Build a Knight 45 mountaineer mzl

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stunned to the hilt.As you all know I have been looking for a trigger assembly for my Knight mountaineer in 45 cal I am piecing together.When I called Knight to check on the price of one,I thought I might give up on building it.Well there must be a Santa Claus or God Fairy Mother looking out for me.Just a little bit ago UPS truck dropped off a small package for me.When I checked the return address it just has Arizona and zip code on it.So I tore into it not knowing what to expect.In it was a bright and yellow box and on that box it says CUSTOM Timney triggers on the box with 75 years on it.Bright red as red can be.On the in voice it says KNIGHT MOUNTAINEER RH set at 4lbs.It has a little personal note on that says ''A gift for you,enjoy.''Now I know nobody that would do this and I for sure have had no contact with Timney Triggers.I did check to see if it fit my Knight 45 sml,and it is a perfect match.Light as a feather compared to the factory trigger.It came from Timney triggers but no name who sent it.If it was some one from the forum or who ever I greatly am thankful for the gift.God knows I could not have afforded this trigger.I guess maybe not to look a gift horse in the mouth.Hell no one even in my family knows Timney triggers let alone afford one.I thought they dealt strictly with Knight rifles.Well I guess the next step is start saving the money for the trigger and use it for the barrel assembly,depending if I can make up my mind the ultra lite barrel or the mountaineer barrel.Once again I am eternaly grateful for this gift and who ever sent it.Jim:dance2:

Stunned to the hilt.As you all know I have been looking for a trigger assembly for my Knight mountaineer in 45 cal I am piecing together.When I called Knight to check on the price of one,I thought I might give up on building it.Well there must be a Santa Claus or God Fairy Mother looking out for me.Just a little bit ago UPS truck dropped off a small package for me.When I checked the return address it just has Arizona and zip code on it.So I tore into it not knowing what to expect.In it was a bright and yellow box and on that box it says CUSTOM Timney triggers on the box with 75 years on it.Bright red as red can be.On the in voice it says KNIGHT MOUNTAINEER RH set at 4lbs.It has a little personal note on that says ''A gift for you,enjoy.''Now I know nobody that would do this and I for sure have had no contact with Timney Triggers.I did check to see if it fit my Knight 45 sml,and it is a perfect match.Light as a feather compared to the factory trigger.It came from Timney triggers but no name who sent it.If it was some one from the forum or who ever I greatly am thankful for the gift.God knows I could not have afforded this trigger.I guess maybe not to look a gift horse in the mouth.Hell no one even in my family knows Timney triggers let alone afford one.I thought they dealt strictly with Knight rifles.Well I guess the next step is start saving the money for the trigger and use it for the barrel assembly,depending if I can make up my mind the ultra lite barrel or the mountaineer barrel.Once again I am eternaly grateful for this gift and who ever sent it.Jim:dance2:
That’s sooooo cool! Call it “ good Karma “ from someone that understands what “ paying it forward “ means. I love hearing stories like this.

Man that’s just awesome. I have some friends checking for a used disc or extreme for a donor rifle. I already contacted timney and they wouldn’t sell me a trigger. I’m truly happy you got one.

Timney CANT sell you a trigger if their contract with Knight is anything like ive heard about with others working with Knight. They have like a 2yr no compete agreement. They can only sell to Knight and its authorized associates.

I know who can though but they probably wont....Velocity trigger made most of the triggers for Knight. Nothing wrong at all with the upper end Vehr/Velocity triggers. Try calling Velocity and see...Cant hurt to ask. If enough people asked maybe they would run a batch.
https://velocitytriggers.com/about/
Or try Vehr Manufacturing the parent company for Velocity. Tom Vehr is the guy that worked for Timney and built the triggers for Knight.
Phone: (602) 269-5747

Timney CANT sell you a trigger if their contract with Knight is anything like ive heard about with others working with Knight. They have like a 2yr no compete agreement. They can only sell to Knight and its authorized associates.

I know who can though but they probably wont....Velocity trigger made most of the triggers for Knight. Nothing wrong at all with the upper end Vehr/Velocity triggers. Try calling Velocity and see...Cant hurt to ask. If enough people asked maybe they would run a batch.
https://velocitytriggers.com/about/
Or try Vehr Manufacturing the parent company for Velocity. Tom Vehr is the guy that worked for Timney and built the triggers for Knight.
Phone: (602) 269-5747
Yes I contacted Vehr also. Struck out. They no longer make that trigger group and they do not have any old ones laying around. I just have to be patient and find an old rusted disc, or any other bolt action knight. There has to be some somewhere. Every gun shop I’ve stopped at doesn’t have one unfortunately and most have told me they don’t even buy used muzzleloaders because they are usually rusted up. Or there’s not a good market for them.

50cal to 45cal Mountaineer is a 100% direct part swap. All Knight bolts and triggers (Ulite, Mount, Extreme, Elite) swap. Mountaineer and Ulite use a different breech plug than the Extremes/Elites.

Elites, Ulites and Moutnaineers all have the cantilever lug. Extreme lug is the old style.

So yes a 45cal Mountaineer barrel will drop right into your 50cal parts. You might need to shim the plug to get the same primer fit but it will go right in.

This is a 45cal barrel kit dropped in a older Knight TH stock, older Knight trigger, Lehigh plug, Elite bolt internals and a bolt body from Sportsmans. Only thing this one needed was the lug area needed a tiny bit of work because its a Extreme stock. It drops right in my Elite stock.
USaNr9f.jpg

I was reading thru this original thread and saw this post by GM54-120. So if I'm reading this correctly, I can purchase a new Mountaineer 45 cal barrel asm from Knight, and with some minor stock fitting, I can drop this new barrel into my ORIG DISC Thumbhole Stock, and use my Orig DISC Bolt internals w/Mountaineer Bolt Body, and Orig DISC trigger? Are the Bolt internals different from the Orig DISC to the Elite?

I was reading thru this original thread and saw this post by GM54-120. So if I'm reading this correctly, I can purchase a new Mountaineer 45 cal barrel asm from Knight, and with some minor stock fitting, I can drop this new barrel into my ORIG DISC Thumbhole Stock, and use my Orig DISC Bolt internals w/Mountaineer Bolt Body, and Orig DISC trigger? Are the Bolt internals different from the Orig DISC to the Elite?
Correct

Other than the need for a "tool" on the older DISCs the internals interchange.

So if I'm reading this correctly, I can purchase a new Mountaineer 45 cal barrel asm from Knight, and with some minor stock fitting, I can drop this new barrel into my ORIG DISC Thumbhole Stock

Got it covered ;)

BTW, ive never seen a DISC Original with a TH stock. Ive seen Extreme TH stocks but only the newer Extreme stocks were inlet for both lugs. Ive got 1 that wont fit a forked lug.

Elite and LRH stocks are drop in ready as far as the lug area goes. My Ulite barrel fits perfectly in my Elite stock.

That's pretty cool. Just proves what I've been saying for ages. There are some pretty great people in the hunting and shooting community.

Latest posts

Back