Bottom pour furnace procedures

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Was given a Lee 10 lb bottom pour. Never used one before, always used a dipper. I'm curious about what if any changes to stirring/ fluxing go with a bottom pour, seeing as ( in theory) the lighter impurities should rise to the top. I'll only be using pure lead in this.
The plug takes up a but of space in the melt. A little awkward to get around. I'm looking forward to trying this. Might use it for the inaugural cast for my .50 cal Lyman maxi mold.

Ive never dipped. Ive been using a 10# Lee bottom pour for several years. Just had to drill out the spout hole when i started casting over 300grn. I drain and clean/scrape out the pot every couple hundred bullets, or whenever i start getting clogs in the spout. Otherwise I follow alot of IdahoLewis methods. Main thing is to gently return bullets, or lead ingots, to the pot so they slowly sink in leaving any contaminants on top.

I use a ladle. I tried to use the bottom pour but I just couldn't keep the spout at a consistent speed of filling the mould.

I use mine just as it came, no drilling, and I have no problems pouring 460gr bullets.

I'm up for trying new things. I think one of the benefits is keeping the contaminates out of the fill. I'll be curious to see how consistency of the bullet weight compares to ladeled

My Lee bottom pour melting pot finally gave up after 40+ years of great service. I purchased another one by Lee but somewhat larger. I hope I make it another 40!

Latest posts

Back