Building an Alexander Henry Target Rifle from a Rod England Kit

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting and Target Shooting' started by Curtis, Jul 15, 2019.

Modern Muzzleloader

Help Support Modern Muzzleloader:

1. Aug 9, 2019 #41

52Bore

52Bore

52Bore

I believe that’s a Davis lock. No different the a Roller.
    I told Rod (I understand about cost) that I don’t know why someone doesn’t copy a British Best lock.
    Note the diameter of the tumbler and sear engagement angle.

0096C7C7-E928-41FF-83EE-6FEF44B767C7.jpeg

I’ll get a sketch of the PT plug.

2. Aug 9, 2019 #42

52Bore

52Bore

52Bore

This was copied from an original Whitworth Target Rifle. (You’ll have to CB your plug). Saw nearly same (no stakes) on a Watson d/b that I replaced. Looked as if someone tried the dig it out.

Excuse my sketches..
    Plug with soft material plug -flush with bottom of CB.
    Counterbore 0.050” +/-
    Displace CB under the edge (Make tool)
    Stake up points to embed into PT
    Swage PT plug (thicker than CB)
    Peen displaced metal down, if needed
    File flat
    9DB03C42-3002-412A-A401-42A177784CC7.jpeg
    D67F102A-DC5F-40D8-9064-9EF255DC1005.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  3. Aug 10, 2019 #43

Curtis

Curtis

Curtis

That is one nice looking lock! I can see how the larger tumbler would provide for enhanced function. I whole-heartedly agree that it would be a good thing if someone would start making something similar. Perhaps we can goad Rod into tooling up for one, he is continually trying to make improvements to his parts.

Rod specifically stated that he is CNC'ing his own lock plates and parts - to quote "I make my own locks with the English style bridle. It has been said before that I use Davis. I don't."

Curtis

4. Aug 10, 2019 #44

Curtis

Curtis

Curtis

The info and sketches are just the ticket 52Bore! I should be able to do that without too much difficulty - I have made gold touch holes in a similar fashion, inlaying the gold over a internally coned vent liner. Is platinum fairly soft like gold?

P2271114.JPG

Curtis

5. Aug 10, 2019 #45

jims

jims

jims

As I understand it in their purer form platinum is harder than gold but as gold is often alloyed I think 18kt. gold would be harder than what platinum is. You can research that I am sure. Certainly different colors with the two unless you go to "white" gold.
    Again I am impressed with your work. Keep the photos coming.

6. Aug 10, 2019 #46

52Bore

52Bore

52Bore

Could of sworn when Rod came to my home to look at some originals ( soon after he bought Don’s stuff) he told me he was planning on using Davis locks. Oh well, I’ll see him in a few weeks as I told him when we pulled locks out - note the geometry, especially the tumbler and sear engagement.
    PT - I find 99.9% pure PT to be very soft compared to 95/5%. I’ve never worked with gold.
    You should end up with this.
    99E58AEA-7C1B-4C97-8C13-6C60941FBB41.jpeg

7. Aug 11, 2019 #47

Curtis

Curtis

Curtis

It is entirely possible that Rod had used or planned to use Davis locks in the beginning, I never specifically asked him that question. I know that he didn't get a great deal of parts from Don Brown's estate, and very little or no tooling. It is also possible his lock internals are very similar to Davis's or even based on them, I also never asked him about that and have not handled a Davis lock. I have been told by folks that have used Davis locks for an Alexander Henry rifle that the lock plate on the Davis is shaped differently and can cause issues at the lower front of the lock panel. When you see him in a few months he can provide definitive answers to all those questions.

Also. thanks for the above photo, it shows exactly what I need for the platinum plug, as well as great details of what I need to emulate when I get to the final shaping of the standing and patent breech down to the height of the lock plate. I found a few photos on the web but yours represents the detail better than any I found!

Curtis

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  8. Aug 11, 2019 #48

Curtis

Curtis

Curtis

jims, thanks for the info and the kind words!

Curtis

9. Aug 14, 2019 #49

Curtis

Curtis

Curtis

This is likely my last post on this gun for a week or two, I will be attending the CLA show and have some other obligations.

After reading one of westbj2's posts I took a closer look at the nipple seating. The nipple is platinum lined and the bottom is rounded with a gentle radius. The nipple seat in the patent breech was flat on the bottom and the nipple shoulder was standing proud when the nipple was bottomed out.

P8111940.JPG

Since the snail was already threaded I needed a special tool that wouldn't bugger the threads while cutting a radiused bottom to the nipple seat. So I took a broken drill shank that would slip into the hole, filed it to the profile of the convex nipple bottom, then filed some fine shallow cutting teeth on the improvised tool:

P8111934.JPG

First two teeth filed in:

P8111935.JPG

All teeth cut:

P8111936.JPG

P8111938.JPG

The cutter was then hardened and drawn back to a straw color. I lubricated the end, chucked it in a hand drill and carefully went to work on the nipple seat, removing chips fairly often. The chips were fine like dust and made a slurry in the cutting oil.

P8111941.JPG

P8111942.JPG

The fine teeth left a polished surface on the nipple seat. I ran a bottoming tap down the hole, painted the nipple end with a blue Sharpie and replaced the nipple. In this photo I still had a couple of thousandths to go before the shoulder was seated. The blue marker on the nipple indicated a good seat. I will have to take another photograph of the completely seated nipple.

P8111943.JPG

Curtis

10. Aug 14, 2019 #50

Curtis

Curtis

Curtis

I decided it was time to fit the trigger guard to the stock, but first I needed to install the screw at the rear of the trigger plate.

P8121947.JPG

P8121948.JPG

I had to do some bending of the guard to match the stock profile, then held it in place to scribe around the finial. Wood was removed, inlet black painted on the guard, and the fit then cut process was repeated until the finial was all the way in.

P8121949.JPG

I got it center punched for the screw hole and had to quit for the day.

P8131950.JPG

That's all for now!

Curtis

45-70 likes this.
  11. Aug 15, 2019 at 1:39 PM #51

52Bore

52Bore

52Bore

Tell uncle Jim that the guy from TN said the bottom was angled from the tap drill point - not flat. lol
    I’ll be at the CLA on Saturday only- maybe I’ll see you?

12. Aug 16, 2019 at 2:22 AM #52

Curtis

Curtis

Curtis

I'll pass that on to uncle Jim! I will be at the CLA show Friday and Sat till about 1:00pm or so. I have a gun at Terry Leeper's table (the NMLRA Gunsmithing seminar table), right by the doors to the big back room, on the left hand side. I'll be looking for you! Art tells me I need a couple of spare nipples, will talk to you Saturday.