Blackhorn 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I apologise for getting on the black powder soapbox. I was just trying to point out that there are other options, that will shoot without a crud ring that will enable an inline shooter to practice & hunt if BH209 is not available.

If I was an inline shooter, as the supply of BH209 opens up, I would have both black powder and BH209 in my stash. Black powder has an unlimited shelf life as long as it is stored in a cool, dark place, preferably temperature & humidity controlled.

From what I am learning here, BH209 has similar long shelf life properties. If any of the other black powder substitutes have long shelf lives, then I would add those to my list of propellants to keep on hand in case of another national shortage like the one we are trying to come out of now.

No sense in getting stuck with nothing to shoot/hunt with.

For those that might think that because they shoot real black powder they are safe from a powder shortage/ban, especially those that favor the flintlock (like myself), I would also give some thought to having some of the substitute powders on hand if they had acceptable shelf lives.

Herb, over on the ALR forum tested every black powder substitute in his scratch built, .58 caliber, flintlock, Leman shorty rifle with a 1.0625" × 24" long straight octagon barrel. This was about a year ago. All he did was duplex a 10 grain charge of fffg Goex under the substitute powder that he was testing. And, of course, he needed real black powder in the pan of the flintlock for a priming charge.

I won't swear to it, but I do believe he shot & chronographed, Pyrodex, PyrodexP, Black MZ, Golden, Triple777, & BH209 against Goex, Olde Eynsford, Schuetzen, and Swiss.

Because of his age; his history working with Doc White as an original employee at Green River Rifle Works; his knowledge, authorship, and ability to scratch build historically accurate Hawken rifles; and the fact that he told the moderators at ALR right up front in the OP to NOT give him any grief about posting information on black powder substitutes; such useful information about subs in a flintlock are out there for anyone to look for.

If this is true, why doesn't anyone have Barnes 250g or 290g TEZs in stock?
Simple. Loaded ammunition has a higher priority than muzzleloader bullets.

Also, the whole country is out. How long do you think it will take to build up a product for just a single state?
Just go on to social media and report that there's another shortage of toilet paper and watch what happens.

I have 4 wally worlds within 30 mins, none carry it (I've never seen it there any time of year) ... and I live in a mostly rural area, not in the big city. Tons of hunters around here. SMH

I have 1.5 small jugs, haven't done much shooting with it lately since its hard to come by. Hoping soon 5lb jugs will be available again

After reading this post I have been checking around at Walmart’s close to me. Scored big time at a store about 45 mins away from me, 8 jugs. 2 for me, 2 for my dad, 2 for my uncle, 2 for a member of our lease that’s been looking for it.

now if cva would just ship my damn paramount I’ll be able to burn some of it.

ETA: i left 2 on the shelf for someone else to get some too

It's a blessing to live in the country and be able to walk about 10 yd out of your back door and sit down and have a 600 yd range,, I managed to scrape up enough smokeless powder to keep me from going nuts shooting my smokeless muzzleloaders but I really miss Black Horn I've got three or four rifles that I was really wanting to ring the best out of,, I'm sure still looking for more Black Horn so far none,,, I was also the supplier for four or five friends of mine that always count on me to weigh them out some charges for the season,, you sure don't walk into a gun shop in Southeast Texas and find Black Horn sitting around anywhere ,,you're fortunate if you find anything related to muzzleloading it's just still not very popular where I live,, 2 months long centerfire season keeps muzzleloading on the back burner no the no burner for most

Back at ya. I'm going to try Black Horn when I get some. I've been using 777 pellets.
My wife has Lewy body dementia, a horrible disease. Not safe to have her around firearms.

Latest posts

Back