Blackhorn 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't intend for my post starting a big uproar just wanted to let you guys know about wally world and Blackhorn powder. sorry if i caused ill feelings.

It's the nature of an open forum and people's personalities. You didn't do anything wrong and your post helped others stock up for this coming season.

Question….How many pounds are produced per Lot # of BH209?

I couldn't tell you, but, earlier this year I sent an email to customer service at Hodgdon inquiring about when 209 would be available. I got a quick reply and BH started showing up not long after the expected date.
What I cannot figure is where all this powder is sitting as it seems to come out a bit at a time since April-ish. 🥴

Has anyone seen the 5# Jugs of BH 209 For Sale anywhere? My Local Walmarts have Never Sold any Muzzleloader Supplies☹️

This again is from the perspective of someone that has yet to engage in long distance (over 100 yards) muzzleloading shooting. Nor, yet shot BH209.

From watching threads here, and looking at the cost of BH209 pre-Covid-19, the only way I would consider purchasing it on a regular basis would be in the 5 pound jugs.

Because it was shelf stable, it only made sense to me to save up money to buy the 5 pound jugs as then the price per shot became as reasonable as possible. Compared to black powder, I never saw the price of BH209 as reasonable.

Only if I was going to shoot a scoped inline with all of an its nooks and crannies to clean, would BH209 make any kind of sense to me.

Only, if I absolutely felt that I could not live without the ability to kill at distances equal to a modern scoped centerfire rifle, would the higher cost per shot of BH209 make any sense to me.

In sidelocks.......

Ordinary Goex, or Schuetzen, black powder in ffg & fffg grades, under a patched ball of the proper diameter (.45-.62 caliber), will kill effectively out to 125 yards if the shooter can see to kill at that distance, and if his rifle is equipped with front & rear sights that will allow him to do so.

The same Goex & Schuetzen, ffg & fffg grades of black powder, under lubed lead conicals, will kill effectively out to as far of a distance as a shooter can possibly see with a tang-mounted, vernier rear sight equipped with a Hadley Eyedisc. In conjunction with a front sight compatible with the terrain one is going to hunt in. The only limitations are, again, the quality of the shooter's eyesight, the sights on the rifle, and the shooter's ethics in killing a big game animal at long distance.

If one were willing to put a scope on a sidelock, then the ability to see the 18th/19th Century style sights becomes moot, and the only limitations are the diameter of the patched ball, its weight, and its ability to retain its muzzle velocity out past 100 yards.

A .58 caliber, .60 caliber, .62 caliber, or .66 caliber patched ball in a sidelock equipped with a scope is capable, depending upon the rate of twist, and the subsequent powder charge, of reaching out to 200 yards with sufficient killing power for deer, elk, bear, and moose.

A 1:20" twist, .45 caliber sidelock equipped with a scope, shooting lubed lead conicals, would theoretically be capable of reaching out to 800 yards just like a .45/70 Trapdoor Springfield, or a Sharps Business Rifle.

Utilizing Goex, Graf's, Schuetzen, Olde Eynsford, or Swiss black powders.

At a lower cost per shot than BH209.

We'll have to see what Hogdon does as far as the supply and demand for BH209 is concerned, compared to the previous owner up in Canada. With a yearly increasingly larger demand for BH209, one would think that the company would have just produced enough to satisfy the demand in the United States for it. I can see the big box stores not wanting to keep it in stock seasonally, but the online internet suppliers being allowed to run out on a regular basis made no sense to me at all.

You would have thought that the powder rep for the company would have been calling every single internet seller of BH209 on the regular to keep them well stocked up. Unless, of course, the company deliberately kept the supply short to create an intense demand that would allow them to charge what I consider outrageous prices for a muzzleloading propellant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure this is the place to continue kicking the BH209 vs blackpowder & everything else dead horse... There are reasons to like or use either or both of them. This thread is titled BH209... there are plenty of others that kick that dead horse.

As for powder availability, I'm sure the powder companies are busy producing tons and tons of powder... probably for their largest buyers (ammunition companies?). And then working their way down to the smaller markets (reloaders & muzzle loader suppliers?)

I'm just glad to see a community helping each other... who knows... maybe we'll have to start helping each other more and more to make it through whatever lies ahead.

I'm going to let BadgerRidge's remarks on BH vs Black stand. Man that conversation is so old........................

People just don't realize that these companies, Hodgdon, IMR and all the others, are working 24/7/365 now. Bullet manufacturers are doing exactly the same. They are doing their very best to get supplies back on shelves. I have a friend at Barnes who hasn't had a day off in months and is working 12 to 14hrs a day, 7 days a week. Guys.......... that gets old fast to the people having to work like that, think about it.

You have 2 to 3 million NEW firearm owners purchasing in a months time and they also need ammunition. Muzzleloaders are not the top priority right now. IMO we're blessed that Hodgdon is doing what they can for those of us who shoot BH.

LET THIS BE A WARNING ALL THE WAY AROUND........ Notice how quickly the entire country ran out of loaded ammunition, along with all components? Is this what it takes for an enemy to disarm America and never even fire a single round? Do you have to be a hoarder? No but, its also smart to be prepared for this to happen again, which it will.
Choose wisely...........

I prefer a roundball gun and black powder and black powder here in Florida where I never shoot at distances over a 100 yards. I use BH209 with my Knight mountaineer when I travel out of state and expect distances up to 300 yards. Cleaning an inline is simple with an ultra sonic cleaner. I have been meaning to suggest a tip for iron sight users. My sister is an optometrist. She fixed me up with a set of shooting glasses. My aiming eye lens has a focal point of about 30 inches. (front sight). the other lens is set for distance vision. It wasn't hard to get used to them when in a stationary position, i.e. deer stand or shooting bench.
They are not as useful for walking and stalking. I hope this is useful to some of you.

The two Walmart's near me don't usually get their muzzleloading supplies in till August. I have been looking, but nothing so far. The 2021-2022 hunting pamphlet is late also....

I have some Blackhorn, can't use it because I don't have any primers. I switched the breech plug in my CVA inline pistol to the northwest breech plug kit. Musket caps and triple 7 is what I use now.

This again is from the perspective of someone that has yet to engage in long distance (over 100 yards) muzzleloading shooting. Nor, yet shot BH209.

From watching threads here, and looking at the cost of BH209 pre-Covid-19, the only way I would consider purchasing it on a regular basis would be in the 5 pound jugs.

Because it was shelf stable, it only made sense to me to save up money to buy the 5 pound jugs as then the price per shot became as reasonable as possible. Compared to black powder, I never saw the price of BH209 as reasonable.

Only if I was going to shoot a scoped inline with all of an its nooks and crannies to clean, would BH209 make any kind of sense to me.

Only, if I absolutely felt that I could not live without the ability to kill at distances equal to a modern scoped centerfire rifle, would the higher cost per shot of BH209 make any sense to me.

In sidelocks.......

Ordinary Goex, or Schuetzen, black powder in ffg & fffg grades, under a patched ball of the proper diameter (.45-.62 caliber), will kill effectively out to 125 yards if the shooter can see to kill at that distance, and if his rifle is equipped with front & rear sights that will allow him to do so.

The same Goex & Schuetzen, ffg & fffg grades of black powder, under lubed lead conicals, will kill effectively out to as far of a distance as a shooter can possibly see with a tang-mounted, vernier rear sight equipped with a Hadley Eyedisc. In conjunction with a front sight compatible with the terrain one is going to hunt in. The only limitations are, again, the quality of the shooter's eyesight, the sights on the rifle, and the shooter's ethics in killing a big game animal at long distance.

If one were willing to put a scope on a sidelock, then the ability to see the 18th/19th Century style sights becomes moot, and the only limitations are the diameter of the patched ball, its weight, and its ability to retain its muzzle velocity out past 100 yards.

A .58 caliber, .60 caliber, .62 caliber, or .66 caliber patched ball in a sidelock equipped with a scope is capable, depending upon the rate of twist, and the subsequent powder charge, of reaching out to 200 yards with sufficient killing power for deer, elk, bear, and moose.

A 1:20" twist, .45 caliber sidelock equipped with a scope, shooting lubed lead conicals, would theoretically be capable of reaching out to 800 yards just like a .45/70 Trapdoor Springfield, or a Sharps Business Rifle.

Utilizing Goex, Graf's, Schuetzen, Olde Eynsford, or Swiss black powders.

At a lower cost per shot than BH209.

We'll have to see what Hogdon does as far as the supply and demand for BH209 is concerned, compared to the previous owner up in Canada. With a yearly increasingly larger demand for BH209, one would think that the company would have just produced enough to satisfy the demand in the United States for it. I can see the big box stores not wanting to keep it in stock seasonally, but the online internet suppliers being allowed to run out on a regular basis made no sense to me at all.

You would have thought that the powder rep for the company would have been calling every single internet seller of BH209 on the regular to keep them well stocked up. Unless, of course, the company deliberately kept the supply short to create an intense demand that would allow them to charge what I consider outrageous prices for a muzzleloading propellant.
I hate to say but past 100 yards is not considered long distance for black powder

Unless, of course, the company deliberately kept the supply short to create an intense demand that would allow them to charge what I consider outrageous prices for a muzzleloading propellant.

I've seen zero indications that this is the case. Much of what I have seen come back in availability has been in line with the pre-covid pricing. The higher prices have been at the hands of gougers....and yes they exist in today's retail and on-line markets. I don't need any BH209 so I am not fretting, however I have seen it personally recently in at least four different stores within Minnesota's boundaries, mainly the Twin Cities and points north of there, and only one store had it jacked [Cabelas]. Its doubtful that Hodgdon would risk getting caught at some unscrupulous marketing ploy as such jacking the wholesale price unevenly between stores or on-line outlets unless those few places ordered far below a minimum quantity to get the product at true wholesale pricing and those places exist and probably pass the extra cost to them right along to the customer.

I'm heavy into the fishing tackle and tackle making industries and the same exact thing is occurring within those realms yet too and the come-back is very limited and slow just as in the reloading and powders industries too. Covid workplace restrictions and uncontrolled covid related hording has been culprit right from the start, along the lack of retail's failure to limit purchasing and bolstered by an administration that refused take covid seriously to start with. Stop blaming companies trying to get caught up. They have enough on their plate without having an internet chat site tossing our rips like the one you posted.

Latest posts

Back