Broke in the super safari today

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shorty

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Supporting member
Reaction score
The bore seems a little large according to the .50 cal sizing pack from no excuses. The largest being .504” was almost to easy as it slid down the clean bore by itself..so for the first shot i used a wrap of teflon tape. Then i shot 5 shots at 25 yds. With 90 grs. Pyrodex V, and 420 gr. No excuses., 1075 noble caps. Wow that was fun. Pretty good group, in pic. Then for fun i shot 5 more @100yds., then 5 at 100 grs @ 100 yds, then 5 @ 110 grs @ 100 yds, finally 5 more @ 120 grs @ 100yds. Really got the feel of the gun, reminded me of a 20 gauge shotgun slug recoil. Could not see the gong very good at 100 yds though as front bead seems to cover it up. That coupled with blurry sight picture. Got a lyman sme coming for it and got to get a globe sight for the front. I am hoping that will fix alot of it..love the gun so far it will definitely shoot better than i can see with iron sights.. clean up really nice also with that map cleaner and kroil oil..4C021A0E-9593-428E-BBC9-E8D2A42FDEDD.jpegCFF6409F-04CD-453F-82CD-C5EE66021047.jpegBE37B95B-6AD0-4B16-9B5C-8C2B0D0541BB.jpeg

I was not that bad, i would rate it at a 20 gauge shotgun with a slug..the reason i did not do the squibb was when hunting i would not feel comfortable leaving the barrel dirty for a day or two..ty shorty
Your doing it right using a teflon wrap for the first shot instead of a squibb load! I have killed many deer using that method, no reason to hunt on a dirty bore! Great shooting with open sights!!

If you are order your bullets from either Bullshop or NoExcuses, tell them you want the bullets sized to 504.5
Ok thank you. I did not know that, as all i seen were the .504”. Thats what i was shooting the no excuses..i also think i will look into the paper patching..🙂🙂

Ok thank you. I did not know that, as all i seen were the .504”. Thats what i was shooting the no excuses..i also think i will look into the paper patching..🙂🙂

As far as I know, I don't think No Excuses offers custom sizing on their bullet. Just sizes .500-.504 with the 50 cal bullets. Bullshop does offer custom sizing though and will work with you to find the right size for your bore, according to their website. I think their 50 conicals start at 460 grains. I would go that route if you feel the No Excuses bullets are still too loose in your bore.
Also try a .54 wool wad under the bullet and 70-80 grains by volume
pyrodex and your White should shoot
real good at 100 yards.

Real good shooting for the first time out though. Really like your gun. A White muzzleloader is on my list for
guns to buy in the near future. :)

So how was your group at 100 ? iv'e built and shot many super safaris but only have one left it's a .504 as well. i would knock down that charge unless your planning on really reaching out there i'm shooting 600 grain custom (mine) super slugs and it will shoot a cloverleaf out to 100 yards all day these barrels really like the heavy slugs but if you don't need that big of a charge i would stay in the 85-100 range depending on slug weight. Have you taken the gun out of stock and checked out how everything fits ? i have both a scope and open sights on my whites so you can work up your loads then remove scope and set up your open sights toggle between them depending on the situation or hunting laws that's a nice advantage of quick release scope rings and the lyman peep sights. i'm not sure i noticed where you got your rifle ?

So how was your group at 100 ? iv'e built and shot many super safaris but only have one left it's a .504 as well. i would knock down that charge unless your planning on really reaching out there i'm shooting 600 grain custom (mine) super slugs and it will shoot a cloverleaf out to 100 yards all day these barrels really like the heavy slugs but if you don't need that big of a charge i would stay in the 85-100 range depending on slug weight. Have you taken the gun out of stock and checked out how everything fits ? i have both a scope and open sights on my whites so you can work up your loads then remove scope and set up your open sights toggle between them depending on the situation or hunting laws that's a nice advantage of quick release scope rings and the lyman peep sights. i'm not sure i noticed where you got your rifle ?
When i shot it at 100 yds. The sights covered the whole 13”gong. So i just played around with different powder weights getting to know the feel of the rifle..i was hitting it 4 out if 5 shots. Not good so i am getting some different iron sights, a lyman 57sme and a hi viss fiber optic for the front. I also plan to go the route you described for the scope with removable rings. And yes i think the 90 grs of pyrodex p, with the no excuse 420s is going ti be my go to for now..after the range session i tore it completely down, cleaned and oiled it. That way i know the gun inside and out. I bought it off of Flounder here, Art has been a stand up kind of guy to deal with..

When i shot it at 100 yds. The sights covered the whole 13”gong. So i just played around with different powder weights getting to know the feel of the rifle..i was hitting it 4 out if 5 shots. Not good so i am getting some different iron sights, a lyman 57sme and a hi viss fiber optic for the front. I also plan to go the route you described for the scope with removable rings. And yes i think the 90 grs of pyrodex p, with the no excuse 420s is going ti be my go to for now..after the range session i tore it completely down, cleaned and oiled it. That way i know the gun inside and out. I bought it off of Flounder here, Art has been a stand up kind of guy to deal with..
Sounds good you plan on deer hunting with it ?

Back