Blackhorn Density

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol I was not at all trying to start a debate . I was just curious . I have never said weighing is better than volume or Vice versa . Consistency is the key just as Busta has previously stated . I completely agree . I have tried to be respectful to everyone but must have fallen short somewhere . Oh well !

Ron would you do me a favor and chronograph your new load
Doug, somehow this morning i managed to bring powder, xtp bullets, primers, and a rifle...

The 90g of Blackhorn lot 31 each weighed 61.4g, and clocked at 1799 fps average

The 90g of Blackhorn lot 29 each weighed 67.5g, and clocked at 1871 fps average

Thanks Ron pretty much same as my findings . With upper end charges 80 grains and above by weight every 5 grains by weight increases velocity by aprox 50 FPS . Lower weight charges such as your load every 5 grains is closer to 75 FPS . Does it matter in a hunting load ? Prolly not I was just curious if the heavier charge by weight would be faster even though they were the same by volume .

It does not matter . I was just curious for my own piece of mind . Thanks again Ron .

Thanks Ron pretty much same as my findings . With upper end charges 80 grains and above by weight every 5 grains by weight increases velocity by aprox 50 FPS . Lower weight charges such as your load every 5 grains is closer to 75 FPS . Does it matter in a hunting load ? Prolly not I was just curious if the heavier charge by weight would be faster even though they were the same by volume .

It does not matter . I was just curious for my own piece of mind . Thanks again Ron .

Soooo, apparently density like size does matter! wink wink.

Bill

I've always measured by weight up until 2 seasons ago when I noticed my load tubes looked fuller than the previous year and bottle. So I pulled some of my loads out still measured from the previous year to compare and sure enough there was definitely a difference. I called Western and spoke at length with Tech. He informed me that Blackhorn was experimented with between lot #s prior to them acquiring Blackhorn and that it should be measured ONLY by VOLUME.. So I measured out 120 grains by volume and went afield. That evening took a shot at 100yds on a nice doe offhand and couldn't believe the insane amount of recoil vs my normal load of 84.0gr by weight...I missed the deer and had a nice scope bite which probably should've gotten a stitch. Anyways...when I worked up my loads I experimented with up to 135 gr Volume(94.5 gr weight) and this was well beyond that recoil level.
I weighed out that 120gr volume measured charges and they were in well in excess of 98gr by weight....
That night I measured by weight with my normal 84.0gr and the following day took 2 deer. 1 at 200+ yds and another at 175yds. I also chrono'd the rifle the following weekend and it's average was within 10fps of my original load workup chrono avg. at 2375fps with 200grSST and Harvester sabot. POI was identical at 200 yds as well.
So from that experience alone I will personally continue to measure by weight all of my charges (and specifically for that rifle at 84.0gr Blackhorn by weight) with the exception of the MZ's which use 777 Pellets(my kids & Dad's).

Ok somebody help the new guy, is there an online source for black horn?
Is it shipable without a hazmat fee?
Interesting discussion here, my take away is the discrepancy in weight doesn't affect accuracy. Beyond me why.

Yes, midway,mid south,grafts,Natchez. No, there is a hazmat charge unless they are running a special. I usually buy at least 5# to be economical. Hazmat is the same for 1# or 25#. Good luck.
Ok somebody help the new guy, is there an online source for black horn?
Is it shipable without a hazmat fee?
Interesting discussion here, my take away is the discrepancy in weight doesn't affect accuracy. Beyond me why.

On the Blackhorn website is this information.......
If you prefer to weigh charges, you can convert the volume load recommendations into weighed grains by multiplying the volume load by 0.7. Example: 100 units by volume x 0.7 = 70 grains by weight. 110 volume charge x 0.7 = 77 grains by weight.

Today i took the powder from both lots, and converted them to 90g volume by using The conversion of 0.7:1

Both lots were measured by weight to be 63 grain. This converts to 90g volume. Then the loads were clocked.

Lot 29 clocked at average of 1806 fps. Lot 31 clocked at average 1822 fps.

Very good intel.

Have you shot both of these lots over chronograph measured 90 gr bye volume?

so , I think this maybe leading to having different lot numbers of BH209 means that each lot needs to be tested for velocity by what ever your load maybe . All need now is to test by volume. Has that been done already

i guess i have a hard time believing volume is more accurate. it's a chemical reaction and energy from a chemical reaction is calculated by the weight of the materials[which translates into number of molecules] in the reaction. if volume was consistant,like gasoline volume would be accurate but volumes of bh209 don't seem to have consistant density.

don't think they have actually said that, velocity maybe , but not really accuracy

Back