Boyds stock?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amudgett

Reaction score
This was covered back in 2017 kinda unanswered, but has anyone ever put a boyds stock on a Remington ultimate muzzleloader? Really wanted a thumbhole stock and love the look of the laminated boyds!!

Not quite the same rifle but I got one for a 700ML. It was ok at the bench, but was unhandy while hunting, and the reach from thumb to trigger is a bit much for most people. It got replaced with a Pro Varmint in Forest Camo, Simms recoil pad, and I couldn't be happier.

Not quite the same rifle but I got one for a 700ML. It was ok at the bench, but was unhandy while hunting, and the reach from thumb to trigger is a bit much for most people. It got replaced with a Pro Varmint in Forest Camo, Simms recoil pad, and I couldn't be happier.
Awesome. Thanks for the info. I contacted boyds and they said they do not manufacture a stock for the ultimate.

At the time I ordered mine, it was called TactiCool and they later changed the name to ProVarmint. They did not then have one, per se, for the 700ml, either. I took a chance and ordered for a 700 short action with a bull barrel. Action screw placements were the same. I had to open up the stock some in the "chamber" area but it otherwise fit. The magazine slot required filling for bedding but pillaring and bedding was something I had planned on doing, anyway.

Last edited:
I was looking at their website recently. I have a H&R Handi rifle. Would like order a stock for it.
Are they about the same weight as the wood stock?

Seems like whenever I reply to something here, it's usually negative, and I really am not a negative person. But I figure if someone had stopped me from some of my purchases I would have been a lot better off.
That being said, here I go again. I had a great shooting CZ455 .22lr Varmint model. I put a Timney trigger on it and a Lilja stainless varmint contour barrel. At one point I saw and liked the look of the Boyd's Pro Varmint stock, so I ordered it in green. The action section did not line up with the barrel channel to the extent that it was almost unusable. I wrote to them and never got an answer.

Seems like whenever I reply to something here, it's usually negative, and I really am not a negative person. But I figure if someone had stopped me from some of my purchases I would have been a lot better off.
That being said, here I go again. I had a great shooting CZ455 .22lr Varmint model. I put a Timney trigger on it and a Lilja stainless varmint contour barrel. At one point I saw and liked the look of the Boyd's Pro Varmint stock, so I ordered it in green. The action section did not line up with the barrel channel to the extent that it was almost unusable. I wrote to them and never got an answer.
Yeah their customer service is not the best.

I have purchased 2 of their Stocks over the last few years, a Pro Varmint for a Weatherby VG S2, and most recently their Prairie Hunter for a Rem 700 Long Action. The Pro Varmint for the Weatherby was a Taylor perfect Fit, Perfectly Free Floated and all, Literally “Plug & Play” I couldn’t be Happier with it.
The Rem 700 on the other Hand required a Substantial amount of Tinkering with, Barrel channel was way to Tight, the Bolt Cutout needed opened some as well so my Bolt would function properly. None of it was difficult, Just took some time tinkering with it. Someone that didn’t have proper tools, and some wood working knowledge would probably of had a Tough time with this Rem 700 Stock i got from them.

I have purchased 2 of their Stocks over the last few years, a Pro Varmint for a Weatherby VG S2, and most recently their Prairie Hunter for a Rem 700 Long Action. The Pro Varmint for the Weatherby was a Taylor perfect Fit, Perfectly Free Floated and all, Literally “Plug & Play” I couldn’t be Happier with it.
The Rem 700 on the other Hand required a Substantial amount of Tinkering with, Barrel channel was way to Tight, the Bolt Cutout needed opened some as well so my Bolt would function properly. None of it was difficult, Just took some time tinkering with it. Someone that didn’t have proper tools, and some wood working knowledge would probably of had a Tough time with this Rem 700 Stock i got from them.
Their quality is a crapshoot. I have had the same exact issues on a Rem 700 stock. Please don't get me started on the Mauser stocks. They then charge extra to have the stock NOT finished. Unfortunately they are convenient and if you don't mind doing the extra work or you are willing to accept marginal wood to metal fit, they will work.

I have used several of the Choate Tactical stocks on my high velocity smokeless Remington 700 muzzleloaders with the heavier Brux barrels, and it also works on a standard Remington 700ML.
It has an internal aluminum chassis in the action and forearm area.
It is the best stock I have found for the money.

I have also used the Boyds stocks. You would have to add pillars to the Boyds stock to make it comparable to the Choate stock.

Choate Tactical Stock Remington ADL (eabco.net)

I ha a similar experience 2 years ago on my M77 270 cal Ruger. I cracked the original walnut stock why not not go for upgrade.
Right away the fit was lacking signs of detail. It didn't fit because of interference. The next one was better but I did lots of fitting to get it to work.
After conversations I concluded I didn't want it although it was attractive.
Finally gorilla wood glue healed the original and I am happy. It shoots about 1/4 MOA.

IIRC there is a company called Keystone that makes laminate stocks with pillars already in them. The Savage laminate that EABCO sells is made by them.
https://www.keystonesportingarmsllc.com/revolution-stocks/centerfire-stocks/
Stocky's has the full bedding block version for $300.
https://www.stockysstocks.com/stocks-by-brand/ksa-llc.html
accuheritage.jpg

TH version inlet already for heavy barrel if you want more of a drop in. The Sporter might need the barrel channel opened up. By the time you add pillars and a better pad to the Boyds you are getting close to the price of a Keystone.
https://www.stockysstocks.com/stock...c-riflestock-with-aluminum-bedding-block.html

Last edited:
My first custom stock was a Richards Microfit which should have been called Richards NoWayWillFit. It could not be returned so many, many man-hours were spent to make it work. By comparison, the eight Boyds stocks I received have all been a breeze. One required a little work to center the barrel correctly, but other than that no problems. Photos of the 700ML:

700ml VH.jpg
700ml Tang2.jpg

Latest posts

Back