Brand new smokeless (to me)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure why the gentleman I bought it from was using a sabot. I think he didn't have a sizing die, the builder But that's one of the reasons I'm going smokeless

The Omega with the McGowan barrel that I've been shooting posted several times on here about is more accurate with a sabot load, as a matter of fact it's more accurate with multiple sabot loads,, it shoots a half to three quarter inch with a bore rider,, it shoots less than a half inch around a quarter with three different sabot loads,,,, I'm a big fan of bullet size to bore but it's not always the best bullet for a smokeless gun! Perhaps the gentleman that was shooting the rifle you speaking of was very happy with his sabot load. If I'm shooting light to medium loads in a lighter weight lighter diameter barrel smokeless gun which makes more sense a 250-275 grain bullet size to fit the bore or a 225 grain - 250 grain 40 cal in the light blue ,,which has more BC and flies better at 2 and 300 yards and retains more energy?? And if my gun shoots them less than a half inch maybe that sabots not the weakest link always after all.

I'm not sure why the gentleman I bought it from was using a sabot. I think he didn't have a sizing die, the builder But that's one of the reasons I'm going smokeless
I sold one of my smokeless conversions to an older gentleman who did not want to deal with sizing bullets. You might want to keep a few sabots and loads on hand in case you run out of sized bullets.

Luke at Arrowhead Rifles sells smooth-sizing dies. If you want the best accuracy out of your rifle, you need to learn how to size bullets to fit your bore. Here is a hint. Gradually size the bullets down until they barely fit downs the bore. Be careful not to oversize them, or they will be useless unless you knurl them between a couple of files.

If that conversion was a 45-70 button rifle bergara barrel there's a likely chance that it's almost as accurate with a sabot as a bore rider. All of my cut rifle barrels absolutely shoot a bore rider better!! With my button rifle Wilson and button rifle Douglas it's 50/50 the Wilson barrel will easily take a 240 fury out to 400 yards and put it on your palm all day long in the light blue sabot,, it's a very accurate barrel with bore riders too. Same thing with the Douglas it's pretty much an even split... If your smokeless conversion or smokeless build has a button rifle barrel I wouldn't discount a sabot load until you've really spent some time working with them. I'm just basing my view on my experience ultimately with every rifle I shooting I want the most accurate load possible I don't settle for anything less but I also have consider practical hunting loads and applications too.

Apex were good rifles and had a larger OD barrel than the Scouts. I bet a Fury 240gr OT in .401 has a good chance of being a shooter. Well over .300 BC and an easy 2400fps will shoot flatter than a lot of heavier land riders shooting faster. I think Dennis claimed about .360 BC@2500fps which seems a little high but possible.

That's exactly where I would go with all of the break action converted rifles.

Sure would be more pleasant to shoot and easier on the rifles converted with Savage plugs. Both 4198 and Re7 should be able to get a 240gr sabot load into the 2500fps range with very low peak. Plus really good reliability.

Harvester light blue,,,try fury225 tipped and startip,, as well as 401ot 240gr.im shooting my light smokeless rifle this weekend with 56-57 gr of 4198, I would even try the 200 Hornady SST if you have any setting around,, not trying to talk you away from bore riders,, again I shoot a lot of them in a lot of rifles, you have a versatile rifle I would experiment with everything it's capable of if I were you.

Your rifle may shoot bullet to bore better,, it may surprise you how well it might do also with a harvester light blue try all options!!

The thing is....4198 is on the slow side for a 200gr. That is why guys that have tried heavier 40s in sabots are getting as much fps or more with the same amount of powder. Best thing about the Fury 240gr OT is its a bonded bullet and the sectional density is far better than the 200gr SST. They are not much more expensive than SSTs at todays prices.

200gr SST=.179 SD
240gr OT=.213 SD

.213 is roughly the same as a 45cal 300gr. So your chance of a pass thru is much better.

After all the recommendations I think I will order some fury bullets. I think I'm going to try .401 240gr with a light blue sabot also going to try the .452 250 grain and size them when my die gets here. If anyone has a couple fury bullets laying around there not using I would be more than willing to buy them and pay for shipping just to try some different weights

PM your address to me.
Man you guys have been more than helpful and now one of you is willing to send me bullets to test, you can't beat that. Now that I'm going to have a few different bullets to test out, how do you think I should stare step my powder charge to see what performs the best. I considered going in 2gr grain increments starting at 55gr and going up to 60gr, do you think that method would find the most accurate group?

Man you guys have been more than helpful and now one of you is willing to send me bullets to test, you can't beat that. Now that I'm going to have a few different bullets to test out, how do you think I should stare step my powder charge to see what performs the best. I considered going in 2gr grain increments starting at 55gr and going up to 60gr, do you think that method would find the most accurate group?
When I test (Satterlee), I do it by 1/2gr. I take each velocity and chart it in MS Excel and find the node.

Example:

Without charges listed.jpg

Back