Brand New and looking for help

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mhutch76

Reaction score
First let me apologize as I'm sure you've all had newbies like me that you've explained everything to previously. I can't find the threads to answer my questions so here we are. Just bought a CVA V2 LR in .50 cal. I basically bought this for the aesthetic and the thumb hole. Been trying to do my due diligence and reading what I can about, well, everything. I've purchased a couple of different bullets (Hornady Bore Driver FTX, Powerbelt Aerolite, and non tipped Powerbelt). I've also purchased White Hot and Triple 7 pellets. My primers are the Cheddite 209. I know these primers are shorter and may benefit from an o ring. I'm going to play around with these to find what the gun likes. My questions are: I had a fellow tell me that loose powder is better than pellets because you can tweak your loads more. He also recommended using a FFF instead of a FF. Are bullets that use sabots better than non sabots (like the powerbelts). If so, do I need to buy specific sized bullets that aren't .50 cal due to sabot thickness? When loading the bullets, can they "tilt" in the barrel when pushing them? If so, is that an issue (I would think so). I'm sure i have a lot more questions that I don't even know to ask so I appreciate any help. I know everybody has a load that works for them so I'm not exactly looking for that unless you have the exact same gun. I'm just looking for general advice that anyone might be willing to share. Thanks in advance.

I would start out at right about 100 grains of powder / pellet volume. See how that shoots. You can go up or down in powder or pellets from there. The Power Belts will most likely be accurate on paper, but I don't like the way they perform on deer. The Bore Drivers would be my choice for hunting.
The Barnes TEZ 250 or 290's would be my choice for hunting if you could find some and get them to shoot good from your gun.
Lots of options out there in .50 cal..
Good Luck

Welcome from Oklahoma and welcome to the world of muzzleloading.
Sounds like you have a good supply of components to start off with.
Loose powder or pellets?
2f or 3f?
I'm a loose powder fan myself. Shot for shot, loose powder is cheaper and loads can be customized for a particular gun for best accuracy.
But that's not to say that many shooters have good success with pellets.
As you gain more experience, you can decide what works best for you.

Def recommend loose powder.

fffg is the same powder as ffg, it’s just smaller grains. So more of it fits in the same volume. Therefore it is slightly more powerful at the same VOLUME. I would shoot what you can find. Doesn’t make that much diff at this point.

For now, do not weigh your powder, just use volume. In the future, if you want to weigh it, go for it, but no need at this point.

I would start at 80 gr (VOLUME) to learn the ropes. It’s cheaper and it kicks less. Once you learned the basics, then shoot 85gr, 90, 95,, 100. Any of those charges will be plenty. I shoot 95 gr for elk. Use the amount which is the most accurate.

Think about the 45-70 rifle. That is 45 cal and 70 gr of powder. That killed lots of Buffalo. More is not always better.

All good advice above. As for bullets getting crooked, probably not going to happen with that gun since its got the bullet aligning muzzle(1/2” without rifling). You wont have to deal with size of bullets while you're shooting off the shelf bullets during this learning period. Later after you are good and comfortable with loading/shooting/cleaning and have a good handle on different loads and bullets you may want to try out bullets that can be sized precisely to your particular barrel. But you also may decide that bullet/sabot combos are more to your needs and liking. There are so many ways to load and shoot that gun, you will be busy for a long time.

Welcome to the forum , the easiest ,fastest way to to get familiar with your rifle Ive found is by reading. Any question you may have put in the search bar and you will be surprised at the amount of answers you will get, and this can direct you to more specific info your looking for. Also Ive found by checking the new posts each day Im reminded of things I can use to get more out of my rifles. I realize not everyone has the free time available but if you can this works.

Deermanok and txhunter58 both are giving great advice. Without opening Pandora’s box, I myself, use 2 pyrodex 50 gr pellets and a 295 gr hp powerbelt bullet. I’ve had great success with this setup in my Optima V2 for approximately 20 years. The pb does frag if overcharged. If I were shooting for tournaments, I would definitely use loose powder and get it dialed in for more x’s. When I had my apex, I used 90 gr of goex 2f and 240 gr xtp’s with the red sabots and felt retainer rings. For that ml, this was a very good setup. These are just from my experiences for hunting purposes. Others on here more attuned for competitive shooting and pinpoint accuracy, will more than likely have better advice than me. Just my .02

Good luck in your endeavors.

Best advice I was given when I was a kid was… keep your powder dry and watch your top knot.

All good advice above. As for bullets getting crooked, probably not going to happen with that gun since its got the bullet aligning muzzle(1/2” without rifling). You wont have to deal with size of bullets while you're shooting off the shelf bullets during this learning period. Later after you are good and comfortable with loading/shooting/cleaning and have a good handle on different loads and bullets you may want to try out bullets that can be sized precisely to your particular barrel. But you also may decide that bullet/sabot combos are more to your needs and liking. There are so many ways to load and shoot that gun, you will be busy for a long time.
Great advice as well bud and I fully agree. I didn’t mean to leave you out when I referenced deermanok and txhunter58 to this young lad. Part of the reason I like this site so much is for all of the helpful and insightful folks on here. Everyone here is open and ready to help someone.
Even old dogs like me can learn something new. 😁

My muzzleloading season opens next Monday and runs for 13 days I believe. Shot my new Optima V2 this morning to make sure its still ‘on’. I shoot two pellets of White Hots and Hornady Bore Driver FTX bullets.

I bullseyed at 100 yards and shot two more at 50, into the same hole, about 1.5” high. I really like how this combination shoots and I’ve killed several hogs with it. Deer, shouldn’t be a problem. I’ll try and take one in the coming season.

Best of luck to ya!

First let me apologize as I'm sure you've all had newbies like me that you've explained everything to previously. I can't find the threads to answer my questions so here we are. Just bought a CVA V2 LR in .50 cal. I basically bought this for the aesthetic and the thumb hole. Been trying to do my due diligence and reading what I can about, well, everything. I've purchased a couple of different bullets (Hornady Bore Driver FTX, Powerbelt Aerolite, and non tipped Powerbelt). I've also purchased White Hot and Triple 7 pellets. My primers are the Cheddite 209. I know these primers are shorter and may benefit from an o ring. I'm going to play around with these to find what the gun likes. My questions are: I had a fellow tell me that loose powder is better than pellets because you can tweak your loads more. He also recommended using a FFF instead of a FF. Are bullets that use sabots better than non sabots (like the powerbelts). If so, do I need to buy specific sized bullets that aren't .50 cal due to sabot thickness? When loading the bullets, can they "tilt" in the barrel when pushing them? If so, is that an issue (I would think so). I'm sure i have a lot more questions that I don't even know to ask so I appreciate any help. I know everybody has a load that works for them so I'm not exactly looking for that unless you have the exact same gun. I'm just looking for general advice that anyone might be willing to share. Thanks in advance.
I have the Accura V2 Lr and I'm shooting 80grn blackhorn by volume with the 240grn hornady xtp with a black sabot. It's a tack driver at 100yds! I've killed 4 deer in the last 2 years with this muzzleloader and 2 were DRT and the other 2 didn't go 40yds! I'm going to be trying the 300grn xtp this spring. Let me know what you have come up with for a load.

In my optima V2 what I have found is that it has a tight bore so your choice of sabots is going to be limited.
what I have found that works well in mine is 90 gr T7 3F is Barnes TEZ, Harverster Saber tooth, Harverster PT gold with the Crushrib sabots.

I would stay away from pellets and power belt poor performance on both.

Yes get some o rings and seal that primer it will help with accuracy If you don’t seal it then your going to get all that crap in your fire pin and then you going to have problems.

If you call Harverster Muzzleloader Allen will send you samples just tell him what you want to try.
https://www.harvestermuzzleloading.com/index.php
Good luck

One more reason to use loose powder: loose is aprox 10-15% more powerful than pellets.

100 gr of pellets is equal to 100 gr (volume) of real black powder.

100 gr of loose 777 is aprox equal to 110-115 gr (volume).

Another way to look at it: 90 gr of loose is equal to 100 gr of pellets.
Say what!!!

You lost me what powder are you talking about Goex, Pyrodex or T7?
Because something ain’t right.
T7 and Pyrodex is 2 different breeds.

Just like someone tells a person if you put 3 T7 pellets down a barrel that your shooting 150 grains equivalent when really your shooting 120 grains.

Please be more clear.
Thank you.

Loose 777 powder is aprox 15% more powerful than 777 pellets
My guess is, the pellets were designed for quick loading and reloading, but not necessarily for power.
He should use an "Over The Powder Wad." T7 Burns very hot and he may want to shield the projectile from the heat, whether it's a plastic sabot, belted, lead conical or PRB.
I found they need protected from the extra 300*F, or things melt, burn, deform or shred.

I was told it was to mimic as close as possible to real black. Also, you can pop 3 pellets down and be shooting “150 grains”.

However, if you try and shoot 150 grs of loose (by volume), you are exceeding safety limits in many guns.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back