Blowing the Dust off my M98

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Blowing the dust off my M98 Elite Hunter.504 cal. Have not shot it in quite some time. Ordered up some 460 gr No Excuses that are on the way. Hoping they will be the ticket for this gun. Tried shooting sabots out of this gun years back and they were a no go. Hence the reason for it collecting dust ever since. My Bison .54 cal. has always cloverleafed conicals so I should have known better.
I was hoping to use the M98 on a Colorado Elk Hunt in a couple of years. I presently have 25 non resident preference points. I am waiting until I have enough points to hunt the hard to get units in the north western corner of the state. As lots of you guys know Colorado ML elk is .50 cal min, no scopes, no sabots.
I plan to get dialed in and figure out my bullet drop with a scope. Looking to shoot up to 200 yds max.. After figuring out my best load, getting dialed in and removing my scope.... I plan on installing Lyman front globe sight with Skinner cross hair insert and a Peep rear sight. Got plenty of 2 & 3 f powders in Swiss and Triple 7 to test along with some wool wads.
I will have plenty of time to get this gun shooting to my liking with open sights. Any good experienced advice would be welcome.
Thx, Joe

I never tried the lighter 460 conicals in my S91 .504, but she really likes the 495 "Trashcans" with 90gr of T7 2Fg. I killed a nice doe couple of years back with that load in late season. My S91 .451 is such a deer killer the .504 doesn't see much action! I will never shoot saboted bullets in any of my White rifles....Got the Optima V2 for that.

I never tried the lighter 460 conicals in my S91 .504, but she really likes the 495 "Trashcans" with 90gr of T7 2Fg. I killed a nice doe couple of years back with that load in late season. My S91 .451 is such a deer killer the .504 doesn't see much action! I will never shoot saboted bullets in any of my White rifles....Got the Optima V2 for that.
I have found saboted bullets shoot just as good as 464 grain roll my own. So a changed over a couple years ago, less work, I guess I'm getting lazy in my old age. Besides I don't have 44 mag anymore and do have a lot of bullets (240 grain XTP's).

Jerry

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back