Bore Buttons

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweesdad

Reaction score
Hi
I have used these things with my .50, & .58, with mixed results. Shooting a PRP out of the .50, there is a noticeable increase in accuracy with the bore button. No difference with any conical.
In the .58, round ball accuracy goes out the window when I use a bore button, and conicals are even worse.
So, does anyone have any experience that they are willing to share with bore buttons in a .54?
Thanks in advance.

Bore buttons or felt over powder wads as sold by Ox yoke orginals have worked very well for me. In both the 50 & 54 caliber TC hawken rifles I always use them with conicals. When shooting heavy hunting loads and a patched round ball they provice a fire wall to protect the patch. For me they have always increased my accuracy.

I've used them in ML shotgun, .58 and .62 flintlock, and .50cap percussion. I've not seen an instance where I could conclude the felt wads caused inferior results.

For most shooting in my PRB rifles I don't use them, but, when hunting, I put one under the PRB to prevent patch lube from migrating into the powder charge. I also will also use them with thin patch/fat ball combintaions if the patches appear burned without the wad.

Latest posts

Back