Buffalo Arms Molds VS Accurate Bullet Molds

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try opining on stuff you know ,not what you think you know and everyone else will smile(REALLY) Ed

Exactly :lewis:

When someone comes at me with a “Matter of fact” type Post, Trying to say, or prove me Wrong, They had better have all of Their Poop 💩 in 1 Pile, Cuz i can GUARANTEE ya that i do, or I wouldn’t have posted

I would suspect any out of roundness is caused by 2 variables.
1. Clamping the mold too tight in a 4 jaw chuck (flexing the mold)
2. The cutter shape, primary and secondary rake of the cutting edge allowing it to ‘dig’ into the mold block at the parting lines. (Photo)
I spoke to Paul Jones (BACO uses his mold design) about 15 years ago when I had an issue cutting at the nose point - he was a great help explaining. He was a tool & die guy who had all the best equipment.
078271F0-2E36-4293-8665-347194032571.jpeg

I would suspect any out of roundness is caused by 2 variables.
1. Clamping the mold too tight in a 4 jaw chuck (flexing the mold)
2. The cutter shape, primary and secondary rake of the cutting edge allowing it to ‘dig’ into the mold block at the parting lines. (Photo)
I spoke to Paul Jones (BACO uses his mold design) about 15 years ago when I had an issue cutting at the nose point - he was a great help explaining. He was a tool & die guy who had all the best equipment.
View attachment 14519

I fully agree Rick. Some of my Accurate Molds are pretty Close, and Some are Not, I have some that are out of round as far as .003 (as in my Video when i started this Thread) My BACO Molds on the other hand are not at all like that, They are as Close to perfect as it gets. There is a Difference in the Quality of Bullet they Drop, a BIG one

I am not bashing Accurate Molds in anyway, I have done a LOT of Business with Tom, and have Sent MANY MANY Customers to him. I actually prefer Accurate Molds Sprue Plate design WAY over SAECO’s Sprue Plate design (Buffalo Arms uses SAECO Mold Blocks) I have never been a Fan of SAECO’s “Centered“ Sprue Plate setup. It’s All in what one gets use to. At the end of the day the Goal is to make Good Bullets, Regardless of the Mold, if you are Happy with the Results you are getting? That is what Counts :lewis:

Since you don’t own one, You obviously know NOTHING about Buffalo Arms Co. Molds, and their STRICT, TIGHT Tolerances. I on the other hand do :lewis:
I think that the BACO molds are good because yours and other shooters experience, but this doesn't mean that other makers are working with lower quality standards. So your statements are highly opinable like your felt wads: they are working good for you, but not for all the shooters.

I think that the BACO molds are good because yours and other shooters experience, but this doesn't mean that other makers are working with lower quality standards. So your statements are highly opinable like your felt wads: they are working good for you, but not for all the shooters.
Pay attention to Idaholewis and his post ,he clearly pointed out the differences in QC and tolerances ,maybe you missed it try again as it is not debatable but fact! same goes for wads just learn how/Ed

In my experience the inexpensive Lee molds have very good quality standard, but I don't like the aluminum. Also, some mold makers here in Italy have very good QC and tight tolerances, but the most important is their experience because a tight tolerance is one of the numerous parameters of a good mold. There are world champion shooters that never had a BACO mold (and just few use the felt wads).

In my experience the inexpensive Lee molds have very good quality standard, but I don't like the aluminum. Also, some mold makers here in Italy have very good QC and tight tolerances, but the most important is their experience because a tight tolerance is one of the numerous parameters of a good mold. There are world champion shooters that never had a BACO mold (and just few use the felt wads).
I own lots of Lee molds ,and a few BACOs and Therefore unlike you I do have experience . You mention Lee as a standard of quality (non existent) compared to most all other molds . They are cheap ,to the (point rather argue) with the mold you just replace it . Where they shine is in handgun /round ball and other applications not (requiring) precision as in bulk close range practice or round balls being patched making perfection irrelevant as most consider either long range @ anything approaching 100 yds where as precision casting for long range (pick the yardage} requires precision casting with (Precise molds) to begin to compete ! As I stated Lee makes molds for the masses ,not for a competitive shooter . The long range guys (ALL) successful have one thing in common ,they use the absolute best molds they know of (called experience ) and not conjecture or the limited experience displayed here . Education is what folks come here for ,some are just resistant/ Ed

I know professional and competitive shooters using the Lee molds with excellent results. The long range guys usually use customized molds but sometimes appreciate the "standard" molds because their accuracy. Pedersoli makes very good molds that give rough bullets, but they are used with success in many matches, long distances included. In the attached photo you can see a grouping @100m realized with a Pedersoli Hawken .50 and open iron sights, the bullets are coming from a very rough and unprecise Pedersoli mold.

20190516_120741.jpgd.

I know professional and competitive shooters using the Lee molds with excellent results. The long range guys usually use customized molds but sometimes appreciate the "standard" molds because their accuracy. Pedersoli makes very good molds that give rough bullets, but they are used with success in many matches, long distances included. In the attached photo you can see a grouping @100m realized with a Pedersoli Hawken .50 and open iron sights, the bullets are coming from a very rough and unprecise Pedersoli mold.

View attachment 14797d.
Yup and Idaholewis shoots open sight groups @1100 yds that beats that easy with BACO molds but hey who cares when you know what (you know )think I"m done with this as it is bring new meaning to beating a dead horse/ Good luck with what ever you think you know/Ed

View attachment 14797d.
Nice rifle. Were you shooting from a bench? Prone?

Pay attention to Idaholewis and his post ,he clearly pointed out the differences in QC and tolerances ,maybe you missed it try again as it is not debatable but fact! same goes for wads just learn how/Ed

I’m not gonna argue with Claudingus, I showed, and stated Facts. Anyone is welcome to them, or leave them, That’s up to you? My feelings aren’t hurt either way :lewis:

Back