Bought a used CVA Optima V2

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rickt300

Reaction score
Was in a hurry so I didn't do more than look down the muzzle. Too busy to look at it yesterday so this morning I start taking it apart. Really like the design. No issues getting the plug out but the rifle had been fired and not cleaned, probably shot once and left dirty. My guess the powder used was T7 firestar pellets as some were included with the rifle. Being old school Black powder and Pyrodex shooter I cringed! Not to worry easy clean, no rust beautiful bore. Thanks T7! Putting a scope on it but need to get out and hunt the late doe season before it's out.

Tested this rifle yesterday, shot some 30 bullets. I first mounted a Hawke "Vantage" 2-7x scope on it. As is my usual way of doing the initial sight in I got pretty close to the target, a paper plate and let fly offhand to see where the first round hit. Amazingly dead center at 20 yards. I gave it 4 clicks down and went to my 50 yard bench and fired two more one of which touched the first shot! So I gave the scope 6 clicks up and moved back to my 100 yard bench where the first bullet hit at the top of the paper plate so I give it 12 clicks down supposedly 3 inches with 1/4 inch clicks. This bullet hits two inches low so no the click values are not 1/4 inch more like a half inch. 6 clicks up and my bullet lands 2 inches high from dead center just what I wanted. I am shooting the Shooters world multi purpose Black, wet patching with windshield washer fluid drying the barrel and shooting, dry patching and shooting, dry patching and shooting then wet patching again. When I started shooting groups with a selection of bullets, the 270 grain deep curl, the 240 grain deep curl in green crush rib sabots, a 250 grain .452 cast flat nose from a LEE mold in a black sabot and finally a .452 250 grain Monoflex in a red sabot. I used the same powder charge with all bullets, 80 grains by volume. My end run was to get sighted in with the Monoflex bullets. This barrel like to be shot clean. The second shot dry patched was usually an inch or so low out of the group with the first two almost touching. The trigger is excellent, light and crisp. Most of my groups were around an inch and a half, probably would have been better if I had wet patched between shots or only dry patched one shot in the group instead of two. The least accurate were the 250 grain cast bullets generally making 2 inch groups. If I had a snivel it would be that I prefer an extractor built into the rifle like my Encore. All sabots loaded "snugly" not overly hard. Wish my Encore was like this. I know I could tighten groups a bit by moving up in the charge weight or at least my Encore likes somewhat heavier powder charges for best accuracy. As another snivel I hate the false muzzle of both rifles. It is not needed even for saboted bullets.

Glad it cleaned up well...I used to help clean customer inlines and the modern barrels usually responded well to a good cleaning and worked great afterwards. As a new Optima V2 owner, I too like the design, and look forward to dialing mine in.

Tested this rifle yesterday, shot some 30 bullets. I first mounted a Hawke "Vantage" 2-7x scope on it. As is my usual way of doing the initial sight in I got pretty close to the target, a paper plate and let fly offhand to see where the first round hit. Amazingly dead center at 20 yards. I gave it 4 clicks down and went to my 50 yard bench and fired two more one of which touched the first shot! So I gave the scope 6 clicks up and moved back to my 100 yard bench where the first bullet hit at the top of the paper plate so I give it 12 clicks down supposedly 3 inches with 1/4 inch clicks. This bullet hits two inches low so no the click values are not 1/4 inch more like a half inch. 6 clicks up and my bullet lands 2 inches high from dead center just what I wanted. I am shooting the Shooters world multi purpose Black, wet patching with windshield washer fluid drying the barrel and shooting, dry patching and shooting, dry patching and shooting then wet patching again. When I started shooting groups with a selection of bullets, the 270 grain deep curl, the 240 grain deep curl in green crush rib sabots, a 250 grain .452 cast flat nose from a LEE mold in a black sabot and finally a .452 250 grain Monoflex in a red sabot. I used the same powder charge with all bullets, 80 grains by volume. My end run was to get sighted in with the Monoflex bullets. This barrel like to be shot clean. The second shot dry patched was usually an inch or so low out of the group with the first two almost touching. The trigger is excellent, light and crisp. Most of my groups were around an inch and a half, probably would have been better if I had wet patched between shots or only dry patched one shot in the group instead of two. The least accurate were the 250 grain cast bullets generally making 2 inch groups. If I had a snivel it would be that I prefer an extractor built into the rifle like my Encore. All sabots loaded "snugly" not overly hard. Wish my Encore was like this. I know I could tighten groups a bit by moving up in the charge weight or at least my Encore likes somewhat heavier powder charges for best accuracy. As another snivel I hate the false muzzle of both rifles. It is not needed even for saboted bullets.
How is the Shooters World powder? I acquired some but still use BH209

As for the Shooters World Multi Purpose Black I do like it so far. It does leave enough residue that patching is required between shots but it seems pretty consistent. I bought 4 pounds of it a while ago and just finished burning up the second pound. In my rifles the bottom powder charge for reasonable accuracy seems to be 80 grains. In my Encore 100 grains is better, haven't tested that charge in the CVA yet.

SWBP is my goto for all my Inlines. Little slower than T7 but I shoot it in my MR-X 45 at 80 grns. My Mr-x Likes a tight bullet, So going to Parker X and sizing them to bore with SWBP.. My Optima V2 eats 240 xtp, SST, Monoflex like candy and shoot the SWBP great. Cleans up easy and really enjoy this powder. I now have 7 pounds in stock and should last awhile.

Latest posts

Back