Buffalo cow

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushfire

Reaction score
I also shot a buffalo cow, this was a really enjoyable hunt. The guide was happy with the fact that I'm a competent diy hunter so let me lead the stalk. We travelled along some water courses for a couple of kms before glassing up a mob of buffalo. Got into 80m before taking this beautiful cow with a 375 H&H. She is as big as she looks!

20210819_172935.jpg

My dad took a bull and cow buffalo, as well as a boar and a scrub bull (wild cattle).

He used the guides 416 Ruger.

I have no affiliation with the guide or any kickbacks but it was an incredible experience and if anyone has ever been tempted to hunt Australia's northern Territory I'd highly recommend them.

20210819_144931.jpg

20210818_160645.jpg

20210818_082755.jpg

20210816_160441.jpg

SUPER COOL Bushfire!! :lewis: That looks like a little Jagdterrier dog, The Guides?
Yes and yes, he was a great asset. When my old man shot the red scrubber he wanted to charge but the jagd managed to keep him occupied enough for the old boy to put a finisher in him. He wore 4 416 bullets all to the vitals before he went down.

Yes and yes, he was a great asset. When my old man shot the red scrubber he wanted to charge but the jagd managed to keep him occupied enough for the old boy to put a finisher in him. He wore 4 416 bullets all to the vitals before he went down.

Sounds like it was a SUPER Exciting Hunt! I know that Breed of Dog quite well, they are INSANE Gamey

Sounds like it was a SUPER Exciting Hunt! I know that Breed of Dog quite well, they are INSANE Gamey

It was just such a different experience from deer hunting, a different kind of adrenaline, different country, different calibres (I do love big bore), and big tough animals.

I'm definitely pro Jagd now, they're sweet little dogs around camp but beasts in the field!

Damn.....4 shots with a 416 in the red bull? Tough old boy. Any weight estimates on him?

Damn.....4 shots with a 416 in the red bull? Tough old boy. Any weight estimates on him?

The guide did say normally it doesn't take that much to put one down. I guess the down side to the dog is it gets the adrenaline pumping.

Not sure maybe 700-750kg. We definitely saw bigger bodied animals but this guy was no slouch.

Tasted good too, scrub bull satay
20210819_192717.jpg

Looks like you guys got some good hunting in. Definitely looks like a place that needs to be added to my list!

It was a great time and great value. I'm mostly a diy hunter but for less than $4500usd to take a bull and cow, including travel, accommodation, food and guide services it was a good deal. We're planning on going back next year to hunt banteng and maybe the year after to hunt buffalo again as a backpack walking hunt. It's around 400,000 acres of free range in some remote country so lots to explore.

Would you guys mind sharing the outfitter info? Lord willing that is our next big trip as soon as they open up travel. Thank you!

I also shot a buffalo cow, this was a really enjoyable hunt. The guide was happy with the fact that I'm a competent diy hunter so let me lead the stalk. We travelled along some water courses for a couple of kms before glassing up a mob of buffalo. Got into 80m before taking this beautiful cow with a 375 H&H. She is as big as she looks!

View attachment 15969
Those are some REAL NICE HORNS for a water buffalo cow!!!!!

Back