BPCR PPB Load Testing, 2019

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lewis, If you ever pull the trigger on your dream Shiloh Sharps and end up kicking the bucket....tell your wife to let me know about the garage sale would ya? I would have to make a drive over and relieve her of the burden of that rifle and maybe a few morešŸ˜‰ Of course wishing you nothing but good health.

Lewis, If you ever pull the trigger on your dream Shiloh Sharps and end up kicking the bucket....tell your wife to let me know about the garage sale would ya? I would have to make a drive over and relieve her of the burden of that rifle and maybe a few morešŸ˜‰ Of course wishing you nothing but good health.

You betcha ā€œFriendā€œ :roll:

when it comes to barrels length with cartridge rifles much over 32 they start fouling bad and thus lead to leading. So usually must wipe with something between shots

I agree on the 30ā€ inch Barrel if a guy planned to hunt with it, a 28ā€ inch would be Great for Hunting as Well. But i Donā€™t plan to EVER Hunt with this Rig, This would Strictly be a Target/Bench, Long Range Rifle. I personally LOVE a longer Barrel for my Long Range Shooting, My Long Range Muzzleloaders have 32ā€ inch Barrels, a 34ā€ inch Barrel would be right up my Alley :lewis:
I hear ya on that I was of the same thought as you but my buddy that got me into this said the longer barrel can be a liability when shooting off sticks and he has won everything there is to win with a 30" barrel but I hear ya on the 32 or 34

I hear ya on that I was of the same thought as you but my buddy that got me into this said the longer barrel can be a liability when shooting off sticks and he has won everything there is to win with a 30" barrel but I hear ya on the 32 or 34

The 34ā€ Barrel might be a liability to some? But definitely not for everyone, Dave Gullo is a 3 Time WORLD Champion, and i am 99.9% Sure that He shoots 34ā€ Inch Barrels on his Long Range Rigs

Definitely get the one you want you can always get it cut down in the future if you need to quite a few guys have done that. Some of the guys buy too much gun and end up selling them off try to tell them but you know how that goes.

Definitely get the one you want you can always get it cut down in the future if you need to quite a few guys have done that. Some of the guys buy too much gun and end up selling them off try to tell them but you know how that goes.

I may have a Custom 68-7/8ā€ inch Barrel made for it, why? Just because:roll:

I'm anxious to do some serious testing with them too but this bpcr shooting is taking up a lot of my time it's a whole new process to learn and "try" to perfect !

I'm anxious to do some serious testing with them too but this bpcr shooting is taking up a lot of my time it's a whole new process to learn and "try" to perfect !

I think the BPCR Stuff would be a LOT of Fun, I just now got invited to Shoot one This Weekend, A 45-90 Shiloh with 34ā€ Barrel :) I will get some Pics :lewis:

We Will be shooting 200 Yards

Like i said above, I would love to have a Sharps Someday, And the one i REALLY want is the 1874 Shiloh Long Range Express, in .45-90 with a 34ā€ Barrel. Being a DIEHARD Muzzleloader Guy, I am having a hard time Justifying it. I really donā€™t think i would shoot it that much? My thinking was to Buy one so I could go Compete at the Deep Creek Range. I am gonna try and go this year and least see it, Maybe get to Shoot a little as well :)

A few months back when i was Building my RICE 1-24 Twist .50 Cal, When Ordering my Sight setup i talked to Lee Shaver over the phone, We visited a little about BPCR, I told him that i was Contemplating Buying one, But was struggling with it since I am really Dedicated Toward my Muzzleloaders. Lee didnā€™t try and talk me out of it by any means, But he did say ā€œI started out Shooting Muzzleloaders as a Kid, About 10 years ago i put a .22 Adapter in my Cartridge Gun and it is stil in there today, I prefer my Muzzleloadersā€

That got me to thinking? šŸ¤” That is VERY LIKELY what would happen to Mine if i Bought one

I am not a Huge Fan of Pedersoli, But Iā€™m also not against them. I Really HATE the idea of Buying a Brand New Rifle and having to Ream itā€™s Chamber to what i wanted to begin With. I have a friend, and AWESOME Gunsmith just up the Rd from me 4 or 5 miles, He has a Brand New .45-90 Reamer in the Sealed Package and Could easily do the Job, about 250 Bucks (This was discussed MONTHS ago :)) That leaves the Shorter 30 Inch barrel, Which i am also not a Fan of for Long Range, Just look at my 2 Long Range Muzzleloaders šŸ™‚ I LOVE a longer Barrel, at least 32ā€ inches, And would be right at Home with a 34ā€ inch Barrel
FubyxAy.jpg

Anyone that knows me, Knows that I am an ā€œALL INā€œ kinda Guy, If i end up Getting one, It will be the Shiloh 1874 Long Range Express in .45-90, With a 34ā€œ inch Barrel (Since my mind has been Set on it) Semi Fancy Wood, Pewter Nose Cap, MVA Long Range Buffalo Soule Tang Sight With MVA 112 Adjustable Front Sight, Installled by Shiloh. Might as well make it an ā€œHeirloom pieceā€ So when i Kick the Bucket my Wife can sell it in a Garage Sale :D

But for now, i have more going on with Muzzleloaders than i can Keep up with, I have another LR Muzzleloader Build in Progress as i Type this šŸ™‚

I think you should order her up and have it shipped to me. I will break it in for you. šŸ˜‰

I think the BPCR Stuff would be a LOT of Fun, I just now got invited to Shoot one This Weekend, A 45-90 Shiloh with 34ā€ Barrel :) I will get some Pics :lewis:

We Will be shooting 200 Yards
I forgot to mention last night to your point on longer barrels I have a Rossi 454 carbine lever gun I am having a 26" barrel custom made for it I can't stand that 20" barrel way too short !

The 34ā€ Barrel might be a liability to some? But definitely not for everyone, Dave Gullo is a 3 Time WORLD Champion, and i am 99.9% Sure that He shoots 34ā€ Inch Barrels on his Long Range Rigs
My 1874 C Sharps sported a hard to find Badger 34 inch barrel ,see now you know the best and the not so best shooters like 34 in barrels :elmer: Ed

My 1874 C Sharps sported a hard to find Badger 34 inch barrel ,see now you know the best and the not so best shooters like 34 in barrels :elmer: Ed

Have you shot your C. Sharps out to 700? Do you shoot it much Ed? The C. Sharps are BEAUTIFUL Rifles for Sure :lewis:

Have you shot your C. Sharps out to 700? Do you shoot it much Ed? The C. Sharps are BEAUTIFUL Rifles for Sure :lewis:
Every Friday for 2yrs April till 1st week of Bow ,a private range at a private club and was a board member (my rules) ,and we streach it to 800 yds and after that we point 180 degrees and (REALLY GET OUT THERE) but we don"t talk about that yardage . Robs vidieo shows me shooting @7 sitting behind him, standing shooting RB . the lunches are not bad either, guy that cooks is a professional (just does engineering on the side to pay for his hobbies !/Ed

Last edited:
Anything to do with physical firearms and accuracy begins with with bullet and the cartridge, as governed by the shooter's prowess. This is akin to archery, where the arrow is far more important than the bow. Accuracy, as always, becomes a matter of consistency of everything.

My point about getting into the BPCR game, for any shot distance, is that there isn't a need to spend a lot of dollars for a more than acceptable kit that will be better than the shooter. A lot of personal preferences are just that, and are not necessarily absolute standards for accuracy/consistency advantages ... or disadvantages, for that matter.

The matter of bbl length, butt shape, overall firearm weight, grip type, etc, are more personal than necessary absolutes. This can also be true of the manufacture and origins of the gun itself. This has been proofed endlessly in real world matches. As Lee Shaver, Peter Alexander, and other notables in the cartridge and muzzy games have stated, any good bbl longer than two feet will perhaps have a benefit of sight radius when it comes to consistent accuracy, or not at all.

When you spend at least a few decades in the game, whatever that game is, you begin to personally see what is really the wheat from the chaff in order to achieve your goals. Until then, yer just fishing for answers to questions you may not fully understand until yer really in the game.

Latest posts

Back