the season, reloaded and not fired again too. All stored the same and the other guns were as clean as the Accura.

Thank you for that, I think next year I will try it. My guns shoot better after several rounds.

What some people get away with some of the time, not all people will get away with all of the time!

Back in 2008 and 2009, I burned through at least 3 cases of Blackhorn 209 testing 15+ rifles and 50ish different breech plugs. I have rifles that have only been shot with Blackhorn 209, and I can say for a fact that conditions will dictate how long you can leave them.

I've had one go 2-3 weeks in a cold dry winter, with no ill effects. I've also had etching in the bore and a pitted breech plug after only 3 days in more humid weather. Maybe someone will admit that they ruined a rifle by not cleaning it in time, maybe they won't? But I know it has happened.

There is an old saying, that is very appropriate here!

"
you pays your money and you takes your chances

1. There's no guarantee you'll get the result you want "

Busta , I am anal with my guns , so you have set me back to where I was this morning lol.

Does anyone else have the same results with their clean barrel shot being high then the group tightens up after several shots , I haven’t shot black horn in all my guns just a couple. I had to get past the hang fire thing first, think I have that problem resolved. I thought it was oil left in the barrel but I tried it after a real good cleaning and drying, same thing first shot high . just not completely comfortable leaving the gun dirty

I hunt a nine day season here in Minnesota. I shot a doe the opening day, reloaded and did not pull the load until the end of that season. I had zero rust or pitting or anything out of the ordinary in the fouled barrel. The cased gun stayed in the vehicle in an unheated garage when not in the woods. The primary gun was a V2 Accura. I also had loaded an Optima pistol with blackhorn but it was never fired. An older, blued CVA Kodiak was fired the fifth day of the season, reloaded and not fired again too. All stored the same and the other guns were as clean as the Accura.
I too shoot the v2 Accura and left mine loaded weekly during a 4 week elk season. I did fire and reload once a week to keep my load fresh and check my rifle. Lots of warm and cold, no problems!

Do a search on “lockeze” . It works for me, and my friend, who shoots an accura nitride.
Does anyone else have the same results with their clean barrel shot being high then the group tightens up after several shots , I haven’t shot black horn in all my guns just a couple. I had to get past the hang fire thing first, think I have that problem resolved. I thought it was oil left in the barrel but I tried it after a real good cleaning and drying, same thing first shot high . just not completely comfortable leaving the gun dirty

Primer foul the gun before loading if you feel you should clean it at the end of the day after having fired it. I had the first shot rouge bullet thing happening with the 209 powder in my Accura and Optima pistol. Someone here mentioned primer fouling before loading to eliminate the issue, which I tried and it worked in getting the first shot dialed to where it was supposed to go. Primers are pretty much non-corrosive today so that fouling shouldn't hurt a thing. But I haven't had the issues some have mentioned with having the dirty barrel for a week. As a rule we are dry at the time I hunt and to be truthful I don't trust any powder in wet weather and I'll drop the loads each evening after hunting if its been raining or wet snow has been falling.

I used to drop five grains of 209 down the barrel, tap a wadded patch down on top of it and pop a primer with the barrel pointed up in the back yard to foul before loading. I never saw any rust anywhere prior to after or whenever during the 9 day season. When the season has ended I give all the guns the works, shot or otherwise.

I loaded my Optima V2 Nitride in December (Blackhorn) with primer shot before, an never saw a deer so didn't shoot it. I decided to leave the load in till May when the range opens, so it should be OK. I did get a shot late November an cleaned the rifle right away. Deer ran into standing cornfield and never found it or blood. Hope I missed, but gun is spot on unless it was me...

I don't like a dirty rifle, but I have shot and killed a deer with T7 3Fg in my S91 and reloaded for another week before cleaning with no issues. I don't recommend it and try to avoid when possible.

Thanks , it’s only black Horn I have the first bullet issue, and it’s not crazy high but I like my guns spot on. With 777 I always clean the crap out of it between shots so i am always shooting a clean barrel, no issues just a ton of patches . It is nice to not have to swab between shots at the range

If you fire BH209 and still need to hunt for a day or 2....just run a dry patch first. Removing the bulk of the BH208 fouling will cut down on the chance of rust in poor hunting conditions. The barrel will still have enough fouling to help with POI/POA. On a fresh bore i just pop a few 209s and verify the flash channel is good. Load up and hunt.

Probably just keep doing what I am , Hunt with 777 , never had a problem,Idaholewis my guns are very important to me also. I would be sick if ruined one my guns . someone recently gave me a Remington 700 and it was clearly left uncleaned , stinking shame the guy ruined a nice gun

maybe im lucky ? Busta has the crap scared out of me . Last 2 years i have shot a fouling shot then loaded my gun for the season without any issues.

I will rethink that process and find a load that will shoot on a clean bore.

Doug, in my Super DISC with a clean bore and conicals...the first shot is almost 1" left. The next 3 all stack up. I dont think i even fouled it with 209s when i tried that. Seems to me that was with a big boy too, 460gr IIRC. At the distances i would shoot at a deer the difference is not really an issue.
74DoiNk.jpg

I hear ya Ron!
I have a couple rifles that first shot on a clean bore is a flyer, maybe an inch or so and typically high...and honestly, I haven't been overly concerned about them at the distances I shoot. I've considered trying lockease, etc...just haven't ever gotten around to trying it. I'm not so worried about an inch, if it was consistently a couple or few inches, or I was shooting consistently long range shots, I'd be more concerned.

As long as you are using a good hot primer in a sealed breech plug, snug fitting bullet, a heavier obturating bullet, and getting a good burn, you will have less problems.

I was testing #11, SPP/SPMP/SRP/SRMP, and over a dozen different 209 primers in every type of breech plug you can think of, and several you can't.

There is a dash of sulphur in the mix, and I'm sure a little of that goes long ways.

The breech plug that pitted, was from an anemic primer, leaky breech plug, large charge of powder, and a loose fitting light saboted bullet. Lots of powder residue in the bore and on the face of the plug. Add in extremely humid conditions, and it was a perfect recipe for a worse case scenario.

Believe it or not, a White Rifle #11 breech plug and a RWS 1075 Plus cap will ignite Blackhorn 209 in moderate temperatures albeit delayed and hang fires, but never once a misfire. I even got the 1075 Plus to light up a charge of Blackhorn 209 under 2 oz of #5's in the White Thunder/Tominator. The flame has a real short path to the powder. Wouldn't recommend it though.

I would also bet there are guys that have went months to a year in the right climate with a Blackhorn 209 fouled bore, with no problems?

You pays your money and you takes your chances!

I should try backwards, but seriously it isn’t crazy , a couple of inches, more of an annoyance. I should shoot than clean a couple times and just dial in that way just my follow up would be a tad off . I was just curious if anyone had a corrosion issue leaving it dirty for a few weeks. Thanks for all the advice

Back