Black powder substitutes in a flint lock

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobRed

Reaction score
In-line muzzleloading was the gateway drug, now I’m wanting to get into flintlock (doesn’t hurt I have land access in PA for hunting)

My question is can I use pyrodex or Tripple seven FFFG in both the chamber and in the pan? Or do I need to somehow get my hands on some FFFFG True black powder?

I have never seen real black black powder for sale around me. Especially FFFFG. Anyone know a good source?

My question is can I use pyrodex or Tripple seven FFFG in both the chamber and in the pan?
I have used BP, Pryodex and triple 7 in the barrel. I have always used BP 4Fg in the pan. I also use a 5gr pre-charge of BP 4Fg, down the barrel to help ignite the Pyrodex or Triple 7. I started doing that when I first started using Pyrodex, 35 years ago. I had a few hang fires and a few misfires. Once I started pre-charging, that all disappeared.

Hopefully, there are some Muzzleloading shops near you, which will have 4Fg in a can. Swiss is the best, but none can be had in the stores. I understand GOEX is back on the shelf and that will work.

South western corner of the state. Uniontown area.

Also if you know of anything in Connecticut, Rhode Island, mass that works too

Black powder only for the pan.
Anything else won't set off the main change reliably.
As mentioned, you can use a small charge of black ahead of the sub powder, Pyrodex or whatever else you have.
I used to live in Connecticut. I might be able to answer questions.

South western corner of the state. Uniontown area.

Also if you know of anything in Connecticut, Rhode Island, mass that works too
Cabela's off of Rt 78 in Hamberg, PA which is West of Allentown. That is one of the original locations and they had everything.
You may end up doing what I did and buy it online. I bought 6 cans of Swiss from Buffalo Arms for a little less than $250. That includes shipping. There is a transportation fee of around $55. That's to transport explosives, and I included that in my total.
GOEX is back in business, (Hodgdon sold it to Estes Energetics) so there should be some available.

Cabela's off of Rt 78 in Hamberg, PA which is West of Allentown. That is one of the original locations and they had everything.
You may end up doing what I did and buy it online. I bought 6 cans of Swiss from Buffalo Arms for a little less than $250. That includes shipping. There is a transportation fee of around $55. That's to transport explosives, and I included that in my total.
GOEX is back in business, (Hodgdon sold it to Estes Energetics) so there should be some available.
Estes is still in the process of rebuilding the Goex plant. Word on the street says that powder MIGHT become available sometime this summer. X

My local Muzzleloader merchant, Ft Chambers Gun Shop, told me he doesn't have any Swiss 1.5Fg & would charge me a few dollars extra for getting it. It was funny, he kept adding more onto it. Finally he said $38 + tax per 1lb can. I buy 6 cans from BACO for a little over $40 a can which includes shipping and tax. I'll stick with BACO.

Is there a limit to how many pounds of powder one can purchase from BACO? The more cans I buy, the more the $57 shipping evens out on a per can basis.

My local Muzzleloader merchant, Ft Chambers Gun Shop, told me he doesn't have any Swiss 1.5Fg & would charge me a few dollars extra for getting it. It was funny, he kept adding more onto it. Finally he said $38 + tax per 1lb can. I buy 6 cans from BACO for a little over $40 a can which includes shipping and tax. I'll stick with BACO.

Is there a limit to how many pounds of powder one can purchase from BACO? The more cans I buy, the more the $57 shipping evens out on a per can basis.
I think I read that they have a 25 pound limit per order.

In-line muzzleloading was the gateway drug, now I’m wanting to get into flintlock (doesn’t hurt I have land access in PA for hunting)

My question is can I use pyrodex or Tripple seven FFFG in both the chamber and in the pan? Or do I need to somehow get my hands on some FFFFG True black powder?

I have never seen real black black powder for sale around me. Especially FFFFG. Anyone know a good source?
You need (nothing)more than 3F for both !!! Small mom +pop stores or order on line and by what you can afford . It doesn't go bad and lasts a lifetime and then some ,and who knows about future regs ?

FWIW Grafs has had Schutzen or their house brand which is rebranded Schutzen of late, and I think their shipping/hazmat is cheapest around ($12.50 ship, $22 hazmat from a order a few weeks ago)

Also, Natchez has free ship/no hazmat fee for $99+ today and tomorrow

For local, might wanna call around to shops in Pa - there is a healthy ML culture up there.

I am very short on good black powder. So i duplex the loads in my rock sparkers. I use 20 gr blk , either 2 f or 3 f depending on what cal i am shooting at the time.Down at the vent n the rest of my load either 2 f or 3 f of Trip 7 in on top of it. I use half a cotton ball as an over powder wad. Thats in my lube leaks down on top of my powder which is not a good thing

This is what happens when you try substitutes in flintlocks:
I used Pyrodex in my Flintlock almost exclusively. I did use 5 gr of 4F down the barrel first. No Hang fires.
I also know people (at the range) who never used 4F down the barrel, and they said they didn't have any issues.
It may have to do with the differences in Fire Channels with different manufactures. I used a T/C Renegade and so did the other guy at the range. The person in the video looks like he is using a Traditions rifle. Who knows?

If any of you live close enough together to purchase powder in bulk, it may be worth your while.
6, 1lb cans of Swiss from BACO with shipping divides into $40.73 a can.
25, 1lb cans of Swiss with shipping divides into $29.88
A difference of $10.88 a can, which is about a 26.7% discount per can.
For Swiss, $29.88 a can is very cheap.

I used Pyrodex in my Flintlock almost exclusively. I did use 5 gr of 4F down the barrel first. No Hang fires.
I also know people (at the range) who never used 4F down the barrel, and they said they didn't have any issues.
It may have to do with the differences in Fire Channels with different manufactures. I used a T/C Renegade and so did the other guy at the range. The person in the video looks like he is using a Traditions rifle. Who knows?
my Hawken/Lyman and Kibler all use/used OE3F in the pan/barrel no problem , I figure back in the early days they used what they made/bought and it all got used/Ed

I didn't even know Olde Eynsford existed until recently. I shot GOEX exclusively in my Mississippi Rifle, but I never knew they made another brand.

Latest posts

Back