BP handgun loads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leadhoarder

Reaction score
I have never loaded a BP handgun load. I am an experience nitrocellulose reloader and have taken to shooting my muzzloaders more during the primer shortage so I do not burn through my stocks as quick. I have really begun to enjoy the smell and experience of shooting BP in the percussion guns.

I have a Uberti 1873 Colt replica in 45 colt.

Is this a good gun to cut my teeth for BP loads. I like the 1873 because it breaks down for cleaning easily but I have always heard that the WCF cartridges seal the chamber better and that 45 colt cases lead to sooty cases and cylinders. Would I be better off buying a 44-40 or is the 45 good to go? I guess back in the 1800s they used the 45 so there must not be a reason that it would not work today.

I love the 45 colt. You can load it with so many dif powders. Light or hot depends on your gun. From cowboy loads to Ruger/Contender loads. Start light like youre loading for a brass frame. Think 35 grains of BP fffg. Werk up from there watching for accuracy and pressure signs.

Back