Black horn

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shot a deer this year with my rifle using BH209, and reloaded immediately. Ended up leaving it loaded a couple more weeks (I was still hunting on and off) before unloading and cleaning it fully. I did run a patch down the bore after it was loaded knowing I was leaving it loaded for a couple more weeks. I had no issue, but can't say I wasn't a little nervous.

I've never had a barrel issue but I had a breech plug corrode on a TC Triumph, this is when I first started using BH209. I would shoot the rifle and only swab the barrel and not pull the breech plug. I can't remember how long the plug was left uncleaned in the rifle, maybe a few weeks, my fault and lesson learned. I now clean everything at the same time and use grease on the entire plug and not just the threads, I think that helps when the rifle is shot and not cleaned for a few days while still afield hunting.
nPE9kvF.jpg

CVA Accura breech plug. I bought the rifle used and it was spotless except the snout on the plug, most likely the same way I corroded my plug.
3KIL99e.jpg

I swab my barrels with a dry patch, alcohol patch, then a dry patch when I get ready to load a rifle for hunting or range work. I will then fire off 3 primers to clear the breech plug and foul the bore. The Triumph is the worst for that first shot flyer but I feel a QLA-ectomy this spring may cure that. All my other rifles usually shoot that 1st clean, cold bore shot close to the intended the POI.

I shot two deer in December and didn't clean barrel for ten days cuz I forgot. No problem whatsoever. I wouldn't recommend in warm weather with humidity.

Back