Breech plug grease

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Whut dew yew DWBs use on breech plugs? Meaning tape or grease. I found out lithium grease does not work well on a knight bk92 lol. A buddy of my suggested TC's gorilla grease. Wut says u all?

Slick 50 lithium grease works for me. Don't believe it's made now though. I have only used 1/3 of tube in twenty years, easy cleanup too.
Correction: I went and looked. It's Teflon I believe, not lithium, doesn't really say.

Last edited:
I use knight breech plug grease on all my muzzleloaders. I screw them into the barrel till it stops by hand. I don't putt any torque on them. Never had a problem ever getting them out....ever

Doc told me what he does is once the plug is fully seated to back it off a smidge so it makes it easier to remove. Good or bad not sure, I have mixed thoughts.
For my way of thinking that would potentially give the plug a chance to have a running start at the threads, to build momentum if you will. I stand by the hand tight. A potential leak around where the plug meets the barrel could cause damage??????

My experience, I was having a problem with the striker hitting the primer on my mk-85. It's like the breech plug was in the barrel to deep or the plunger ran out of stroke. I talked to knight and they told me to back the breech plug out a half turn. Problem solved... I've shot that gun that way for years with no issues at all.

I use FelPro C5A anti seize. It uses both copper and graphite in suspension and is for very high heat applications. A little goes a very long way and I only put it on the first half inch of the breech plug. I only tighten my plugs down to snug. It's a finesse thing but I imagine an inch pound torque wrench would be best.

Whut dew yew DWBs use on breech plugs? Meaning tape or grease. I found out lithium grease does not work well on a knight bk92 lol. A buddy of my suggested TC's gorilla grease. Wut says u all?
You can use anything table butter margarine I don't care what you use clean the breach plug each time it'll come right out with your finger that's all

Latest posts

Back