Broke down and Bought a CVA Wolf

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave19113

Reaction score
I have been shooting my CVA Optima and TC Encore now for a few years with great success. I dont shoot the hottest load, 70 grs of BH 209 over a green Harvester Crush rib and a 300 gr Missouri pinbuster hard cast. At 100 yards I can regularly shoot 1" 3 shot at 100 yards and more often than not get sub minute with letting barrel cool between shots.

Even though I had two great shooting ML's I kept seeing the CVA Wolf at Walmart. Well last week they had it marked down from 169.00 to 159.00 so I figured why not. I ordered a new plug for the BH209 but other than that Im good to go. After sighting in I took it out to 100yds and was able to shoot right at 100 yd 3 shot groups.

I hunt the eastern woods so shots over 100 yds are uncommon, with 50-75 more the norm. Now Id love to buy a Knight Mountaineer or Disc but cant justify the extra $$.

Id like to hear feed back from the Eastern woods hunters. Is buying a higher end ML only really needed if you want the nicer woods/polymers or shooting at really extended ranges? Or can I not expect to get a long life out of the more budget priced ML's even having them well kept?

Where in Eastern woods are you? I'm in western VA.

I don't see the need for any other rifle than what you already have...If it kills deer what else can you ask for?

toytruck said:

I don't see the need for any other rifle than what you already have...If it kills deer what else can you ask for?

Im in Stafford, I hunt Quantico , CF Phelps and take some trips to MD here and there.

1874sharpsshooter said:
toytruck said:

There is always a need for more :)

Lol so true.... I was just interested to hear what people's thoughts are on what draw backs going with the more affordable priced Ml's

There is never a need for another Muzzy just the irresistible urge.

At the ranges you mentioned you will be fine.
I think it is all in what a guy wants to carry.
I designed the hunter bolt kit for the 700ml's because I really liked the 20" barreled model to hunt with and shoot.
I have had a savage, too heavy for me, still have an apex and a couple rugers but when I go hunting I always grab one of the 700ml's
The rugers and the apex really pull up nice and feel great but almost always get left behind
To be fair the 700's I use most are smokeless in 40 and 45 cal so not really comparing apples to apples, but they are my preference.

Not sure why you think the Wolf won't shoot long distance? It's the same trigger and barrel made by Bergara as the higher end CVA's.

Hand a Wolf to Carlos and he'll shoot small groups at 300yds with it.

Muley Hunter said:
Not sure why you think the Wolf won't shoot long distance? It's the same trigger and barrel made by Bergara as the higher end CVA's.

Hand a Wolf to Carlos and he'll shoot small groups at 300yds with it.

Not meant to say that it cant, just that its more tailored to a lighter woods gun. For what Im using it for long shots are the exception not the rule

Its like my savage ultra light 308 with a 22" pencil barrel, I can shoot sub minute out to 400 yards, My custom hart built 308 can do the same thing, just alot better more consitently and its geared more for long range.

The Hart has a custom bench rest stock the savage doesnt along with alot of other bells a whistles. Same principle with the wolf vs a Knight

My question was what have people that have actually owned one had any problems going down the road

No problems really. I've owned 3 and have another one delivered tomorrow. Yes, in this case it will be a brush bear gun with heavy conicals. However, it will do anything the CVA MR or V2 will do if you like longer shots.

Muley Hunter said:
No problems really. I've owned 3 and have another one delivered tomorrow. Yes, in this case it will be a brush bear gun with heavy conicals. However, it will do anything the CVA MR or V2 will do if you like longer shots.

Much thanks.... :D

My Nephew has one of the older CVA Wolf rifles. It needs the tool to get the plug out. He has shot deer at 160 and 175 yards with Hornady 300 grain XTP's. Both 1 shot harvests.

ShawnT said:
My Nephew has one of the older CVA Wolf rifles. It needs the tool to get the plug out. He has shot deer at 160 and 175 yards with Hornady 300 grain XTP's. Both 1 shot harvests.

Yea, Im still amazed at how accurate this ML is compared to the price point. The trigger is as good as my Optima. Its nice to not have to do a trigger job like on most new guns you buy.

It should be. All CVA triggers are the same. The only difference is the Accura's are adjustable. As are the barrels. With the only difference is the Accura's get some extra polishing. Something you can do with JB or just shooting.

Was able to get out today to do some shooting with the Wolf, as well as let a friend shoot it who was looking to get into ML hunting.

Decided to run it over the chrono, It was shooting an honest 1440 fps with the Missouri Pinbuster 300gr .430 in a Harvester crush rib sabot over 70 grs of BH 209 and federal primers.

Its definitely not a barn burner by any means but its so accurate. Ive used this bullet in my 44 mag pistols as well as carbines on deer without a problem. Gives me right at 1000 foot pounds at 100 yards.

The sabots are all dropping off at 15 yards approx. The pedals on all the sabots look identical so Im guessing thats a good thing.

Now to just wait til ML season to put it to work.

I plan on taking it out to longer distances just to see what potential it has in the future. Hopefully when it cools down a little.

My Wolf is ready for the bear hunt starting this Sat. I was going to use the 460gr NoExcuses, but they fit way too loose. They were close to just falling down the bore. I guess I didn't get one of the tight bore CVA's.

I'll get flak for this, but I decided to go with a 348gr Powerbelt with 80gr of real BP. At close range I feel it will bust up a black bear. I feel Powerbelt failures come from too much powder. I'm hoping my load will be right and penetrate without over-expanding. I'm betting my old bones on it.

Muley Hunter said:
My Wolf is ready for the bear hunt starting this Sat. I was going to use the 460gr NoExcuses, but they fit way too loose. They were close to just falling down the bore. I guess I didn't get one of the tight bore CVA's.

I'll get flak for this, but I decided to go with a 348gr Powerbelt with 80gr of real BP. At close range I feel it will bust up a black bear. I feel Powerbelt failures come from too much powder. I'm hoping my load will be right and penetrate without over-expanding. I'm betting my old bones on it.

Good luck to ya on your hunt.....

I tried powerbelts a few years back but didnt have too much success, but in truth I didn't really put alot of time in them before moving on to sabots.

My bore feels a little stiff, not really tight but definitely more firm then my Optima with the crush rib sabots.

Back