Build

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white eagle

Reaction score
So let us say you are wanting to build a muzzleloader
Which would you choose either to use as a base platform or modify an existing rifle?
I see a lot of Rem 700 upgrades is that the standard?
I know I would go with a Knight but that is from my own experiences with them

Depends on what you want to end up with. The Omega is my favorite platform and I have a couple SMLs in the works.

But I do plan to build a 700 and/or Savage based rife in the future because of the wide array of parts/stocks available.

curious as to what most use for the start
is there one that makes a better start than the rest?

curious as to what most use for the start
is there one that makes a better start than the rest?
If I was going to have only 1 ( that is a terrible thought 😁). it would probably be Rem 700 ml conversion. Hard to beat a bolt platform . Omega is great too . Simple easy platform but I would go 700 ml. unlimited options too compared to Omega . But I do like the Omega 61F1F619-0BCE-4746-8092-4C7B565E1BD6.jpegC7E4E105-37FB-460A-9D37-9B53A30A0A4A.jpeg

that 's not as fun as putting it together yourself
and yes having 1 is sacrilege and totally uncalled for
I was going to the wayback and pulled out my 54 cal Hawken and just started looking at GPR in 54 cal

Theres a strong case for building from a Howa 1500. Ask Mtn Monkey. Not as common, but a lighter gun can be made. My 700 is just to heavy to hunt with. The Woodman Patriot or a CVA 45/70 conversion are really handy, lightweight guns.

If you want a 300 yard rifle, you might consider a Savage 110 type rifle where you can easily replace the barrel and the bolthead, and use some fairly low pressure loads with sabots and smokeless powder. You can still find a few good used rifles around. Since you are probably going to through the barrel away, looks do not matter.

Arrowhead 45 caliber for Savages:
https://www.arrowheadrifles.com/product/savage_prefit_barrels/
You could also buy a 45/70 break-open rifle and have a gunsmith convert it to a muzzle-loader. The new CVA rifles with the brake were around $600 the last time I checked.

If you want a 400 yard plus rifle you are going to need a larger diameter barrel shank to handle the higher pressures, and you need a gunsmith to modify a Remington 700 ML rifle or other rifle. I have a Rem 700ML that will shoot a 300 grain bullet at over Mach 3.

Last edited:
Howa_ mini action,,, Hankins break action smaller plug just fits through the receiver ,one of them it fit ,the other rifle plug had to be filed slightly,makes an excellent 7_8 lb scoped smokeless rig! I have Remington 700s, a smokeless omega ,,the mini handles better than any of them and I really like the two stage trigger. Also have a couple of howa 1500 short actions,, about the same as a Remington 700 again though I really like the two stage trigger I don't think you can go wrong with any of these platforms you just need a good Barrel on any one of them and you'll be fine

Majority of the smokeless guns built today are so heavy they are in a sense Target rifles only I realize you can carry them hunting or go get on the edge of a field or a deer stand ,they are just not very practical for that if I were looking to build a smokeless rig that's what I would define first do I want a rifle I can carry and hunt with practically or do I want to target rifle ,,,most accurate rifle barrel I have shot so far has been a barrelnut brux,,,lighter taper,,, you can go that light and even a little bit lighter and still have phenomenal accuracy

Back