Building an Alexander Henry Target Rifle from a Rod England Kit

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks 52 Bore. Not gonna make it to the shooting workshop, wish I could! : (

Curtis

In Post41 52bore comments about English Locks. Shewn is a Jos.Brazier Lock partly made up with Bridle And Sear from original old parts from Braziers Workshop in Brewood Nr.Wolverhampton,UK. with an horseshoe 4 pin bridle. The Unusual 2 pin one is from a Cooper & Goodman 52 bore C B L Match Rifle Dated 1861 Patent. that was shot in the MLAIC Ladies matches for a number of years as a M/L... GREENSWYLDE. p.s. Curtiss's work is stunning..014.JPG012.JPG

Thanks for the kind words Greenswylde! Sent the breech, standing breech and lock out for color case work last week, will post some pics when I get the parts back and the rust bluing on the remaining parts finished.

Curtis

The Colour Hardening on the 4 pin was in my own Muffle.( 2 layers of weldmesh with Freezer insulation between heated with a cooker element. Easily reached 750 + C.) Parts packed in Course bone meal in a sealed iron container. Tipped into aerated cold water after 4 hours. Static parts are made from Mild( .06 Carbon ) steel. Lock parts .01 tool steel, springs from CS70 ( EN 42) with a Blackeley hammer casting. Some welding to reshape a bit.. As with originals which Often had barrels changed to keep up with new developments and left White my Metford is uncoloured.. Keep up with the good work !! Have a GOOD CHRISTMAS and A HAPPY NEW YEAR.. OLD DOG..

A couple more English Lock photos for 52bore. A pair of Ring Bridle locks from a Double 9 bore and chambered for 2.5"x 10b. by Wm. Sumner-Liverpool. Engraved on the rib, Converted by Wn.----- with Jones patent under lever.. The single lock is from my TWIGG Duck gun circa 1775-80. Has a breech conversion to Knox form engraved I.Walker _1805 then converted to Percussion at some point. Sorry about the camera shake on the second one but it is Christmas..have a GOOD NEW YEAR,ALL GREENSWYLDE.. . 031.JPG

Attachments

• 035.JPG
    035.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 19
Do you believe in Ghosts ?? On the photo of the Cooper's Lock There is some writing showing on the top. It is not visible to the naked eye. The whole bridle is a burnished finish in true British style. I can only assume that it was stamped but then filed flat,polished,then burnished. Burnishers were usually made from old files with the teeth ground off then Highly polished. The writing is a mystery. I will have it X-rayed some day.. The main spring on the 4 pin is was only a slave put on as a tryout. It's welded at the bend on the top leaf. Using Micro-Plasma I get fairly good results using old spring as filler.. GREENSWYLDE..

Last edited:
Bump, this is amazing. Love the work @Curtis !

Thank you Bad Karma, you are too kind! The lock and such have been color cased and I charcoal blued the trigger guard and buttplate. I just have to finish the rust blueing of the barrel and I will post photos of the competed rifle.

Curtis

Hi Curtiss, It's all looking Great.. How about something New for the Next one. 1861 Basket work chequering and Chequered late J.Brown butt plate on my Replica Metford.(some cross overs. Too many late evenings.About 3 weeks..)011.JPG

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 16
Hi SORRY!!, Windows 10 won't reproduse my Larger photo's.Total waste of time . I seem to have lost 1000's of Photo's. How can I get Back to Sensible "7"..OLD DOG..

Last edited:
Hi Curtiss, It's all looking Great.. How about something New for the Next one. 1861 Basket work chequering and Chequered late J.Brown butt plate on my Replica Metford.(some cross overs. Too many late evenings.About 3 weeks..)View attachment 16925
What weapon is that? Very interesting Greenswylde.
Curtis you are a true artisan bar none. That has to be some of the best work i have seen in a good while.
:bravo:
DL

What weapon is that? Very interesting Greenswylde.
Curtis you are a true artisan bar none. That has to be some of the best work i have seen in a good while.
:bravo:
DL
Hello Lee, It is a Cooper & Goodman Capping B/L,from Cooper's 2nd model of his 1861 Patent. Set up as a Long range match rifle. .452" with 5 groove ratchet rifling. I know it shoots well out to 1000yds used as a M/L. & and has put in numerous 100mtr PL7's in the mid Nineties with a modified breach plug to push the bullet into the rifling. The butt plate is on my own built .461" Gibbs-Metford replica. The rear sights are my own design in the spirit of the original. I agree that Curtis is doing a fabulous job..OLD DOG..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back