Blackhorn Demise -- 777 Crud Ring

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Blackhorn is unavailable for purchase.

Shooting is fun. To continue enjoy shooting, one must burn powder other than Blackhorn. One then, will relearn pre-Blackhorn techniques.

Ignition using W209 primers creates quite the crud ring. Using muzzle loader primers reduces the crud ring. Using small rifle primers reduces the crud ring. Using large pistol primers reduces the crud ring. The reduced crud ring allows one to reload, just like when one could burn Blackhorn. However, shooting without swabbing, between loading, doesn't seem to be as accurate as when one swab. For accuracy, one probably should swab between shots.

Final clean up seems to be easier when burning 777, than when burning Blackhorn.

Fun shooting

Load = 265g Fury STB, two vegetable fiber wad, 81 weighed grain 777, large pistol primer. Range = 319 yard.

First shot

Second shot

Third shot

IMG_5453.JPG

Why not use Pyrodex or Goex? No crud ring with those. Bass Pro has Blackhorn at $50 per bottle.

Blackhorn is unavailable for purchase.

Shooting is fun. To continue enjoy shooting, one must burn powder other than Blackhorn. One then, will relearn pre-Blackhorn techniques.

Ignition using W209 primers creates quite the crud ring. Using muzzle loader primers reduces the crud ring. Using small rifle primers reduces the crud ring. Using large pistol primers reduces the crud ring. The reduced crud ring allows one to reload, just like when one could burn Blackhorn. However, shooting without swabbing, between loading, doesn't seem to be as accurate as when one swab. For accuracy, one probably should swab between shots.

Final clean up seems to be easier when burning 777, than when burning Blackhorn.

Fun shooting

Load = 265g Fury STB, two vegetable fiber wad, 81 weighed grain 777, large pistol primer. Range = 319 yard.

First shot

Second shot

Third shot

IMG_5453.JPG
2F or 3F ? /Thanks Ed

My latest Natchez catalog lists Blackhorn, jugs and 5 lbers.

Curious as to what Breech Plugs you are using for the Various Primers?
Small Rifle
Large Pistol

Triple Seven works well in my Black Diamond and Fire Hawk rifles using #11 caps. With measured powder loads of 90 grains and less the crud ring is very minimal.

I did see some bullets on the shelf a couple of days ago at our local hardware store, .308 caliber and several others. I have also seen some loaded ammunition, maybe the powder and primers will start trickling in here shortly as well. I’m afraid if it doesn’t change soon, there will be a lot of folks with deer permits this year, who won’t be able to find any ammunition to actually go out and hunt.

I've got an adequate supply of Blackhorn but I can't find hot 209 primers anywhere. I've got a few reg 209 but would rather wait until I can find a hotter ignition source.

Ive had great lucking using regular Win209s with BH209. This was in Knights with Lehigh bare primer and older modified CVA plugs. In plugs like a current CVA BH209 plug just make sure they seal well and keep the flash channel clear with a 1/8" bit.

I've got an adequate supply of Blackhorn but I can't find hot 209 primers anywhere. I've got a few reg 209 but would rather wait until I can find a hotter ignition source.
All I use with all my muzzle loaders is regular 209 CCI/Fed/Winchester not (muzzle loader primers) ,if your not lighting up any powder(BH209) or look for another cause . It ain"t the primer /Ed

Latest posts

Back