Blue Diamond Muzzleloader Bullets -- Two

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_5254.JPG

IMG_5255.JPG

The bottles are 25 yard out from rifle.

VIDEO

The bullet destroyed the first two bottles, went through the third bottle; was captured by the fourth bottle.

IMG_5258.JPG

IMG_5261.JPG

IMG_5260.JPG

This shoot followed ideas presented by

Confederate rifleman

Couldn't help but notice the rifling marks. I've thought for some time now, that bullets fired with sabots have a higher velocity threshold than fired from barrels of their caliber. The rifling causing stress risers in the jacket which promotes expansion. Without them, the jackets can hold together better. I believe that's why bullets fired at several hundred fps above their factory rating, do so well when shot from muzzleloaders with sabots. The .40 caliber Hornady XTP's come to mind.
I'd be curious to see how these bullets expand , at the same velocity, fired from a sabot. And maybe both ways until they fail. Which survived the higher velocities? Then the question would be answered.
Just a thought.

....... what I believe is happening is when the expansion leaves the ogive and progresses down the shank/ bearing surface of the bullet. Thats when the jacket gets weakened by the rifling. Doesnt happen with a sabot. So when velocities allow expansion to progress to that point, I think the bullet will hold together better if the jacket is unmarked by the rifling. Just a thought.

This shoot the bullet was shot in a 50 rifle in a sabot. In previous shoot the bullet was shot in a 45 rifle sans sabot. To match the speed of the first bullet, which was between1650 fps, and 1700 fps, a little more powder was needed. 80 grain of 777 powder was burned in the first shoot. This shoot used 83 grain 777 powder.

IMG_5263.JPG

IMG_5262.JPG

Not bad at all, essentially the same to me. Thanks for these tests Ron. I assume the Traditions Carnivore is the same bullet but only a red tip?

Berry is right here in St.George. I’d live to tour their operation some day.

Nasty ball that!
Thank you Ron for the test! Looks like that one is pushed about as fast as it could be and still keep it together.
Awhile back. I shot a doe with a 40 caliber 200 grain XTP that left the muzzle at 1800 fps. The shot was about 12 yards. The deer just yanked all 4 feet straight up and dropped like a stone.
The bullet bingoed the shoulder ball and a rib going in. It didn't exit, nor could I find it, but the damage was enormous all the way to, and through, the diaphragm.
This bullet was rated by Hornady for a maximum velocity of 1250 fps. This one held together at about 500 fps faster at impact, blowing some decent bone to bitty shards in the process. This is why I credit the intact jacket allowing higher velocities. I had similar results with the 180 grain 40 cal XTPs too.
Of course it just be the XTPs are just THAT good a bullet...
Again Ron, thank you for your time and efforts. Your work gives many confidence in their loads even before they draw blood. One less thing to worry about is always a good thing!

At smokeless speeds that .40 200 XTP is a varmint bullet. Don't have a clue why I was told to use that bullet out of my Encore conversion!! Nice broadside shot put a 1/4" flat piece of lead into a backstrap steak.

..............bullet was rated by Hornady for a maximum velocity of 1250 fps. This one held together at about 500 fps faster at impact, blowing some decent bone to bitty shards in the process. This is why I credit the intact jacket allowing higher velocities..............

Hope to look at a pistol bullet flying a way faster than pistol speeds..........

I've read of folk getting some pretty giddy speeds out of my all time favorite bullet. The 250 grain .45 XTP. I can report that even with a modest muzzle velocity of 1575 fps( rated to 1500 fps by Hornady), they QUICKLY remove a deer's will to live...

Back