Blackhorn Frustration

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eazyduzit94

Reaction score
I'm having full ignition issues with my 45cal CVA Paramount and was hoping to get some advice. I'm almost 80 percent sure it has to do with the Blackhorn powder or my measuring abilities. This issue has been persistent since this first shot out of the box. I'm on my 10th shot with the new rifle. I'm measuring out 105gr of Blackhorn by weight to equal a 150gr volume charge (per the owners manual) on a Hornady G3-1500 scale. I'm using the factory included 285gr Powerbelt ELR bullets and CCI Large Rifle #200 primers. When I pour my powder into a Magnum charge tube, the powder sits about even with the 120 volume line. The rifle shoots consistent, holding my same zero after every outing, but SUPER dirty after 1 single shot. The breech plug is charcoal black with crusty build up that I have to scrape off with a pick and barely can scrub off the rest with solvent. The barrel is the same charcoal black coated. For sure not measuring up to the no swab hype in between shots. When I shot 777, it burned much cleaner in other rifles I have compared to Blackhorn. I do use the Blackhorn branded cleaning solvent to clean the rifle. I so far have tried: new different lot number of primers, different new container of Blackhorn, raised and lowered the amount of powder charge, changed the tightness I put on the breechplug, fired with and without oiling the barrel after cleaning, marked my ramrod for consistent loading, and changed the conditions I was shooting in (cold, hot, humid). It has shot the exact same every time. Any advice? What am I doing wrong!? I'm about to lose my cool and go back to using 777.....

Why don't you drop your powder charge down to 110 gr to 120 gr by volume to see what happens.

I would have tried to go that low already but #13 of my owners manual said to not load below 140V/98W. That's the lowest I tried. I guess I will try 120V/84W

Are you getting a ‘crack/recoil’ out of the rifle upon ignition or is it weak ?
Based on your description, you may not be getting good burn - leaving the bore very dirty..
How tight is you bullet? If loose fit, you might be blowing the bullet forward before complete ignition - BH209 needs pressure to build to get a good burn.
Hmmm

Check the face of the breech plug [powder end] to see if there is any gas cutting taking place. Also, have you tried sealing the threads with anti-seize or teflon tape? Soot all over the breech area sort of sounds like you have a gas leak somewhere.

Are you sure you have Blackhorn 209?? Is there a chance someone diluted it with a different powder?????
You buy it from an individual ????? Was there a seal?????
Yes both containers are Blackhorn 209. Bought them both from a sporting goods store new with sealed tops

Are you getting a ‘crack/recoil’ out of the rifle upon ignition or is it weak ?
Based on your description, you may not be getting good burn - leaving the bore very dirty..
How tight is you bullet? If loose fit, you might be blowing the bullet forward before complete ignition - BH209 needs pressure to build to get a good burn.
Hmmm
There's for sure noticeable recoil and a cloud of smoke when I shoot it. I can tell a big difference in this rifle vs my old TC 50cal with 100gr of 777. The bullets do slide down fairly easy. I don't think CVA would send bullets with their rifles that aren't tested already. Especially when they reference those bullets and Blackhorn every other sentence in the owners manual...

Check the face of the breech plug [powder end] to see if there is any gas cutting taking place. Also, have you tried sealing the threads with anti-seize or teflon tape? Soot all over the breech area sort of sounds like you have a gas leak somewhere.
The threads come from the factory loaded with anti-seize, good there. Tried looking up gas cutting but not sure I understand what you mean. The entire inside of the breechplug "powder end" is loaded with a thick black soot but the outside rim of the breechplug isn't.

You mentioned that you're using CCI large rifle primers so I will assume you are loading them into something to insert in order to fire. Are you sure that the insert is sealing tight? If the inside of the plug is full of black crud as well as the outside of the plug at the breech, something is not sealing.

You mentioned that you're using CCI large rifle primers so I will assume you are loading them into something to insert in order to fire. Are you sure that the insert is sealing tight? If the inside of the plug is full of black crud as well as the outside of the plug at the breech, something is not sealing.
Yes, it's called a variflame adapter sent by CVA with the rifle. They also send a special tool to press the primer into it. Trust me, you can't beat them down into it any farther or harder than I already did. The entire outside of the breech plug is soot free, the entire inside portion is sooted up on both ends.... If I get a chance to shoot it again tomorrow I will take some pics of it.

There's for sure noticeable recoil and a cloud of smoke when I shoot it. I can tell a big difference in this rifle vs my old TC 50cal with 100gr of 777. The bullets do slide down fairly easy. I don't think CVA would send bullets with their rifles that aren't tested already. Especially when they reference those bullets and Blackhorn every other sentence in the owners manual...
Sounds like you have an oversized bore and the bullets are too loose… I’d bet $ those swaged bullets don’t vary as much as the bores.
Do you have to ability to try a different (tighter) bullet to see if you get a better ignition? I would try to load something/anything tighter down the bore.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have an oversized bore and the bullets are too loose…
Do you have to ability to try a different (tighter) bullet to see if you get a better ignition? I would try to load something/anything tighter down the bore.
Good luck.
I agree.

Wasn't there alot of issues with the Paramounts and bore size? I don't recall if it was .40 or .45 or both.

I'll have to shop around online to try to find some and report back. Not much locally for .45cal.
I can send you a few of something if you need it. I think a tan sabot and a knurled up .40 bullet would give the biggest, tightest combo. Or even some 265 STBs or lead conicals at .453 and a cut sabot sub base. PM me your address and Ill send you some stuff.

I can send you a few of something if you need it. I think a tan sabot and a knurled up .40 bullet would give the biggest, tightest combo. Or even some 265 STBs or lead conicals at .453 and a cut sabot sub base. PM me your address and Ill send you some stuff.

That's mighty nice of you, I'll keep that in mind. First, before I do anything else, I am going to wait to see what CVA has to say back to the email I sent them. I'll give them a chance to fix this lemon, if that's what it is. No use wasting your or my money on a turd of a muzzleloader. If they give me some bs reply back and don't want to help, I will put them on blast first, and then try to tinker with the $1500 lemon. No use rushing to tinker and give them excuses to blame it on me.

Latest posts

Back