BuckHunter Likes Bullet/Sabot Switch

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I decided to try the Barnes TEZ 250gr flat base bullet with a Harvester smooth black sabot combo out of my old Traditions BuckHunter 50 cal with a 1:32 twist barrel. This is mainly a backup rifle and has not been hunting in a while. It's a dirty rifle when shooting and has some pitting in the bore (I forgot to clean it many years ago after shootin Pyrodex pellets, still kickin myself :nono: ) but it's still holding up well and always shoots good for me.

CopyofBuckHunter_zps0558742e.jpg

100yds, 1st shot lowest on target, 2nd furthest left, 3-4-5-6 fairly close group, should be a good hunting load,
so far all my rifles are liking the smooth black Harvester sabots better than the MMPs
CopyofBuckHunterwith250grTEZHSBS_zpsd66421a0.jpg

I think my rifle was made in '99 and purchased by my wife new for $110. Quite a difference in price compared to my other muzzleloaders. I'm not a big Traditions fan but this rifle is holding up better than my ex-pursuit xlt. The trigger on the BuckHunter from the factory was very heavy and lots of creep but is fully adjustable and after tweaking it, feels pretty good. Someday I'm going to buy some big full bore conicals and see how it does.

very good shooting. Them older rifles might be dirty, but they operate easy, and don't tend to give you headaches. With that kind of accuracy, a deer would not stand a chance.

Squeeze said:
Is that ramrod an old aluminum arrow? :yeah:

Yes, Easton 2117 with a carbon arrow in the middle so I could attach the end points from the old rod.
Works fairly well, not quite like solid aluminum but better than the flimsy fiberglass rod that came with it

BuckDoeHunter said:
I decided to try the Barnes TEZ 250gr flat base bullet with a Harvester smooth black sabot combo out of my old Traditions BuckHunter 50 cal with a 1:32 twist barrel. This is mainly a backup rifle and has not been hunting in a while. It's a dirty rifle when shooting and has some pitting in the bore (I forgot to clean it many years ago after shootin Pyrodex pellets, still kickin myself :nono: ) but it's still holding up well and always shoots good for me.

CopyofBuckHunter_zps0558742e.jpg

100yds, 1st shot lowest on target, 2nd furthest left, 3-4-5-6 fairly close group, should be a good hunting load,
so far all my rifles are liking the smooth black Harvester sabots better than the MMPs
CopyofBuckHunterwith250grTEZHSBS_zpsd66421a0.jpg

I think my rifle was made in '99 and purchased by my wife new for $110. Quite a difference in price compared to my other muzzleloaders. I'm not a big Traditions fan but this rifle is holding up better than my ex-pursuit xlt. The trigger on the BuckHunter from the factory was very heavy and lots of creep but is fully adjustable and after tweaking it, feels pretty good. Someday I'm going to buy some big full bore conicals and see how it does.

BuckDoeHunter -

I would like to try the same TEZ 250 / Harvester arrangement that you did - it's proven !

What propellant did you use? ....and how much did you use? (I'm guessing it was Pyrodex, by your comment regarding your Buck Hunter being a dirty rifle)

I was able to find 50 caliber Harvester smooth black sabots at Cabelas, but it appears the "Barnes TEZ 250gr flat base bullets" are only available with sabots already in place - did you purchase the Barnes 250 grain flat base bullets in bulk?.... or did you merely replace the factory Barnes plastic with the 50 caliber Harvester smooth black sabots?

This forum is awesome !

Thanks for your help......

nummy

BuckDoeHunter -

Even though I don't know you personally, you were the FIRST person I wanted to share my success with !

I shot a whitetail buck at 106 yards Wednesday afternoon. Apparently I dropped the deer right where it stood. I didn't actually see it fall due to the smoke - when it dissipated, the deer was out of sight. Thankfully, I could see a small white spot from my tree stand, and was able to verify that it was the underside of the deer with my binoculars.

I didn't think I was ever going to get a chance to try-out the 250 grain Barnes T-EZ / Harvester sabot arrangement you recommended.

Getting my Traditions Buck Hunter sighted-in was a bit of a pain, but once I did, it was smooth sailing.

I did what you suggested with the knurling, and I made it a point to always load the sabot with one of the petals pointing straight-up for better consistency.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me with my Traditions Buck Hunter. I agree it is a dirty little gun to clean, but there's nothing better than confidence when it comes to shooting it.

Thanks again for your time !

Mark
a.k.a. nummy

BuckDoeHunter -

I forgot to mention that I used 90 grains of Pyrodex Supreme and the new "40% hotter" #11 caps with your 250 T-EZ and Harvester sabot arrangement.

I shot 8 rounds with no issues; 7 rounds for sighting in the gun, and a single shot at the deer........

nummy

Do you think is a good option to use 200 gr (4 pellets of 50 gr) as the maximum load for a Premier Accutip bullet of 250 gr in my Buckhunter 1-32 50 Cal?

Do you think is a good option to use 200 gr (4 pellets of 50 gr) as the maximum load for a Premier Accutip bullet of 250 gr in my Buckhunter 1-32 50 Cal?

No.

When I got my Traditions BuckHunter, it came with no. 11 caps and was rated for 100gr of loose powder. When I converted it over to 209 primers, the manual stated 150gr of loose powder could be used due to the heavier bolt spring supplied in the kit.

Use the load that nummy used, not the one that is published for a Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader.

Last edited:
No.

When I got my Traditions BuckHunter, it came with no. 11 caps and was rated for 100gr of loose powder. When I converted it over to 209 primers, the manual stated 150gr of loose powder could be used due to the heavier bolt spring supplied in the kit.

Use the load that nummy used, not the one that is published for a Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader.
Could and should are 2 different things. With 150 grains you’ll be shooting the equivalent of a .300 Weatherby Magnum with no muzzle brake and a sporter barrel.

It should be noted too that the 150gr volume max of loose powder is for real black or Pyrodex. All newer Traditions manuals i looked at list 130gr max for Triple7 loose. Pulling the trigger on that baby with 3 pellets wont be any fun at all and expensive to shoot it. If you want that kind of performance buy something else that is Blackhorn209 ready.

Latest posts

Back