Blackhorn Frustration

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ONE time I had the jag stuck to a bullet in a wolf. It actually pulled the bullet all the way back to the muzzle. I was showing someone how to shoot their new gun.

I couldn't believe it. Pretty unsettling to think that the jag could unseat the bullet when backing out.

I have a new jag because the old one broke and I may stuff some cotton in the opening. Thanks.

I had the jag stick an pull the bullet off it`s seat on my Accura mr. It came with a cleaning jag which I reamed out some. It resolved the problem.

Thanks, I’ll give it a shot, what I did was buy their heavy field brass three piece ram rod and then only used the two long pieces along with a 40cal spin jag, it works without sticking but is somewhat heavier than the collapsible ramrod.
You could drill the middle hole a little bigger and deeper. I had to do that to a bullet seater this morning.

Well my package from CVA finally arrived. They sent me a new breechplug and a bolt nose spring. I tried just the new breech plug this time out. One step at a time, you know. I wanna really nail down the exact problem incase it happens again. Verdict after one shot is that’s it’s still pretty dirty after just one shot but not as dirty as before I feel like, and had an enormous smoke cloud. I thought that was odd as well. Gun still hits exactly where I have it zeroed, which is positive. I will be hunting the next couple weeks with it so I won’t have time to deep dive tinker until seasons over. I did replace the bolt nose spring today. I did not think about the ramrod situation. Maybe I’ll mess with that today while it’s snowing. Does anyone have a inside barrel picture after a blackhorn shot I can compare mine to? I couldn’t for the life of me get a good pic taken of mine. Here are a few pics I took after ONE shot on a BRAND NEW breechplug. The fouling was hard and crusty. I resorted to using a .38cal wire cleaning brush on a handgun cleaning rod to fit inside the breechplug and break up the fouling

Attachments

• 9886D55F-2262-4263-B1A3-5C0BB56A066A.jpeg
    9886D55F-2262-4263-B1A3-5C0BB56A066A.jpeg
    260.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 3CE47006-3DD5-4525-B2FE-2A612A2701D6.jpeg
    3CE47006-3DD5-4525-B2FE-2A612A2701D6.jpeg
    819.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 2E6C6A7F-31E7-49A8-820B-59532B614D94.jpeg
    2E6C6A7F-31E7-49A8-820B-59532B614D94.jpeg
    382.5 KB · Views: 0
I have the same breechplug and I shoot BH. I am not surprised by your photos. Cleaning 777 off a breech plug (after a soak) is much easier than BH in my experience. The bore will have visible fouling with BH. Less than other powders and still easier to push another sabot down with BH.

Update: For those of you who don't like reading, the gun shot noticeably cleaner today but I think I still can get it a little better. I took it out and shot it in the conditions I will be hunting in. It was 5 degrees outside this morning. I did take it directly from the house to the truck for about a 30min ride inside the truck, took it out into the cold, and immediately loaded/shot it. This could be a variable that slightly skewed my results, but I think it would be minimal. Before this trip I changed the bolt nose spring with the new one that CVA sent me, added more synthetic grease to the plug, and put the breech plug in truly finger tight. I truly think the most important factor today was that for the first time I took the solid, one piece rod CVA sends with the gun, tipped with the Powerbelt included orange plastic loading jag. Before I always used the carbon foldable rod with the fixed aluminum jag on the end. I felt like I did get a little bit of suction with the plastic jag when I seated the bullet, but I sightly turned the ramrod and it released just fine. To my surprise, I did get a better powder burn. After this approaching week long blizzard passes by, I will give another update if I can get the powder to burn even better. Thanks for the ideas everyone.

The bullets do slide down fairly easy.
That is likely part of your problem and also the 150 gr volume charge. There really is no need to go over 120 gr. (personally I wouldn't go over 100). All you're doing is wasting expensive powder. I know the skirt on the Powerbelt bullets expand to engage the rifling but IMO, and a lot of other guys feel the same way, there are much better bullets out there.. You need a good tight seal.
The crust you're finding on your breech plug could be because you're putting too much oil on your plug and its cooking on it. Not sure. Except for anti-seize on my BP threads I like to shoot a clean dry rifle. No oil. The blowback issue is something entirely different and likely a manufacturing problem. Did you send CVA pics?

not sure this applies in this instance but i remember talking to knight rifles a while back about this issue with a rifle and they said to use a copper washer in between the breech plug and the barrel it would crush and make a seal ??

not sure this applies in this instance but i remember talking to knight rifles a while back about this issue with a rifle and they said to use a copper washer in between the breech plug and the barrel it would crush and make a seal ??
Did they have a specific copper washer in mind? Or just let you find something that fit?

boy that is too bad, Following any feedback from CVA, In the Meantime...... I really dont think it is the powder. but before you go back to T7, try the new shooters world multi purpose black. It is a about 70 fps slower by volume with the same T7 charge, however no crud ring very little smoke and I swab after ever 4 shots could go more I'm sure. Does not foul much. It is my new go to. And at 26.99 a pound at scheels it is worth the try. I love it. I also use T7 for I have a bunch. but this is my new BH209 cuz I'm not selling a kidney for some. happy shooting

I would have tried to go that low already but #13 of my owners manual said to not load below 140V/98W. That's the lowest I tried. I guess I will try 120V/84W
This volume/weight seems incorrect. The volume of pellets vs volume of loose powders are NOT the same. Google blackhorn 209 load data for muzzleloader rifles. The max charge of blackhorn you should be using by volume would be 120 grains, which equates to 84 grains by weight. I believe you are using way too much!

This volume/weight seems incorrect. The volume of pellets vs volume of loose powders are NOT the same. Google blackhorn 209 load data for muzzleloader rifles. The max charge of blackhorn you should be using by volume would be 120 grains, which equates to 84 grains by weight. I believe you are using way too much!
All depends on the lot number. In many cases a true 120gr VOLUME charge is going to weigh up to 96grs WEIGHT.

Honestly there ain't no reason to use that much powder regardless what the manf. says. I'd be willing to bet if you dropped your charge down to 100 gr V , 70 gr Wt., and compress your bullet firmly over the charge you'll do well. Also wrap your BP with teflon tape and seat firmly in the breech. If you're still getting blowback around your BP send the rifle back.

I don’t know how I missed seeing this thread earlier. Have you resolved anything? I too have a lemon barreled Paramount and have been trying 40 cal bullets in Harvester crush blue sabots, shooting Blackhorn, with poor results at 100 yds. I’ll still test various loads including a cast bullet but so far only feel like I’ve wasted a lot of Blackhorn.

now this is not a CVA but a Knight 40 cal I shoot and all I use is Blackhorn 209 and my breech plug never looked like the one you posted dirty yes but easy to clean
I certainly hope you figure out what is going on with your rifle

I had a similar prob with federal 209A primers w 110g volume blackhorn 209. Misfired every other shot. Went back to cheddites 100% firing. I have a cva mrx 50 cal.

Back