Bucket list hunt, whats yours?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me a Grizzly hunt is the dream of all dreams. I guess second would be a Northern Saskatchewan whitetail hunt.
i did the northern saskatchewan hunt many moons ago, (1999 or so) ,,, its a tremendous pia getting out of saskatoon (then anyway) people lined up the night before for next day flights in that little airport.. I saw a few big bodied bucks but nothing worth shooting, same with all my camp buddies... The photo's the guide sent was a bit deceptive,,, he had killed these giant bucks in the southern zone, where only residents were allowed to hunt! If you go,, try to go on the southern area native american reservation hunts... the agriculture keeps the racks big & plenty of em to shoot!! the northern forest zone is a giant pine forest/thicket ... there are bucks,, but wolves put a hurting on deer where we went.. one hunter a couple weeks before us watched a big buck be caught, killed & eaten from his stand.. (non residents weren't allowed to shoot wolves then anyway)..,, my dream hunt (then) turned out to be a disappointment.. though it was still a cool trip,, saw the northern lights ect... but i wouldn't go back there to hunt deer... yet,, many on the plane ride back to usa had taken some huge bucks.. (heavy body anyway, up to 300lbs) you might get a good hunt with a huge ton of research still yet... call many references,, (i just called 3 or 4) nothing really impressive was actually killed on this concession at least in the few yrs before we went... Bears were a different story.(spring) though i never wanted to hunt bear. ..

I would love to go on a Moose hunt; Maine or Alaska. I would have to get in better shape physically though, LOL. It's hard enough traipsing over the mountains in Rumford, ME in the snow without getting winded. I would never last on some of the Alaskan hunts I've read about, LOL.

It would be fun to hunt Turkey or hogs but I don't like Turkey and I can't eat pork so that will never happen. It's just a personal thing; I won't kill something I'm not going to eat. Every life is valuable; even an animal's. I can't give it back so I won't take it.

Not every life is valuable. I do crop loss prevention for local farms. Rock Chucks destroy an incredible number of crops. Here in Idaho many ground dwelling animals like ground squirrels and Chucks are known to carry bubonic plague. I've killed over 1900 of them in 6 years. They are filthy animals. This field was destroyed by them. I take pictures of the kills so I'm paid.

Attachments

• 20200627_091341.jpg
    20200627_091341.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
Not every life is valuable. I do crop loss prevention for local farms. Rock Chucks destroy an incredible number of crops. Here in Idaho many ground dwelling animals like ground squirrels and Chucks are known to carry bubonic plague. I've killed over 1900 of them in 6 years. They are filthy animals. This field was destroyed by them. I take pictures of the kills so I'm paid.
Never heard of rock chucks. What’s the hunting setup?

Never heard of rock chucks. What’s the hunting setup?

Rock Chucks are much like ground hogs. They live in huge colonies. Some number into the hundreds. They eat crops and destroy canals.
A number of idaho cities are being overrun by them. No hunting laws have allowed the population of these marmots to explode.
I'm hired by farmers and small land owners to control their population.
I carry several rifles on most days. I normally have my Air Arms TX200 22 cal Air rifle. Either my 17HMR or my 22lr. The 22lr has a suppressor. The last gun I normally use is a CZ 527 in 17 Hornet. I've been doing this long enough that the farmers allow me to use my discretion on guns used.
Some small acreage owners only want Air rifle.
My single biggest day was 60. I'm over 1900 animals removed from farms in the last 6 years. I use a blind, or camouflage, or I shoot out of my truck.
Some orchards have me shoot fox squirrels and collard doves. One farmer hired me to get rid of a fox.
I have more people needing my help than I can cover most years.

Attachments

• 20230426_161620.jpg
    20230426_161620.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230426_162254.jpg
    20230426_162254.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230429_105704.jpg
    20230429_105704.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220603_210415.jpg
    20220603_210415.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220506_093339.jpg
    20220506_093339.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210522_180154.jpg
    20210522_180154.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210522_175104.jpg
    20210522_175104.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200417_203249.jpg
    20200417_203249.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200419_191049.jpg
    20200419_191049.jpg
    384.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200425_161538.jpg
    20200425_161538.jpg
    8.3 MB · Views: 0
Rock Chucks are much like ground hogs. They live in huge colonies. Some number into the hundreds. They eat crops and destroy canals.
A number of idaho cities are being overrun by them. No hunting laws have allowed the population of these marmots to explode.
I'm hired by farmers and small land owners to control their population.
I carry several rifles on most days. I normally have my Air Arms TX200 22 cal Air rifle. Either my 17HMR or my 22lr. The 22lr has a suppressor. The last gun I normally use is a CZ 527 in 17 Hornet. I've been doing this long enough that the farmers allow me to use my discretion on guns used.
Some small acreage owners only want Air rifle.
My single biggest day was 60. I'm over 1900 animals removed from farms in the last 6 years. I use a blind, or camouflage, or I shoot out of my truck.
Some orchards have me shoot fox squirrels and collard doves. One farmer hired me to get rid of a fox.
I have more people needing my help than I can cover most years.

Love it. I want to see what my Patriot .45 does to a woodchuck using the 200 grain .40 XTP, smokeless at a charge of 56 grains of IMR4198. Or a raven.... they're all over at the cabin.

I have lots of pipe dream hunts.
My realistic dream hunt right now? I'd have to go with free range axis deer with a muzzleloader.
Really anything not available in Virginia would be an adventure.
Thats attainable on the island of Lanai state muzzleloader public hunt.

Rusa deer in New Caledonia would be a bucket list hunt for me.
That was the go to for us Aussies until about a decade ago. We have 6 species of deer here and New Cal was always considered an acceptable place for those to attain rusa for the Aussie deer slam.
Overhunting of Trophy animals and government culling really did a number on the population. Now you're paying 2-3 times the price of what you were 10 years ago and instead of 40" heads, they're more like 32".
I passed up on an opportunity to hunt them at $2500usd in 2013, not kicking myself because finances didn't allow it but would have been nice. I've been sitting on 5 of the aussie 6 since 2015 with rusa still to go.

I believe Mauritius has some really good heads and hunting. And the current price of New Cal makes it not unrealistic.

My brother and I are trying to get onto a semi guided hunt in July here in Aus. Not holding my breath but hoping we can put it together.

Is that a hard tag to draw? What's really BP like to access in Hawaii?
The MZ tag is not difficult to draw. A big plus on that hunt is you know exact hunt hunt dates even before the drawing. It’s just a matter of getting picked or not. BP and primers can be shipped over on the boats, you are just not allowed to fly with it. The last few years have really took a toll on the deer herds due to lots of rifle hunting in the same area. There is also a population of Muflon Sheep in the same area.

The MZ tag is not difficult to draw. A big plus on that hunt is you know exact hunt hunt dates even before the drawing. It’s just a matter of getting picked or not. BP and primers can be shipped over on the boats, you are just not allowed to fly with it. The last few years have really took a toll on the deer herds due to lots of rifle hunting in the same area. There is also a population of Muflon Sheep in the same area.
Good thing about flintlocks is I don’t need to worry about caps anymore. But I can’t get away with synthetic powders either now so has to be real black or she don’t go bang!

Best thing would be if you could get a muzzleloader here. Muzzloaders are not considered firearms here, so no registration or firearms acquisition permit is required. Don’t know how US or AU customs feel about that. You may want to check into that before traveling.

Best thing would be if you could get a muzzleloader here. Muzzloaders are not considered firearms here, so no registration or firearms acquisition permit is required. Don’t know how US or AU customs feel about that. You may want to check into that before traveling.
I think the US media likes spread misinformation by using us as an example of gun control to the extreme. It’s still easy to have guns here and I’ve travelled with them internationally a few times without issue.

Interestingly, I was trying to buy some projectiles from an old forum member IdahoLewis here a while back. In the end it was the US side that wouldn’t let it happen easily, Aus just required a form. Go figure!

I’ve been blessed to hunt many awesome places and take a lot of big game. Stone sheep would make a slam for me but at today’s prices not likely unless I win a hunt 🤩! Did a Dall before costs went out the roof and double blessed in draws for a CO Rocky and NV Desert. If I ever hunt out of country again would like to hunt water buffalo in Arnhem land just to see the Northern Territory of Australia. Fortunate to take some nice elk but would love to get one giant!
Called in turkeys for my six and four year old grandsons this spring and that filled a pretty big bucket! The oldest missed but on another trip the four year old got a 10” beard gobbler. Three generations of us. Priceless!

Mine is in Alberta Canada with my old school SA-22, my pal of mine has been there and he said he saw one big Elk.
Also I have a bucket list of rifles I want to collect, browsed the list here, right now I have SA22 and FN Model 1949.
I love collecting old schools rifle, that's my bucket list!!

Bucket list hunt? How about I gather up 2 million followers on my "hunting channel" on YouTube, and from the proceeds of my instant internet fame, I buy up a year's worth of licenses from around the globe along with every hunting implement I can find from spears to rocket launchers. I would then proceed to hunt everywhere all the time and have someone else pay for everything. I could expand to hunting/fishing/trapping.

Rocket launcher? Well, the way I see it, I'm not going to be an internet sensation anytime soon. I might live another 20 years and who knows. By then there might be an "Alien" season and Rocket launchers might be the smallest caliber allowed. :)

Back