BPI Beartooth Magnum Rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcnull2305

Reaction score
I was just given an inline that is marked "BPI - New Frontier Muzzleloading, Beartooth Magnum." It's a .50 cal, 1:28 twist, 24 inch barreled inline that apparently takes a 209 primer. It has no tools with it. Appears to be stainless. Apart from being filthy, it seems to be in good condition.

ml.jpg

I can't find a lot of info, except a crappy scan of an owner's manual.

Any of you Hooligans know anything about these?

Thanks,
Jim

Looks nice. Let us know how it does. There’s a .45 on GB right now I saw, if I wasn’t trying to come up with 14k for a home down payment, I would buy it.

I've got one of these in blued steel rather than nickle. It's taken dozens of deer in the last 20 years or so. It was the forrunner to CVA's Wolf
CVA Wolf.jpg
Guessing that they bought the patent rights. Was never a very expensive gun but it's fairly lightweight, plenty accurate for whitetail in New England woods and has never failed to fire. I really like mine. So much so that I've given serious thought to making a walnut stock for it cuz' I hate plastic. If I had to find a negative about it, it'd have to be the placement of the breech locking lever. Makes it very uncomfortable to carry draped over the forearm. Other than that, Id say you've got a very nice rifle.
My load is 295gr Powerbelt HP over 90 grains of Tripple 7 FFg. Farthest kill shot was 120yards.

Muzz,

I did see that. I gotta tear this guy apart and see what's what. Doesn't look like it's ever been cleaned.

Sourced a new breech plug and wrench on the interwebs.

Looks nice. Let us know how it does. There’s a .45 on GB right now I saw, if I wasn’t trying to come up with 14k for a home down payment, I would buy it.
I looked for it again on there (GB) didn’t see it. I swear it was there, just a day or two ago. As my wife says though “you (I) are probably mistaken”

Its just a 13mm socket isnt it and the plug is just a pre QRBP like all the other pre 2010 CVA break actions.

Does QRBP mean Quick Release Breech Plug? Like the one found on the newer models? Muzz, does the mod of which you speak have to be done to shoot BH209? I would much rather use the BH, given the shorter barrel on this guy.

if you do that mod you wont have to buy another breechplug for it, just ventliners and it will shoot any loose powder better. I dont know that it HAS to be done but it is an upgrade to the standard design.

Muzzy i am considering doing this mod also. I just ordered a spare breech plug, $15, cheap enough in case i screw up. I dont like pellets,except in my revolvers, so its always loose powder. Also just got my 285 grn Hornady Great Plains bullets in for it. 3 boxes worth. 20 to be bore size, 20 to be paper patched, and 20 to be used just as they are, except with new lube. The old lube is dried up. We'll see what this baby likes. Not really happy with the trigger but will work it out later.
DL

Last edited:
Muzzy i am considering doing this mod also. I just ordered a spare breech plug, $15, cheap enough in case i screw up. I dont like pellets,except in my revolvers, so its always loose powder. Also just got my 285 grn Hornady Great Plains bullets in for it. 3 boxes worth. 20 to be bore size, 20 to be paper patched, and 20 to be used just as they are, except with new lube. The old lube is dried up. We'll see what this baby likes. Not really happy with the trigger but will work it out later.
DL
No luck with it then? Cleaning didnt help? No adjustments either i assume?

I finally took a break from dealing with the Protesters and rioters in Columbus, and wired in to cleaning this gun. Now, I love my pop, but the condition kinda made me want to punch him in the face...

Whole gun got dunked in the Lyman ultra-sonic at 170 degrees, and took 3-20 minute rides to get it "cleanish." Took the crud out of the receiver and barrel exterior. Softened the crud inside the barrel and made it scrubbable. I'll be working on the barrel's innards today. Hopefully head to the range this week for sight in.

That is, if I can get a break from dodging rocks and bottles.

Muzzy
I got some pictures of the insides of the Wolf. These came from the man i bought the parts from. Actually i see how it all works now. Not too complicated but might be a bugger to put springs in. I now see why trigger has such a long pull, it has to move the radial arm over far enough to keep the safety block up till the sear disconnects. Looks like a lot of rough parts needing refinish and polishing. Might make a slick 2 stage trigger with a little work. No time now, remodeling 2 more rooms upstairs. A good 3 to 4 week job.
DL

Attachments

• s-l1600 (2)_kindlephoto-424491706.jpg
    s-l1600 (2)_kindlephoto-424491706.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 10
  • s-l1600 (4)_kindlephoto-424369363.jpg
    s-l1600 (4)_kindlephoto-424369363.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 11
  • s-l1600 (5).jpg
    s-l1600 (5).jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 11
  • s-l1600 (4).jpg
    s-l1600 (4).jpg
    73 KB · Views: 11
DL, that trigger doesnt even look broke in yet. If you can take it apart and polish up anything that contacts anything else some i bet you will be a lot happier with it.

Latest posts

Back