BP Cartridge Prep

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was able to find some brand new Starline brass in 45-70. I've watched several YouTubes and wondering if anyone has a fairly efficient and consistent annealing method?

I was able to find some brand new Starline brass in 45-70. I've watched several YouTubes and wondering if anyone has a fairly efficient and consistent annealing method?
if i might ask where did you find it

if i might ask where did you find it
Certainly -- Gunbroker. Mine were $1.00 each plus shipping = $1.28 each. I see several on now but prices are generally higher. Depends on size -70,90,etc. There is one there now 45-70 100 pieces new @$99.00 and another - same size & # for $166 --- but both are auctions and have 4 or more days left. My experience with Gunbroker is anything popular will have snipers so need to watch closely at the end. I got very lucky in that my purchase was a "Buy Now" at roughly twice the Starline price --- when they have it
Also found this place - Specialty Brass, Once Fired And Processed Ammunition Brass For Reloaders but know nothing about them and have not used them -- yet. Their main business is reconditioned once fired brass but they also sell new brass. They list 45-70 Starline new in stock. They sell on Gunbroker but also list a phone # for direct sales
Hope that helps..

Last edited:
If it’s not an urgent need, I’ve waiting for notification from Midway and purchased it there. FWIW.

This is what I use , put the jig in a drill and case in jig , hold over flame and as it just starts to turn color drop on a paper towel. do in darkened room so you can see it turn , don't want bright redResized_20220205_092812_575962609685077.jpeg

Thank you...what puzzled me was more than 1 YouTube saying the case needed to be quenched in water
+1 on 45-70

And steel will harden with a quench, but copper and brass actually softens.

Last edited:
Having done the "torch 'n' spin 'n pray" hit-or-miss method of case annealing, the Annealeez Gen 2 is the best way to go for any and all centerfire cartridges.

Latest posts

Back