Buck skull

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Theyre are very dry and porous so they ought to absorb at least a little, thinned out, polyester resin. Just a light coat of a clear non yellowing type. Might make it more tough like fiberglass. Ive got a few deer skulls hanging on the shed and might experiment with one to see what happens.

My thought- polyester resin by itself is pretty brittle. When I was young, I built a woodstrip canoe, and sheathed it in fiberglass cloth. I poured the leftover polyester resin in an empty soup can, and let it cure. I thought it would make a good/tough target for a .38 reload… I was wrong- it shattered, turning to dust, on the first shot! 😂

Thinned epoxy (like an epoxy glue?) might be stronger, I don’t know. They make epoxy resin for fiberglass work, that I believe is stronger than polyester resin, in fiberglass work.

I don’t know how an epoxy adhesive compares to an epoxy “resin,” or if they might be the same thing(?).

I’m happy to sit back at learn from others’ experiences! 🤠

My thought- polyester resin by itself is pretty brittle. When I was young, I built a woodstrip canoe, and sheathed it in fiberglass cloth. I poured the leftover polyester resin in an empty soup can, and let it cure. I thought it would make a good/tough target for a .38 reload… I was wrong- it shattered, turning to dust, on the first shot! 😂

Thinned epoxy (like an epoxy glue?) might be stronger, I don’t know. They make epoxy resin for fiberglass work, that I believe is stronger than polyester resin, in fiberglass work.

I don’t know how an epoxy adhesive compares to an epoxy “resin,” or if they might be the same thing(?).

I’m happy to sit back at learn from others’ experiences! 🤠
Im hoping the porous bone will absorb some thinned resin the same way that fiberglass cloth does. We’ll see. Maybe nothing will come of it.

The skull I Found has some loose teeth and bones. Any thoughts on keeping those in place? Super glue or White glue?
I would use a 2-part clear epoxy to glue in the teeth. However, Super Glue should also work.

You can also get concentrated Hydrogen Peroxide at places which sell pool supplies. You need to wear safety glasses and rubber gloves when using the stuff, because it will burn your eyes and skin.

Back