BOATERS BEWARE................

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Boaters beware!!

A recent authorization allowing the summer sale of gasoline containing 15% ethanol (E15) at roadside gas stations presents a problem for boaters. This type of fuel is federally prohibited for recreational vessel use, causes marine engine damage, and will void marine engine warranty. Additionally, E15 fuel has been shown to make engines run hotter, increasing the potential of a catastrophic boat fire. Signs or warning labels may not be obvious at the pump as it may simply be marked as “regular 88” or “regular unleaded”. The convenience of filling a tow vehicle and boat at the same time may cause boaters to overlook this potentially dangerous detail. Please ensure the fuel you are dispensing into your boat contains no more than 10% ethanol (E10).

Boaters beware!!

A recent authorization allowing the summer sale of gasoline containing 15% ethanol (E15) at roadside gas stations presents a problem for boaters. This type of fuel is federally prohibited for recreational vessel use, causes marine engine damage, and will void marine engine warranty. Additionally, E15 fuel has been shown to make engines run hotter, increasing the potential of a catastrophic boat fire. Signs or warning labels may not be obvious at the pump as it may simply be marked as “regular 88” or “regular unleaded”. The convenience of filling a tow vehicle and boat at the same time may cause boaters to overlook this potentially dangerous detail. Please ensure the fuel you are dispensing into your boat contains no more than 10% ethanol (E10).
hey thanks ill spread the word its bullcrap they can sell it but its probally the gas mafia again

God resource for those looking to get away from ‘corn squeezins’:
https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=
Kwik-Trip chain in my area has also started carrying “real” (non-ethanol) gas in recent years. My motorcycle, boat, and small engines ALWAYS get ethanol-free premium! :lewis:

Like MrTom, I have ‘seasonal’ equipment, due to my location.

It’s hard to get the boat in the water, when there are pickup trucks driving on the ice!

Other than our van, anything that resides in our garage and uses gasoline, it gets non-oxy. If the gas calls for an oil mix, synthetic oil is used. I top off the gas can that has non-oxy in it in the fall and add Stabil. In the spring any fuel left in said can gets dumped into the van's tank and new fuel is put back in the can but without stabil. I no longer ice fish so that eases the burden of junk I need to feed gas to and as a rule I can get thru the winter with 5 gallons of the good stuff.

Am seeing ethanol free gas now selling for about .50/gallon than "water gas" around here. With now rampant inflation this make it only 10% more.

I use Sta-Bil 360 performance in all my small engines, have done this for ever and never had an issue. I put it in every tank as advised by an old small engine builder I knew way back when.
This method works on a larger scale as well, stuff is cheap insurance.

I use Sta-Bil 360 performance in all my small engines, have done this for ever and never had an issue. I put it in every tank as advised by an old small engine builder I knew way back when.
This method works on a larger scale as well, stuff is cheap insurance.
I also use Sta-Bil 360 in gas that is sometimes over a year old.
Have never had any problems. Stuff always seems to do its job.
Big or small, the engines run fine.

The generator went out on our houseboat several years ago. The manager added Stabil to the fuel every year for three years while we used portable generators. When we got a new generator, it started right up and ran fine. Stabil is magic.

I use non- ethanol gas in everything except my truck and the wife's car. Everything else gets real gas from chainsaws, 25hp outboard, 200hp outboard, side by side and garden tillers. Luckily most of the stations around here carry at least one grade of it. I've use Marine Sta-Bil for years in all my gas can gas, but on the recommendation of a good friend and mechanic I switched to this a couple of years ago, kind of hard to find, usually end up buying a case at a time online.
1653230902880.png

I use non- ethanol gas in everything except my truck and the wife's car. Everything else gets real gas from chainsaws, 25hp outboard, 200hp outboard, side by side and garden tillers. Luckily most of the stations around here carry at least one grade of it. I've use Marine Sta-Bil for years in all my gas can gas, but on the recommendation of a good friend and mechanic I switched to this a couple of years ago, kind of hard to find, usually end up buying a case at a time online.
View attachment 21390
Good stuff! Always use it at every fill up on my boat.

Back