Breech plug question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Don't need to know what BP is better than the other............ ;)

I'm asking those who DO NOT use any type of QR BP (finger type).

Has anyone ever actually checked the torque when you tighten your breech plug?

I don't. See no need to. When clean, a snug "bottom out" fit is all I look for.

A properly fitting breech plug80-100 in lbs would be plenty or 10 ft lbs

ENCORE50A said:
Grouse said:
On the bolt action Knight Rifles it not about torque. Its about marring the breech plug with the wall of the barrel.
So you've never checked it?

No, and I'll tell you why. Torque could be very inaccurate way to measure. If for some reason the barrel threads were not cleaned good and blow back got in between your breech plug or even tape/grease and barrel shelf the plug would stop on it and the torque would be right but wrong. I always do a visual with a flash light and no torque with a bolt gun. And I tighten my plugs tight.

I'm quite sure I hand tighten my breech plugs to at least 10 ft lbs just making them snug using a factory tool and allen wrench.

bestill said:
A properly fitting breech plug80-100 in lbs would be plenty or 10 ft lbs

Best answer yet ;)

Have you ever checked yours when seating it? It would surprise me if most were tightening that high. Unless one using equipment, its nothing more than a WAG.

Grouse said:
ENCORE50A said:
Grouse said:
On the bolt action Knight Rifles it not about torque. Its about marring the breech plug with the wall of the barrel.
So you've never checked it?

No, and I'll tell you why. Torque could be very inaccurate way to measure. If for some reason the barrel threads were not cleaned good and blow back got in between your breech plug or even tape/grease and barrel shelf the plug would stop on it and the torque would be right but wrong. I always do a visual with a flash light and no torque with a bolt gun. And I tighten my plugs tight.

Assuming that I have some kind of clue how torque works, the question was, have you torqued your plug and if so, what amount of torque did you apply?

How can anyone know what is right or wrong? If it was important the manufacturers would have a recommended torque setting.

ENCORE50A said:
WTM45 said:
I'm quite sure I hand tighten my breech plugs to at least 10 ft lbs just making them snug using a factory tool and allen wrench.

I'll bet you a bottle of soda that you aren't even close ;)

Don't drink the stuff, but the spark plugs and various bolts and nuts I have stripped with my "ham hands" are a testament to my lack of finesse! :mrgreen:

I'm curious as to your question, as I think you are holding back something to share regarding bp torque! I am intrigued!

Muley Hunter said:
How can anyone know what is right or wrong? If it was important the manufacturers would have a recommended torque setting.

Muley, it isn't a case of right or wrong. It was a simple question that I was hoping someone could answer. Bestill has the right idea.

WTM45 said:
ENCORE50A said:
WTM45 said:

I'll bet you a bottle of soda that you aren't even close ;)

Don't drink the stuff, but the spark plugs and various bolts and nuts I have stripped with my "ham hands" are a testament to my lack of finesse! :mrgreen:

I'm curious as to your question, as I think you are holding back something to share regarding bp torque! I am intrigued!

Well I could have said Brandy, but I'd have had to drink it with you :partyman:

The question? Just looking for someone that knows :poke:

I never used a torque wrench, but being an auto mechanic for the first part of my working career I have a feel for torque. I'd guess around 30lbs.

It always took more torque to remove due to sticking.

Muley Hunter said:
I never used a torque wrench, but being an auto mechanic for the first part of my working career I have a feel for torque. I'd guess around 30lbs.

It always took more torque to remove due to sticking.

I assume you're talking inch pounds.......?

No, i'm talking foot pounds. I'm talking about an Omega, and I used a 1/2" ratchet on an extension. It doesn't take much tension to get 30lbs.

When you look at the size of the BP and compare it to a bolt that size. It's a big bolt. 30lbs would be a very light torque for a bolt that size.

Muley Hunter said:
No, i'm talking foot pounds. I'm talking about an Omega, and I used a 1/2" ratchet on an extension. It doesn't take much tension to get 30lbs.

When you look at the size of the BP and compare it to a bolt that size. It's a big bolt. 30lbs would be a very light torque for a bolt that size.

:shock: No wonder you had a hard time getting it out. That's actually excessive IMO. Even the Remington Ultimate only has a torque of 80 inch pounds, which is only 6.67 foot pounds, and that handles much heavier loads than a production Omega.

I didn't have a hard time removing it. I said it was more from some sticking. It was still just a quick rap on the handle. Better a bit too tight than too loose.

What's your motive for asking this? Do you have some new info on it?

Latest posts

Back