Breech PLug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out of curiosity, does any body have any photos of groups before and after changing a worn out plug? My flash holes are between .045 and .055 in diameter on two of my plugs I've checked so far. Be interesting to see the difference in accuracy, all other factors being equal except the plugs.

Working on modification to one of my plugs now, hopefully have it ready for Saturday and maybe I can post a couple targets... This will have six flats milled to the outside for a 1/2" deep socket to remove the plug and a standard nipple wrench should get onto the nipple. It's made of 416 stainless and the nipple is off of my Renegade.

I know this is copycatting Bestill, and for that I apologize, it's just, I have all the equipment to make almost anything, and hate to pay for something I love to make.

I built a $400 reloading press for only $2000 (if you count labor lol) for my .416 Barrett. My $160 bullet molds only cost about $500. All my machines are manual and this old guy holding the breech plug has no DRO installed so everything is done with dial indicators, slow, slow process, but man oh man, do I love doing it...breech plug mod.png

Be nice if 209 plug would be offered

At one time Doc offered two different versions of a 209 plug and 209 hammer. I can not remember if I still have them or not.

These are the 209's that I have from previous Whites

White-209-BP-s.jpg

Last edited:
Both of the ones I have for sale are like the first three with the springs on them, you need the 209 striker too of course.

20191210_182738_HDR.jpg got mine yesterday, put it in my WhiteLightning. Really nice looking. So glad i won't have to worry about plugs anymore. I got 2 Trēso nipples with it so probably set for life.

I think the new bestill breechplug is great. Problem is, I already have three with ventliners, two that Ron did and one I did myself after a minimum investment in taps, and a 3/8 countersink. They work flawlessly. If the nipple is a little large for the caps, (which has been mentioned before), it is a simple matter to make it a tiny bit smaller.

15761096896804164545736348104104.jpg Fired a half dozen caps in my new plug just now. Works fine. Comes out of the plug without having to remove the bolt first. Nice cuz you have to remove bolt to remove plug assembly. Or nipple and then plug. Not that it takes more than a second to disassemble, but if i had to change one in the field i can do it without losing parts in the grass.

View attachment 6587 Fired a half dozen caps in my new plug just now. Works fine. Comes out of the plug without having to remove the bolt first. Nice cuz you have to remove bolt to remove plug assembly. Or nipple and then plug. Not that it takes more than a second to disassemble, but if i had to change one in the field i can do it without losing parts in the grass.
Thats really nice muzzy !!! I like those lehigh nipples too mentioned earlier . When you finally wear out those tresco jobs id look into them !!!

Latest posts

Back