Breech plug wrench Mossberg 500 ML barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Folks, I have a Mossberg Muzzleloader Barrel for the Mossberg 500 and Maverick shotguns.

I bought it used an I don't have the breech plug wrench. Mossberg does not sell them and will not supply me with the drawing. I've checked a few sources of old Mossberg parts and they say they had them, but have sold or given them away.

Do any of you have one of these wrenches you could post a bunch of pictures of? Particularly the business end?

I have a machinist willing to help me make one, but I really don't know where to start drawing it up.

Can anyone help?

It looks like the primer end of the bp has a slot for the primer ejector so it was probably made to remove.

It looks like the primer end of the bp has a slot for the primer ejector so it was probably made to remove.
Mine is used, and doesn't have the ejector. I don't know exactly what it is supposed to look like. I have to use a small screw driver to pop the primer out.

I'm going to be honest, it really dirties up the action and bolt face of the shotgun. It's quite a task to disassemble, clean and then reassemble the firearm after shooting. It's mostly a novelty for my collection of mossberg shotgun stuff. I've been shooting a purpose built, 2002 Traditions Tracker 209 with a scope and it's really satisfying to shoot. I just stocked up on shooting supplies (waiting on orders) and can't wait to get back to the range with it. It's much simpler to disassemble and clean.

I almost bought that muzzy barrel for my Mossberg 500 I had years ago but I figured it would be dirty so I didn’t.

Mine is used, and doesn't have the ejector. I don't know exactly what it is supposed to look like. I have to use a small screw driver to pop the primer out.
I think that ejector was the best thing about those barrels. Not having it might even make that dirty girl even dirtier.

Here is a partial screen shot from the instructions. It looks to screw out. View attachment 24464
It looks like from that drawing the plug should come out Maken a wrench would be simple but you'd need a caliper .1you need to know how deep that channel is in the breech plug .2 how long the channel is .3 how wide the channel is .4 I would take the caliper and measure one of the primers that came out after you take it out cause that would give you the primer hole diameter. Make the tool like a key that can fit in the primer hole and the channel at the same time that way when you have pressure on the tool it will also have a way to keep it centered .I would also use the caliper to measure from the face of the plug to the rear tang of the barrel all that part I would have made round after the tang id have the too made to fit the head of a socket wrench, or you could have it made like a vise where the handle slides through ask if can make out of some 4140 steel that a common steel we use it alot at the place I work for .

Thanks for the reply. What the machinist up at work suggested is to make a casting from one of the moldable plastics and the make the measurements off of that. He seems to think it would be pretty easy, but I was hoping to find a picture of what the tool from Mossberg, if in fact it actually exists, looks like.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the reply. I'm very new to muzzleloaders. I was kind of under the impression all breech plugs needed to come out to facilitate cleaning. If it's a waste of time, I won't bother trying to take it out. Again, thanks for the reply.

Thanks for the reply. I'm very new to muzzleloaders. I was kind of under the impression all breech plugs needed to come out to facilitate cleaning. If it's a waste of time, I won't bother trying to take it out. Again, thanks for the reply.
Also, I don't like the extra dirt if imparts on my shotgun. It's quite a task to clean. It's much easier to clean my dedicated muzzleloader. It's much simpler of a firearm. I think I'm going to stick with the dedicated muzzleloader for my recreational black powder shooting. You all have been so awesome with your responses and advice.

Not all are meant to be removed, sidelocks come to mind. You can clean that barrel easily. Take the barrel off the action and put the breech plug end in a bucket of soapy water and use a cleaning jag, mop or brush and pump the water in and out of the barrel through the bp vent hole. Then dry and oil and put the muzzle down on a rag for a day so it doesn’t leak into the bp and don’t forget to clean the vent hole before shooting.

Also, I don't like the extra dirt if imparts on my shotgun. It's quite a task to clean. It's much easier to clean my dedicated muzzleloader. It's much simpler of a firearm. I think I'm going to stick with the dedicated muzzleloader for my recreational black powder shooting. You all have been so awesome with your responses and advice.
I almost wrote to stick with your traditions for the same reason. Your post slipped through before mine without me seeing it.

Got a feeling like a few CVA`s I have had and seen, which were percussion only the nipple was removable, here this instance is 209 I do not think these were removable. But I am no engineer. Once set I believe was just a simple hot water rinse, I am basing off the photo supplied and my brief knowledge of SIMILAR CVA products.

Latest posts

Back