Blackhorn Density

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BK 209 is expensive. I know my friend is always griping. The powder is sold by weight, or so it says on the can. This new lot, should be more shots per can. Right? About 10% working on my fingers.

Lot 35 is denser than lot 33 is denser than lot 31. If one measures loads by volume, and maintains the same volume of powder using lot 35 as used when burning lot 31. The loads from lot 35 will weigh more than the loads from lot 31. Right?

Since the loads from lot 35 weigh more than the loads from lot 33,and lot 31, one gets fewer loads from the bottle.

I have been going strictly by weight using a Dillon Precision scale. The only volume measure is the brass one shown in the picture. I guess I’ll just use it in the future or find the Lee product mentioned above. Thanks to all for the replies.
I use one similar to that at the range. I set it up at home first by adjusting it to hold exactly what my Lee drops. Then i can duplicate volume at the range if I go thru all my premeasured loads.

BK 209 is expensive. I know my friend is always griping. The powder is sold by weight, or so it says on the can. This new lot, should be more shots per can. Right? About 10% working on my fingers.

If your friend shoots alot, he'd be better off buying the 5lb jug. Cuts the cost way down, vs the 10oz jugs. Plus some suppliers have nixed the hazmat charge right now for sizeable orders, so its even cheaper.

I will pass that on about 5 lb cans. And, I will pass on the notes about consistancy and that is another little incentive to go with 5lbs. I guess, I got the math wrong on more loads per can. Chalk it up to another confused village idiot.

I’ve been weighing 84 gr. of lot 25 powder for a couple of years in my Omega. I don’t have a chronograph so I have no idea what FPS I’m getting. I’m about to run out of this lot and will be shooting lot 33 next. I just ordered a powder measurer for volume to see how much volume I’m shooting now (going to dump 84 gr. weighted into it). Can I just use that same volume with the new lot 33 and be close to the lot 25? Maybe I’m understanding this correctly......

I’ve been weighing 84 gr. of lot 25 powder for a couple of years in my Omega. I don’t have a chronograph so I have no idea what FPS I’m getting. I’m about to run out of this lot and will be shooting lot 33 next. I just ordered a powder measurer for volume to see how much volume I’m shooting now (going to dump 84 gr. weighted into it). Can I just use that same volume with the new lot 33 and be close to the lot 25? Maybe I’m understanding this correctly......
Yes and no, maybe. Weigh your new 120 and see what it weighs.

My personal gun utilizes 120 gr bye volume with great accuracy.

My process is this when I get a new lot of powder i throw 20 charges bye volume and weight each charge then take average of those 20 charge weight and that is my new charge weight for this lot of powder.

Just my way and has served me well from 0 to 500 yds
Thank you for yet another great pro tech tip. Many like myself need & appreciate those words of wisdom based on hard facts alone . Just invaluable & a lil more off the learning curve if you will. Kind regards

Another possibility. What you might want to check is how much BH209 it can dispense in 1 pull. This one will do upto 150gr by weight of Varget but much less of some other powders. So i would pay attention to how much BH209 it can drop at the max setting.
https://www.opticsplanet.com/lyman-brass-smith-powder-measure.html
Lee added BH209 to the dipper chart so you can cross reference powders by volume to get a rough idea
https://leeprecision.com/files/instruct/Dippers.pdf
The 4.3cc dipper is around 42.7gr by weight of BH209.

Last edited:
Another possibility. What you might want to check is how much BH209 it can dispense in 1 pull. This one will do upto 150gr by weight of Varget but much less of some other powders. So i would pay attention to how much BH209 it can drop at the max setting.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019622550?pid=443812
Lee added BH209 to the dipper chart so you can cross reference powders by volume to get a rough idea
https://leeprecision.com/files/instruct/Dippers.pdf
The 4.3cc dipper is around 42.7gr by weight of BH209.
Good point i dont think my lee will drop 120

If you cross reference 4759 you will get close enough it wont matter. They are within a grain. So if you know how much 4759 it can drop, you know very close to how much BH209 it can drop.

And thanks for asking too. I can afford that Lyman measure. Always wanted a cheap consistent way to measure BH209 by volume also.

My own experience.
For those new to using a powder measure like RCBS Uniflow, keep your technique the same for each throw.
For example use the same downwards handle pressure on recharging the measure’s vial. Some tap the measure body before throwing.Or lift the handle a little one or two times delivering the same force down.
Not really necessary using a ball type powder as in smokeless.
But a stick powder yes.
Does produce more accurate repetitive deliveries.

Last edited:
Just my opinion, for me..........the RCBS Uniflow has worked about the best with Black horn. Perhaps it should be stated, mine are old, if that matters. Blackhorn clogged up the Redding measure, which is a better measure for smokeless, but didn't work the best with Blackhorn. The Uniflow is dedicated to Blackhorn, and using it, one can load vials very quickly, day after day, year after year.

If you use any Volumetric powder measure with a plastic hopper, powder measure, drop tube as well as plastic storage vials/tubes, make sure to remove all static cling first. Just wipe the inside of all plastic with fabric softener sheet. Roll it up tight to get inside the measures, tubes, and into tight spots.

By removing static from the equation, you will get more consistent charges. The powder will flow more consistent and freely. This goes for plastic storage tubes, powder funnel on your jug, powder drop, plastic pan on scale as well. One fabric softener sheet will do everything in your process

Latest posts

Back