Breech plug???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If there is then the inside barrel shoulder is also flame cut. Just a heads up so you don't ruin a new plug.

Ok my old plug is definitely wore out at .035

a .037 won’t slide through it but the 60-61 cleaner passes through easily. Hopefully tomorrow I’ll be able to shoot this Encore and see what happens.

Attachments

• E77C1328-35C2-413D-9222-67908A155F25.jpeg
    E77C1328-35C2-413D-9222-67908A155F25.jpeg
    21.3 KB · Views: 7
You do realize that the vent liner comes out of the breech plug with a Hex wrench... And a new one costs $5.20?

Ok my old plug is definitely wore out at .035

No, just the vent liner is worn out. A small hex fits in that hole and takes a minute to replace it. Add a tiny bit of antiseize to the threads on the new vent liner.

You also need to clean your flash channel occasionally with a drill bit. The Savage plug channel is just a little over 1/8". Use a 1/8 first if a 5/32 or #21 is hard to get started. Carbon in the channel can get extremely hard if you dont stay up on it. Hex head drill bits are easier to use BTW. The hex bit should fit a nut driver handle or screwdriver with interchangeable bits.
ejGIRDN.jpg

Last edited:
Forgot to mention this.

Since you got a new bushing plug. The primer pocket might be really tight unless you asked Luke to polish it out for a specific 209.

When using a bushing plug DONT take out the bushing. Just remove the locking collar when cleaning. Clean it up and apply fresh antiseize. Re-install the collar but not super tight. The TC bushings are press fit and you will more than likely destroy it if you try to remove it. Just leave it in there until its worn out or cracked. They last a long time with "book loads".

You do realize that the vent liner comes out of the breech plug with a Hex wrench... And a new one costs $5.20?
nope didn't know that.. no biggie tho
reckon I can get the old one a new vent liner

but with this one I bought from Arrowhead I really won't need it for a long time

Forgot to mention this.

Since you got a new bushing plug. The primer pocket might be really tight unless you asked Luke to polish it out for a specific 209.

When using a bushing plug DONT take out the bushing. Just remove the locking collar when cleaning. Clean it up and apply fresh antiseize. Re-install the collar but not super tight. The TC bushings are press fit and you will more than likely destroy it if you try to remove it. Just leave it in there until its worn out or cracked. They last a long time with "book loads".
right on
thanks for the info!

MLII plugs dont seal on the nose of the primer. They seal on the side. There is no shelf for the nose to seal against. Just a very tiny lip you can shim if you really wanted. Even a brand new OEM Savage plug needed minor polishing to get my primers to fit. Go very slowly and test for fit A LOT. You dont want it too tight or the bolt will wear faster. Too loose and they leak badly but at least you can use a larger OD 209 if that happens.

I would go with a Win209 for fitting. Switch to a Fed209A and see if it fits after getting the Win209 to fit nice. The Fed209 should be a little tighter. Ive had no issues getting with either primer to ignite N110, SR4759, 5744 or Reloder7. Had one FTF with N120 and non MAG primers but all those shots were with a vent liner plug. A bushing plug should provide a tiny bit more fire to the powder. Flame path should be a little shorter.

Just wanted to say thank you all for your insight and help on my Encore sml
This is a great group and I will be talking about this site on my website gobblernation.com

finally after shooting this new breech I had close to 25 shots and used the bit to clean what carbon may have built up. Wasn’t bad. Did one shot cold at 115 yards in this hurricane induced wind and unseasonably warm 82 degree weather. Shot at a 1” stick on target and drilled it. Done for today as the sabots will just shoot horribly if I do a 5 shot group this warm. My son shot his rifle hence the holes above my target.

Attachments

• 9827A6D2-DF06-4E02-8BC6-421805D58EC7.jpeg
    9827A6D2-DF06-4E02-8BC6-421805D58EC7.jpeg
    108.5 KB · Views: 6
Back