Black Knight / BK 92 Questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well the MK-85 arrived and it is not an MK-85...it is a Black Knight / BK 92. It is also in worse shape than represented. There is rust around the muzzle and around the action. Additionally as the seller did note the breech plug is stuck and there is no ramrod.

The seller really messed the listing up, getting the cal wrong in a couple of spots, calling it a .50, but it is a .54, and the wrong model and not mentioning the rust.

When I opened up the box, I quickly decided to send it back, but the seller has stopped responding to e-mails and I get disconnected when I called twice. So I will make the most of it...I only paid $45.00..."pig in a poke". At this point its not worth the hassle and shipping, if I have to, I could part it out.

The good news is that I used my "Big 45 Pad" and cleaned the rust up on the exterior and action. The bore actually doesn't look too bad, a couple of dark areas, but I am not seeing pitting. I'll be able to tell better once I get the breech plug out.

I was wondering if there is a specific owners manual available or if its just the same basic action as the MK-85?

I have been reading some of the posts here and it sounds like folks who have the BK-92 seem to like them. So as long as the bore is not too messed up, I will likely continue the clean up and get it back into service.

Thanks again for your info and responses to the other thread. I'll post up some pics tonight or tomorrow.

Same as MK-85 have owned 4 of them, basically just a cheaper version of the mk.. for 45.00 if barrel isn't pitted real bad you didn't get a bad deal.. does it have the slotted breech plug in it if so you can make a tool to get it out or if you have a mig/tig welder you can weld a extension onto breech plug then use impact to get plug out.. but before you do any of that get some boiling hot water and put barrel in it and fill barrel full, let sit for 10 minutes or so then try to remove.. you can also make a tool for the slot from a old chisel ground to fit slot and weld a ratchet extension to it and get plug out.

Same as MK-85 have owned 4 of them, basically just a cheaper version of the mk.. for 45.00 if barrel isn't pitted real bad you didn't get a bad deal.. does it have the slotted breech plug in it if so you can make a tool to get it out or if you have a mig/tig welder you can weld a extension onto breech plug then use impact to get plug out.. but before you do any of that get some boiling hot water and put barrel in it and fill barrel full, let sit for 10 minutes or so then try to remove.. you can also make a tool for the slot from a old chisel ground to fit slot and weld a ratchet extension to it and get plug out.

Thanks for the tips. I didn't take notice of the breech plug style...got caught up in the rust issues.
I'll work on it some more tonight.

whats the difference between a BK92 and a MK 85 ?

Basically they are the same rifle. They are blued version and they did use a less expensive barrel action. They were built to offer a significantly price deduction from the MK.

The two that I dealt with were both good shooters. I believe Numrich supplied the barreled action. I picked up one a year or so back that was in excellent condition.

New-BK-92.jpg

I put a Williams FP Peep and a Williams ramp set up on it.

Williams-FP.jpg

Williams-Front.jpg

Bore sighted it and then a 50 yard target to shoot to verify

Target-Composite.jpg

Then it was on to 75 yard birds and a target of opportunity in the farm field

75-yd-birds.jpg

And then to the target of opportunity

114yd-Wood.jpg

It was another one of those really good days shooting at the farm

Birds-Chunk-Wood.jpg

I passed the rifle on to my hunting partners youngest grandson - He loves it!

i have 3 of those guns . 2 blued and 1 stainless . I bought them years ago with a solid plastic stock that has Woverine molded into the stock. I shot the stainless version this year. I sighted the gun in for my daughter . I was impressed how well the gun shot.

i have 3 of those guns . 2 blued and 1 stainless . I bought them years ago with a solid plastic stock that has Woverine molded into the stock. I shot the stainless version this year. I sighted the gun in for my daughter . I was impressed how well the gun shot.

Both of mine were blued versions and both of them shot very well. But that goes right along with the 3 MK SS versions that I have they shot really well also. Tony Knight really knew what he was doing.

whats the difference between a BK92 and a MK 85 ?

Very similar, just lower quality on the parts on the rifle. Cheaper stock, sights, trigger, etc. Still a fine rifle, and like most knight plungers...they shoot alot of loads really well.

To the OP... for $45 its worth a shot. The parts are worth more than that. That is the hard part about buying a ML without seeing it. A person says great condition and it sometimes makes you wonder. Now as for the .50 to .54... and listing it as a MK instead of a BK, well that's just stupidity. That is all stamped right on the gun. LOL

Work on getting the plug out and cleaning her up... :D

My 92 was my first ML. It was a Christmas present in ‘93 if I recall correctly. I have used it for years. It was the rifle that infectd me with the ML bug. Back then I put a really nice scope on mine. That rifle holds my personal record for my longest shot ever. It brought home the venison ever time. I still have the rifle. It now wears a Williams FP peep. Some of the 92’s came with plastics sights front and rear. I definitely recommend you change those out if yours has them. Back when Knight was still In Iowa I called and asked about the sights. The gentleman I talked to seemed embarrassed by the corporate decision, and he sent me new metal sights for free.

Back