Black powder substitutes in a flint lock

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used Pyrodex in my Flintlock almost exclusively. I did use 5 gr of 4F down the barrel first. No Hang fires.
I'm excited pyrodex works for you. I've never had anything but hang fires using it.
I gave away the remainder of my pyrodex when I discovered real black powder.

I gave away the remainder of my pyrodex when I discovered real black powder.
I still have some Pyrodex. I also use triple 7 and Swiss.
I'm beginning to believe it has to do with the fire channel. If the powder is able to flow to the vent hole, 4F in the pan will set it off.

It may be the grain size of Pyrodes R/S are too large to flow to the vent hole in some rifles. That would cause hang and misfires.

Thompson Center Renegades were designed to allow larger grain sizes to flow through the fire channel. I can use Swiss 1.5Fg without issue.

I don't believe, from what I hear, 4F in the pan will ignite Blackhorn 209. Blackhorn was designed to be lit off by a 209 shotgun primer, so there is that.

I will have to test my theory. I own 5 flintlocks from 5 different manufacturers. I will see which ones hang fire and which ones do not.

I've also used real BP has a kicker load in a flintlock. Topped off with synthetic. And real BP in the pan. Works, most of the time. But if possible you are better off with real BP all the way.

T/C Hawken in .50
There goes my theory. I thought T/Cs may have had a wider flame channel to allow larger grain powders to flow to the flash hole. Since BP ignites so much easier than any of the substitutes, I threw 5gr of 4F down the bore to make sure I didn't have a hang fire.

The only reason I used Pyrodex was it was supposed to have more velocity with less pressure. That meant the Pyrodex burned more slowly than BP, so most of the burn didn't take place in one location. It burned its way down the barrel. It's the same reasoning one uses a larger grain in a rifle. It will burn slower. I was surprised to learn on this forum, many if not most, of the competitive shooters shooting a .45 use Swiss 1.5Fg, whereas most people use 3Fg.

There goes my theory. I thought T/Cs may have had a wider flame channel to allow larger grain powders to flow to the flash hole. Since BP ignites so much easier than any of the substitutes, I threw 5gr of 4F down the bore to make sure I didn't have a hang fire.

The only reason I used Pyrodex was it was supposed to have more velocity with less pressure. That meant the Pyrodex burned more slowly than BP, so most of the burn didn't take place in one location. It burned its way down the barrel. It's the same reasoning one uses a larger grain in a rifle. It will burn slower. I was surprised to learn on this forum, many if not most, of the competitive shooters shooting a .45 use Swiss 1.5Fg, whereas most people use 3Fg.
The slower burn of the 1.5 F does well on longer bbl;s that can burn it up by the time it reaches the muzzle. A short bbl like my 26 n 28's need faster burning powder so half of it won't be still burning out on the ground

In-line muzzleloading was the gateway drug, now I’m wanting to get into flintlock (doesn’t hurt I have land access in PA for hunting)

My question is can I use pyrodex or Tripple seven FFFG in both the chamber and in the pan? Or do I need to somehow get my hands on some FFFFG True black powder?

I have never seen real black black powder for sale around me. Especially FFFFG. Anyone know a good source?
If you can't find real black powder you can always make it really easy cost about $6.00 a pound to make and you can't tell the difference in it and store bought except I know my homemade is a lot less corrosive than store bought

Powdered bp is very easy to make it’s milling it to the right size that’s hard. My suggestion is watch some you tube videos order the 3 components from Amazon and make your own.

You don't mill it to the right size after it's milled it's like baby powder you then mix it with 3/4 rubbing alcohol and 1/4 water into a thick ball you run it over a aluminum window screen kind of like a cheese grater let it dry that's where you get your granules after mine is dry I usually run a wooden rolling pin over it to crush it up the shake it through a sifter from Walmart to get granules sized what goes through the softer is about 3f and what stays in is usually around 2f I usually scoop up what goes through the softer put it in 3f container then run the stuff left in the softer under the rolling pin again till I have all 3f that's pretty much what I use in everything rifles and pistols and even loading my shotgun shells but anyway if you need any info or help I would be glad to help you

Powdered bp is very easy to make it’s milling it to the right size that’s hard. My suggestion is watch some you tube videos order the 3 components from Amazon and make your own.
Amazon will cost you a lot more for your components it will end up costing you way more going through them where I get my stuff is way cheaper I can let you know if you would like and only buy 2 components the 3rd charcoal make yourself very easy and free I can tell you how I do it if you need help

Powdered bp is very easy to make it’s milling it to the right size that’s hard. My suggestion is watch some you tube videos order the 3 components from Amazon and make your
Powdered bp is very easy to make it’s milling it to the right size that’s hard. My suggestion is watch some you tube videos order the 3 components from Amazon and make your o
Powdered bp is very easy to make it’s milling it to the right size that’s hard. M

You don't mill it to the right size after it's milled it's like baby powder you then mix it with 3/4 rubbing alcohol and 1/4 water into a thick ball you run it over a aluminum window screen kind of like a cheese grater let it dry that's where you get your granules after mine is dry I usually run a wooden rolling pin over it to crush it up the shake it through a sifter from Walmart to get granules sized what goes through the softer is about 3f and what stays in is usually around 2f I usually scoop up what goes through the softer put it in 3f container then run the stuff left in the softer under the rolling pin again till I have all 3f that's pretty much what I use in everything rifles and pistols and even loading my shotgun shells but anyway if you need any info or help I would be glad to help you
This is after milling and mixing with water and alcohol

Attachments

• KIMG2870.JPG
    KIMG2870.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Powdered bp is very easy to make it’s milling it to the right size that’s hard. My suggestion is watch some you tube videos order the 3 components from Amazon and make your o

Finished product

Attachments

• KIMG2825.JPG
    KIMG2825.JPG
    1,000.9 KB · Views: 0
  • KIMG2826.JPG
    KIMG2826.JPG
    834.3 KB · Views: 0
Powdered bp is very easy to make it’s milling it to the right size that’s hard. My suggestion is watch some you tube videos order the 3 components from Amazon and make your

Finished product

Latest posts

Back