Blackhorn 209 in CVA Kodiak

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck116

Reaction score
Question is what modification do I need to shoot BH209 in a Kodiak ? or will the stock 209 ignition BP work?

Increase flash channel to 5/32 and then install a vent liner. They have 10-32 threads IIRC.
viewtopic.php?t=21681
P1000329.JPG

Here are two plugs for the Kodiak 45 cal I have. The one on the right is that factory plug's face. That on the left has been modified to take a vent liner and is shown with the liner screwed in. GM54 is correct on the threading of the vent liner.

882A2ar.jpg

I own several CVA rifles and the plug threading is identical on each plug so I modified my own breech plugs but others here on the site may do this for a fee. The vent liners are relatively inexpensive at Badger Ridge Industries.....www.badgerridgeind.com should get you to the site for ordering the liners. The factory plugs for the Kodiaks are cheap at around $12.00 to $14.00. Getting the bits and other stuff rounded up to drill the CVA plugs cost right around $65.00 to get started and I had to make a jig to hold the plug for drilling. Maybe $8.00 in metal to make the jig that clamps to the drill press table. I needed two 5/8" coarse threaded nuts to hold the plugs in the jig. The 10-32 drill/tap set cost about $4.00.

I have a modified plug in my Kodiak and shoot 70 grains [weighed] of the 209 powder behind a 200 grain .40 cal XTP bullet and get excellent accuracy at the 100 yards it is sighted at. I have loaded as high as 77 grains [weighed] but the accuracy did not get any better so I backed it down again and have maybe 175 shots thru the converted plug with plenty of room to get more shots before the liner needs replacing. I shoot only the 209 powder in all of my CVAs now.

I was able to shoot the 209 powder using a Winchester 209 shotshell reloading primer [blue box] using the un-altered plug DURING WARMER WEATHER. Mis-fires did not occur in temps above about 75 degrees. As soon as I got out in 60 degree air or cooler mis-fires began to happen and they increased in frequency as the temps went down so I broke down and got the goodies to convert my plugs. NO such thing as a mis-fire now. I guess doing the conversion isn't such a big deal if you have a little mechanical aptitude but if doing some machining isn't your forte have someone do the plugs for you. Its a shame no one offers the replacement plugs to be compatible with the 209 powder in a Kodiak rifle. Very nice guns.

Here's a link for a tutorial that RonLaughlin offered here to do your own conversion. Its very thorough and easy to follow. Not though that your Kodiak plug has no shoulder area to use the wood as a holder but using 5/32 or 3/13 X 2" strap steel drilled with a 5/8" drill will make the base to hold the plugs securely for the drilling required and this clamps very nicely to the drill's table.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=25337

It will work in warm weather, but you need to be diligent about cleaning out the flame channel with a 3mm drill, then a nipple pick or wire through the flash hole. The one I shot back in March of '09 at a range in Montana, we had plenty of breech plugs for.

The best thing would be to have Ron L. open up the flame channel to 5/32" and install a vent liner in your plug.

Cecil also made a run of Blackhorn 209 friendly breech plugs for the 5/8" H&R/NEF that turned out to be the dimensions for the CVA pre-QRBP. These have a 1/8" flame channel and the same internal dimensions as the Omega plug. You might contact him and see if he has any left. I never seen him list those, but they were beautifully machined. This was a few years back, so I don't know if he kept them, but they were a perfect fit.

There was also a temporary mod of opening up the 0.028" flash hole to 0.032" - 0.035". You could also install an o-ring in the bottom of the primer pocket. I'm pretty sure the block is adjustable for headspace lockup on your choice of primer. I would make sure to get a spare plug first.

Just remember, what you can get away with in the warm weather, may come back to bite you during season when the temperature drops. There are no shortcuts.

Lastly, get either Federal 209A or CCI 209M Primers. Use these, no matter which way you go. Keep the flame channel clear, frequently!

Latest posts

Back