broken stock

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Currently working on a Harrington and Richardson 402 stock which cracked just behind the receiver. Not enough room for a substantial threaded wood rod for a vertical fix so I used small cut-off wood screws instead. Holes were drilled from bottom up so the fix will be mostly invisible.

I have two Encores in which BOTH cracked. I have repaired them but only have a ready photo of one of them:

DSCN2120a.jpg

After 18 years of hard hunting, under brutal conditions, my thompson new englander stock cracked clear through at the wrist. When I tried to buy just the stock, Thompson assured me that their warranty was forever and that if I sent them the pieces they'd give me a new one. Alas, that was the year the stock factory burnt down and they replaced the stock with an Omega (which I didn't like).

repairing mine with Acraglas and a threaded rod. there is room to drill a hole from the trigger guard to under the tang and fill with a steel thread rod and Acraglas.
I should do this with my White Mountain. I shoot a TC conical out of it and always worry.
Then refinish the stock and maybe that heartsick feeling whenever I see it will go away!

Back