Boys first buck!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdporter

Reaction score
A few years ago, my wife and I had a spare bedroom due to a couple of our older children leaving the nest. We (she) decided we had the room and means to help some less fortunate than us, and took in a couple of foster children. A set of brothers aged 6 and 4. Long story short we adopted them, and made them a part of our family.
Their story is a tale of neglect and abuse. They are educationally challenged, but not dumb.
They added a dynamic to our family that none of us expected. Early on it was EXTREMELY tough for all of us to become adjusted to the whole blended family thing, and I had times I thought “what the hell have I done”.
They have grown into great young men, hard working, compassionate, loyal sons, and I would never change our decision to adopt them.
This year, I decided to put them in for deer tags, and we all drew muzzleloader permits.
This morning, the oldest boy Braxton laid the hammer down on this little muley at about 80 yards. I have never seen someone more excited in my life. I wish I had recorded it.
it’s moments like this that make everything worth it.

Attachments

• 22041559-D4F9-410C-9DA8-3DFE94E66042.jpeg
    22041559-D4F9-410C-9DA8-3DFE94E66042.jpeg
    69.8 KB · Views: 92
This morning the youngest boy Alex 12 missed a real nice (for a first buck) 18-20” 3 point at about 130 yards, hit right under him. And then an hour or so later a small forked horn at about the same distance, right over him. I was surprised because he is the one who shoots the most. They’re both decent shooters, but I gave Alex the edge over Braxton. Guess I was wrong.
Today is the last day so I guess we just got one. I have work and won’t be able to go out this evening.
I only saw one buck I would have taken and he wasn’t big by any stretch, just a nice little buck. Wanted to give those boys a chance first and they let him get away without a shot. They’re learning a little more each time we go out.
Most people, including myself, frown on this but, we were stuck to road hunting because Alex has six stitches in his heel and can’t really hike, so we didn’t get to go to my usual honey holes, but they saw bucks and had chances every day, and shots the last 6 days.
I think they had a ball.
I got some guns to clean this evening now. Lol

Stacy, tell your son congratulations and awesome story ! You and your wife deserve kudos as well for helping out less fortunate kids and helping them get on the right path in life and providing love and affection for them.

As I get older, I find I enjoy helping a new hunter get his or her first game animal. It may be better than shooting one myself. It is even better when it is your kids. I've done it twice this year already. A few years ago, I took a Army Ranger back from Afghanistan on his first elk hunt. He was so excited he said it was better than sex. I told him to find a new girlfriend.

excellent! that is true happiness there, raising those two boys in the outdoors is awesome. You definitely made the right decision bringing them in to your family. Bless you Sir, you have my respect.

Latest posts

Back