Black Powder Cartridge wakeup call

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lbtresident

Reaction score
So I decided to make some paper cartridges for my NMA. I used a dowel rod and TrueWave wraps, some glue stick and prelubed felt wads with .454 hornady round balls. Simple enough process but my dowel rod was not quite sanded down far enough so I decided to sand it some more and to go ahead and shoot some of the cartridges I had made. Although it took a little pressure, I got the cartridges loaded and stepped outside to shoot them. I usually always pinch my caps but this time I did not pinch the first two all that much, but they seemed fairly snug. I take a 15yd shot and immediately saw one of the two caps that I did not pinch very hard come off. Now it takes quite a bit for me to get shook up, but that was about to happen. Tilting the revolver upward to make sure I was putting the replacement cap on the correct empty nipple, I see what looked like a coleman lantern bag burning in the cylinder that was missing the cap. Now I do not use lube over my cylinders but I do make sure that I get a complete ring of lead when pressing in the ball and I have the lubed felt wad below the ball. but man my heart did skip a beat when I saw that end of the cartridge burning. I stood there with it pointed downrange for what seemed like ten minutes. All was fine and I recapped it and finished the cylinder, but that did shake me up a bit. Be safe out there folks.

Man, I've had sears not engage and set triggers trip unexpectedly, but your event sounds way more sketchy. Glad to hear your hat doesn't have a new buttonhole.

Latest posts

Back