Black powder differences

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've always used Goex 2f and 3f powders and I'm sure it's been discussed a million times here but I briefly wanted to talk about some of the different brands out there. I know that Swiss is very popular as is Old Ensyford. I was thinking about ordering some of the Old Ensyford 2f to try out.
Anybody else like that particular brand?

I started with Meteor and Goex in 72. I have used Dragon, Elephant, Diamondback, Swiss and Schuetzen and KIK.
Elephant and diamondback were the dirtiest. All decent powder.
Nit Wit

I order my powder from midway usa, it's about the only place that will sell it in single pound lots. Seems like everyone else has a 5 pound minimum.
I got mine at Powder Valley. The hazmat kills you so I ordered five pounds total. Two Swiss, one Scheutzen, one Goex and one US-869 for the Barrett

All you guys down there in the lower 48 need to have an appreciation for your ability to even have available alternatives in real black powder (Goex, Swiss, Schutzen, Grafs, Etc., Etc.) AND being able to order it too! Up here in Alaska shipping is NOT an option and buying it instate...it’s Goex, Goex or Goex and we’re lucky to get it! There are only half a dozen folks in this whole state that are willing to jump thru the hoops to get it here and prices are pushin $30 a pound. My firelocks don’t work worth a darn on substitutes, where several different choices can usually be found in many stores. How I wish I could get my hands on some Swiss, I’m envious when I hear guys talking about which is best.

I personally prefer Swiss over anything else, I have a Can of Goex Olde E. 2F i need to get back out with and Test more, My First and only go around with it, I Wasn’t at all impressed. It was a Simple Short Range Accuracy Test, Swiss 2F was the Clear Winner. I have been using this can of Goex Olde E to Foul my Bores with Ever since. I’m NOT Knocking Goex Olde E., There are Folks That like it, I’m just NOT one of them. It was brought to my attention by forum member Msalyards that Goex Olde E. Likes Compression. I plan to try that soon, the best i can anyway, Consistent Compression on the Powder with a Muzzleloader is Tough to achieve, unless you have a Force Gauge, in Which a good one costs a Small Fortune to own. When I’m done with this Can of Goex Olde E. I won’t be getting anymore of it.

If you look in to it, You will find that the VAST MAJORITY of Serious Shooters, and High level Competitors use Swiss Real Blackpowder

I've only used Goex and Schuetzen. I find them to be nearly identical, in fact I can sight in a combo with Goex and then switch to Schuetzen and have it hit the same POI. Same granulation and charge of course. In 2f I'd give a very slight nod to Schuetzen for less fouling. In 3f I can't tell a difference.

Consistent Compression on the Powder with a Muzzleloader is Tough to achieve, unless you have a Force Gauge,

Try a Lehigh range rod. When volume and bullet length are super close the stop collar setting will keep similar compression close. I seat the first bullet pretty hard. Then set my stop collar a tiny bit above that. Remaining loads are all compressed down to the stop collar. The rod and its handle are strong enough to take some serious force on them.

Try a Lehigh range rod. When volume and bullet length are super close the stop collar setting will keep similar compression close. I seat the first bullet pretty hard. Then set my stop collar a tiny bit above that. Remaining loads are all compressed down to the stop collar. The rod and its handle are strong enough to take some serious force on them.

That is a Good idea GM54 :lewis: I would like to have 1 of Lehigh’s Range Rods

All you guys down there in the lower 48 need to have an appreciation for your ability to even have available alternatives in real black powder (Goex, Swiss, Schutzen, Grafs, Etc., Etc.) AND being able to order it too! Up here in Alaska shipping is NOT an option and buying it instate...it’s Goex, Goex or Goex and we’re lucky to get it! There are only half a dozen folks in this whole state that are willing to jump thru the hoops to get it here and prices are pushin $30 a pound. My firelocks don’t work worth a darn on substitutes, where several different choices can usually be found in many stores. How I wish I could get my hands on some Swiss, I’m envious when I hear guys talking about which is best.

Check out this outfit Mix and Match 5lbs Black Powder | Powder, Inc. | Master Distributor of Goex, Swiss and Schuetzen

I've always used Goex 2f and 3f powders and I'm sure it's been discussed a million times here but I briefly wanted to talk about some of the different brands out there. I know that Swiss is very popular as is Old Ensyford. I was thinking about ordering some of the Old Ensyford 2f to try out.
Anybody else like that particular brand?
I use OE 2F in my Renegade for long range (out to 700 yd) with Baco 443 Elliptical P.P. bullets , also OE 1 1/2F ,like them both wiping between shots .Buy it buy the case @Powder Inc for best price /Ed

I use OE 2F in my Renegade for long range (out to 700 yd) with Baco 443 Elliptical P.P. bullets , also OE 1 1/2F ,like them both wiping between shots .Buy it buy the case @Powder Inc for best price /Ed

Ed, Do you Compress that Olde E Powder somehow?

Boston Bill...thanks for providing the powder source link for all others on this thread, but if you read my post I specifically said “shipping is NOT an option”!!! Hazmat explosives and aircraft don’t play well together...thus it’s a big No Go!

Taken directly from their website:

Shipping
For the convenience of our customers, we ship to the lower 48 states.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back