Blackhorn Density

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys are comparing LOT #29 to LOT #31, when the process of calibrating the VOLUME to WEIGHT ratio was changed at LOT #30. According to someone mentioning it here in a thread on the forum last fall?

So, anything before LOT #30 (LOTS #1-#29), and anything after LOT #30 (LOTS #30-#31 and beyond) should be compared for consistency, IMO. The process has changed.

Actually Lots #1-#3 were not available to the public for sale. I was the first to own a case of Blackhorn 209 in Michigan, on this forum, and one of the first in the Nation. The first lot available to the general public for retail was LOT #4 in early April 2008, and I still have one unopened container of the powder that I will test the shelf life on at some point in the future.

The first lots of the powder actually had both silver colored and black colored cylindrical granules in it, about a 50% mix of each. This was before they decided on the Blackhorn 209 name, and it was called Silver Strike at that time. I was able to shoot some Silver Strike out of a few rifles when I visited Montana back in March of 2009.

Nobody that I know of ever claimed that VOLUMETRIC measuring was more accurate than WEIGHT. If you cannot throw and settle a VOLUMETRIC charge by first removing static from the equation, maybe WEIGHT is the way to go for you? Removing static from the equation is as easy as wiping out your plastic funnel on your bottle, the clear T/C U-View powder measure, and your storage tubes with a fabric softener sheet. this doesn't have to be done every time, it will last for a long time. This would also include VOLUMETRIC plastic powder dispensers probably like the one Ron used? if there is any plastic in the process, you needed to remove the static first.

The deviation in properly measured tapped and settled VOLUME charges is in tenths of a grain. Even if it were a full grain difference, you are only talking 10 FPS maximum in variation.

That is nothing out to normal hunting distances. The deer can't tell the difference between 1990 FPS and 2000 FPS, and neither can you.

For best results when moving to a new lot # of powder, it may be best to get out the chronograph or scales to check for any variances. If the VOLUMETRIC loads are grouping and getting the same accuracy as your previous lot#, then shoot on. If not, drop down 5 grains by VOLUME, then go up 5 grains by VOLUME and see what it likes best. That will only be about 3 grains by WEIGHT difference.

Generally speaking, when you get up in the 80, 90, 100, 110 grain VOLUMETRIC charges, depending on bullet weight and design, you're averaging around 100 FPS per 10 VOLUMETRIC grain change with Blackhorn 209 at the muzzle. This is not absolute, just a general rule of thumb. About 50 FPS for every 5 VOLUMETRIC grain change, 10 FPS for every 1 VOLUMETRIC grain change, and 1 FPS for every tenth of a grain VOLUME change.

You can WEIGH your charges if you want to, but nothing I've ever shot at normal hunting ranges (under 200 yards) could ever live on the difference of my VOLUMETRICALLY measured charges. Simple as that!

If you do WEIGH instead of measure by VOLUME, you better know what the conversion ratio is, have a good reliable calibrated scale, and check it frequently. It's also a good idea to have the maximum VOLUME load line as well as your preferred VOLUME load line marked on your storage/transportation tubes. That gives you a quick reference to make sure your scale is still accurate and calibrated. I only use beam scales, because some of those digital scales will occasionally lie to you. My VOLUMETRIC powder measure never lies to me.

Just remember, there are new guys that are just getting into shooting muzzleloaders and/or Blackhorn 209, we need to do everything possible to keep them safe. The VOLIMETRIC powder measure is a pretty simple, safe, and accurate way to measure Blackhorn 209 for 95% of the people.

I guess as soon as someone compares LOT #30 to LOT #31, we'll know if the new process is capable of keeping the VOLUME to WEIGHT ratio in check? Then Lot #32 against LOTS #30 & #31 to see if it continues to vary, or stays the same?

I know one thing for sure, my VOLUMETRIC powder measure and I will be getting along just fine regardless!

Last edited:
For most hunters, by volume should be fine. For target shooters weighing will be more consistent in velocity. There may be a change in velocity between lot numbers with weighing but probably not volume. Seems pretty simple to me and too much is being made of it.

Well if what Busta says why bother with BH209 anyway just use small charge of black , 2000 ft a sec at 100 yds. don't mean S*&^

I and few others was actually interested in what Ron had to say. Willing to discuss , but then certain ones start getting up tight.

Well if what Busta says why bother with BH209 anyway just use small charge of black , 2000 ft a sec at 100 yds. don't mean S*&^
Nothing wrong with black other than harder for me to get, more chance of corrosion, and have to swab between shots. But if I decide to try black, should I load by weight or volume?

so maybe in post #39 i should have said consistancy, not accuracy. say your most accurate shooting load may be 100 gr by volume . and then the density of the powder changes and now 100 gr by volume is not your most accurate load. i think the weight of the original 100 gr by volume will always be your most accurate. whatever the volume changes to.

I think we all shoot several guns using blackhorn and it may or may not act differently in those guns lot to lot. Personally I don't feel that those hunting and using blackhorn will see any difference in performance, weighed or measured, lot to lot, if a load has been working good at 100 yards or less. Those wanting to poke at long range paper for accuracy might want to do some shooting to adjust to different lot numbers. Sometimes its needed, sometimes its not.

yes that is what they said with the lots after 29. seems people on here forget things. Don't know why Busta was so up tight about Rons findings. Say what you want but pound of feathers is pound of feathers volume has nothing to do with it.
. It would seem to me the issue would be inconsistent individual grain size from lot to lot. If that's the case a particular volume of smaller individual grains would be denser then the same volume of larger grains and would weigh more. Seems that makes sense. The real test would be any differences in velocity. I haven't checked my BH stash lately but I'll see if I have different lots and go from there.

This morning, using the data gathered in this thread, a new hunting load was tried.

IMG_4221.JPG

This year''s hunting load will be 93g of lot 31 Blackhorn, Omega Dream Season rifle, 1X scope, 250g Deep Curl bullet, crush rib sabot, W209 primer.

Last year's hunting load was 90g of lot 29 Blackhorn, same rifle, same scope, same bullet, same, same.

Will want to drop the aim an inch, if the impact is the same when it cools off.

here is another angle forget volume and go by weight only in each lot to see if velocity changes from lot to lot. Pick any weight and try them all. Need not compare whether 120 volume.

Chart above shows avg velocity bye weight per 3 lots 165 fps difference

pick 89 by weight and shoot each lot by scale weight and do not use a volume measure, and measure velocity. not disputing just curious what difference with just weight

Last edited:
Guess my data is confusing.

Lot 30 was shot at 120v and 84w
Lot 31 was shot at 120v and 84w
Lot32 was shot at 120v and 84w

Left side of photo says lot 30v this was 120 volume also 30w this was 84 gr weight.

So info is on sheet
84gr wt
Lot30 2316
Lot31. 2217
Lot32. 2155

If I'm reading the chart right...………. It appears there's less deviation in velocities with a weighed charge, but that each lot has produced a larger difference in velocities when weighed.

A 161fps difference in velocities between the high and low of weighed.

However, only a 22fps difference in velocities when measured by volume.

Am I reading that correct??

If I'm reading the chart right...………. It appears there's less deviation in velocities with a weighed charge, but that each lot has produced a larger difference in velocities when weighed.

A 161fps difference in velocities between the high and low of weighed.

However, only a 22fps difference in velocities when measured by volume.

Am I reading that correct??
Yes

Back