Black powder differences

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boston Bill...thanks for providing the powder source link for all others on this thread, but if you read my post I specifically said “shipping is NOT an option”!!! Hazmat explosives and aircraft don’t play well together...thus it’s a big No Go!

Taken directly from their website:

Shipping
For the convenience of our customers, we ship to the lower 48 states.
Sorry.

Ed, Do you Compress that Olde E Powder somehow?
I sure do, and if your interested I have a second rod from Midway (never opened) if interested PM me ,does not work as range rod but I haul lots of stuff to the range anyway . But shot to shot consistent depth is great and it is a quality rod , you"d like it (stainless) HA !

Attachments

• IMG_0425[1].JPG
    IMG_0425[1].JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0427[1].JPG
    IMG_0427[1].JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0426[1].JPG
    IMG_0426[1].JPG
    83 KB · Views: 8
Wasn't there a range rod produced with a compression spring that was set-able for the amount of force placed on the load?
Not sure , but this works by locking at what ever depth/compression you set it for . Repeatable all day long but you still need a range rod for cleaning ,again no problem for me as I go to our private ranges in a UTV towing a wagon . We like to have barbecue with our shooting long !/Ed

I sure do, and if your interested I have a second rod from Midway (never opened) if interested PM me ,does not work as range rod but I haul lots of stuff to the range anyway . But shot to shot consistent depth is great and it is a quality rod , you"d like it (stainless) HA !

PM on it’s way

I’ll bet that’s what he was talking about :lewis: What’s your honest opinion of that thing ENCORE? I guess it’s better than nothing?
My honest opinion??? ;)
I think for most of us that have been at this for decades, it just isn't necessary.
However, for those who choose to use one, they do have it calibrated and you will obtain identical bullet seating force each time.

My honest opinion??? ;)
I think for most of us that have been at this for decades, it just isn't necessary.
However, for those who choose to use one, they do have it calibrated and you will obtain identical bullet seating force each time.
For target use ,consistence (same every time) scores higher every time it"s tried . Powder compression is a variable eliminated with this rod . I agree not needed by every one but why not take advantage over the majority by using a simple tool that might put you in the minority (winners circle) Ed

For target use ,consistence (same every time) scores higher every time it"s tried . Powder compression is a variable eliminated with this rod . I agree not needed by every one but why not take advantage over the majority by using a simple tool that might put you in the minority (winners circle) Ed
The precision packer isn't a rod.
I can eliminate compression errors with a force gauge also. IIRC the past few years Modern Inline Champions don't use either probuct/s?

The precision packer isn't a rod.
I can eliminate compression errors with a force gauge also. IIRC the past few years Modern Inline Champions don't use either probuct/s?
Sorry I was addressing powder compaction and target shooting long range precision side locks like my custom twist/stocked Renegade shooting my beautiful 530 grain PP slicks with real black powder . I did not realize this was an in line conversation ,again my apology /Ed

Sorry I was addressing powder compaction and target shooting long range precision side locks like my custom twist/stocked Renegade shooting my beautiful 530 grain PP slicks with real black powder . I did not realize this was an in line conversation ,again my apology /Ed
No apology, maybe I should not having read the entire thread.
But the precision packer is made to do what you may want. It compresses the bullet to propellant with the exact force each time. To be exact, one would be required to measure every single bullet for exact OAL too. Not saying its a good or bad thing, it always depends on shooter's preference. Just another tool.

My honest opinion??? ;)

I’ve done fair without one this long, i guess i can continue on without one :)

I got a deal on my BP from an old BPCR shooter... I drove to Deer Lodge MT and picked up the 18# of Elephant both 3Fg and 2Fg in a cardboard case that was shipped from Miles City where Powder Inc is located back in 2001. The distance would have been about the same driving to Buffalo Arms from where I live... but the price of $8 a pound, made me grin from ear to ear. After I'm done with the powder, I'll recoup my $$$ selling the empty cans.

My last can of Elephant 2Fg was dated 1997

This will last me a long time, as it's only for my Lyman Great Plains Rifle .54 cal, which I normally only shoot at couple times a month for club shoots, and it will see some rendezvous action this summer.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back